Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Question for ep-loving New Wave fans in 1980

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-10, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Back in the late '79/early '80 Epic Records put out a handful of so-called Nu-Disk EPs (featuring bands like The Continentals or New Musik). They were mostly poppy "new wave" - I always hated that term - and at the time I enjoyed the shit out of them.

There was one - the band name I cannot remember - that featured what I recall being an absolutely terrific pop tune about a girl name Kyle, and I think the song title was "Oh Kyle". I remember the opening line was "I just met a dream named Kyle..."

This was their only release, as far as I know, and I think the band name may have Pop in it somewhere. Maybe.

I've googled that lyric, as well as NuDisk, etc and I can't find anything to jog my old man memory.

Any other ep-loving New Wave fans from 1980 that can offer a memory spark?

Last edited by Pointyskull; 05-27-10 at 12:51 PM.
Old 05-27-10, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Question for ep-loving New Wave fans in 1980

This is a guess as I've not heard this song but could it be Loose Lips- Kyle? EP was called Hung Up on Pop.

"Gary Ritchie and former "Loose Lips" bandmate Jeff King have been writing and recording music for many years now. They seem to have that special musical bond rarely found these days. They first got together back in 1979 in a very popular Chicago band called "Loose Lips". They, along with Richie Mayer (guitar, vocals) and Danny Welch (bass, vocals, resident pretty boy) were among the top bands in Chicago. In 1980 they released what is now a classic Pop record. "Hung Up On Pop" received heavy air play for quite a while. The band went their separate ways in the mid-80's, but remained good friends. There were even talks of a reunion some years back. But, they came to their collective senses. Richie and Danny check in every once in a while just to make sure G & J are still breathing."

"Their highly acclaimed "HUNG UP ON POP" ep is a pop CLASSIC. If you ever see a copy...Grab it up! With songs like "Kyle", "Suicide Dance" & "Who's Crying Now" they, along with Off Broadway & Pezband were Top of the Pops in the Chicago scene."
Old 05-27-10, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by statcat
This is a guess as I've not heard this song but could it be Loose Lips- Kyle? EP was called Hung Up on Pop.

"Gary Ritchie and former "Loose Lips" bandmate Jeff King have been writing and recording music for many years now. They seem to have that special musical bond rarely found these days. They first got together back in 1979 in a very popular Chicago band called "Loose Lips". They, along with Richie Mayer (guitar, vocals) and Danny Welch (bass, vocals, resident pretty boy) were among the top bands in Chicago. In 1980 they released what is now a classic Pop record. "Hung Up On Pop" received heavy air play for quite a while. The band went their separate ways in the mid-80's, but remained good friends. There were even talks of a reunion some years back. But, they came to their collective senses. Richie and Danny check in every once in a while just to make sure G & J are still breathing."

"Their highly acclaimed "HUNG UP ON POP" ep is a pop CLASSIC. If you ever see a copy...Grab it up! With songs like "Kyle", "Suicide Dance" & "Who's Crying Now" they, along with Off Broadway & Pezband were Top of the Pops in the Chicago scene."
Fucking A++++++++++++

Wow, I'm impressed you had the answer. Alright I was sort of close ("pop" was in the EP title) and then not so close (apparently not a NuDisk release).

Statcat, I once again in your general direction....

Thanks to Statcat's obscure brilliance I found a link with the song, btw:
http://www.reverbnation.com/looselips

Ok, not as great as I remember, but jangly/Knack-ishly entertaining...

Last edited by Pointyskull; 05-27-10 at 01:07 PM.
Old 05-27-10, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Someone is heading to Google Blog Search (me!). Having Off Broadway and Pezband mentioned makes me want to hear this band.
Old 05-27-10, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No problem, glad I guessed right! I've been into a lot of the late 70s/early 80s power pop sounding bands lately but never heard of that one. There's so many I never even knew about until recently.
Old 05-27-10, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by atlantamoi
Someone is heading to Google Blog Search (me!). Having Off Broadway and Pezband mentioned makes me want to hear this band.
No kidding. I've got to resurrect me some Off Broadway. That was some fun stuff that I haven't heard in decades....
Old 05-27-10, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

Slightly off-topic, but I still have my NuDisk releases of The Clash (Black Market Clash) and Cheap Trick (Found all the Parts). These were 10 inch records that most automatic turntables couldn't handle properly. Which was probably why the format was short-lived.
Old 05-27-10, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Damfino
Slightly off-topic, but I still have my NuDisk releases of The Clash (Black Market Clash) and Cheap Trick (Found all the Parts). These were 10 inch records that most automatic turntables couldn't handle properly. Which was probably why the format was short-lived.

I used to have that Black Market Clash, too. Good stuff.
I never had turntable issues, though.
Old 05-28-10, 06:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I bought that first Off Broadway recording when it came out and was shocked to see it come out on CD. Found a stream of that Loose Lips album:

http://www.reverbnation.com/controll...?autoPlay=true
Old 07-24-12, 05:46 PM

"Kyle" by Loose Lips made it onto the Numero Group's Buttons: From Champaign to Chicago compilation of power pop. Great collection of songs.
Old 07-24-12, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Mesh
"Kyle" by Loose Lips made it onto the Numero Group's Buttons: From Champaign to Chicago compilation of power pop. Great collection of songs.
Must...locate....this...
Old 07-27-12, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Loose Lips sound like an inferior 20/20.
Old 07-27-12, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you like this era of music, be sure to check out Blank and Jones' compilations of 12" synthpop/new wave remixes called "so80s". They're up to volume 7 now. They're on Rdio and all completely addictive. Lots of stuff I hadn't heard for twenty years+ on there.