DVD Talk
Directors or writers you wish lightning would strike twice? [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Directors or writers you wish lightning would strike twice?

OldBoy
05-23-10, 04:20 PM
Two movies that i can't get enough of, from this decade at least, are:
Kissing Jessica Stein
Garden State

ever since KJS i have always wanted a follow-up or at least another pairing with Jennifer Westfeldt and Heather Juergensen as they were the writers on the movie.

i've watched it so many times and find it to be just a charming romantic and touching comedy that hits on all cylinders. though each has popped up, to my surprise, here and there as actors, Jennifer more known now as Jon Hamm's other half, they have not done another thing worthwhile together or separate.

Zach Braff's Garden State is one of my most watched movies since 2004 and i love just about everything about it. for a Director's first effort i thought it was a marvel. i too wish he would do something as equally compelling as GS, but alas nothing since and nothing seemingly on the horizon.

so what creative that made a stellar first impression for you would you like to see an equally dazzling follow-up?

Jay G.
05-23-10, 04:44 PM
Primer - writer/director Shane Carruth has literally not made anything since this film, which is a crime.

Six String Samurai - co-writer/director Lance Mungia did a Crow sequel in 2005, but otherwise nothing.

Trevor
05-23-10, 04:51 PM
Darn, I was hoping this thread was about God smiting bad filmmakers.

Jay G.
05-23-10, 04:54 PM
Darn, I was hoping this thread was about God smiting bad filmmakers.
Wouldn't they have to have been struck by lightning once already before you could wish they'd be struck again?

Trevor
05-23-10, 04:57 PM
Wouldn't they have to have been struck by lightning once already before you could wish they'd be struck again?

God watched Zombieland and has learned to double-tap.

PopcornTreeCt
05-23-10, 05:02 PM
George Lucas

Numanoid
05-23-10, 05:07 PM
Darn, I was hoping this thread was about God smiting bad filmmakers.That's what I thought. :lol: Scott needs to work on his thread titles.

Jay G.
05-23-10, 11:47 PM
George Lucas
He had both American Graffiti and Star Wars. Depending on your feelings of THX, he's been struck either 2 or 3 times.

trespoochies
05-24-10, 12:13 AM
Neil LeBute - In The Company of Men. Absolute brilliance. Then...he went weird. Your Friends and Neighbors was a close miss, but he quickly went into a dark downward spiral with Nurse Betty, Possession, Lakeview Terrace, The Wicker Man, and that dreaded Death At A Funeral remake.

Navinabob
05-24-10, 01:18 AM
The guys behind Six String Samurai, Boondock Saints, Versus, or Twilight Samurai.

Trevor
05-24-10, 07:30 AM
He had both American Graffiti and Star Wars. Depending on your feelings of THX, he's been struck either 2 or 3 times.
Yes, in 1971, 1973, and 1978. Pretty good run, but would have been nice to see something else decent from him.

RichC2
05-24-10, 10:19 AM
The guys behind Six String Samurai, Boondock Saints, Versus, or Twilight Samurai.

The directors of Versus and Twilight Samurai have both directed solid movies since... SSS and BS, not so much.

My pick is Richard Kelly who had a reasonable debut with Donnie Darko and has since done shit (Southland Tales, The Box).

Groucho
05-24-10, 10:49 AM
I saw the ads for The Box, had no idea that was Richard Kelly. :lol: Geez.

BJacks
05-24-10, 11:25 AM
Wolfgang Peterson and Richard Donner. Petersen is working on a big-budget alien invasion flick that is looking like a summer tentpole, so that's promising. Donner I'm not sure what he has cooking but would love to see him make a triumphant return.

Groucho
05-24-10, 11:29 AM
Donner is 80 years old! :eek:

TheMovieman
05-24-10, 12:02 PM
What about Matt Damon/Ben Affleck for Good Will Hunting? They won Oscars for it but as far as I know, haven't written anything together since.

Shane Black, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. Not sure if he counts since he did write Lethal Weapon, but I was impressed with his directorial debut with KKBB, but I don't see anything on the horizon for him and that was 5 years ago now.

RichC2
05-24-10, 12:40 PM
I think Shane Black was tapped to direct Doc Savage for 2011.

TheMovieman
05-24-10, 12:51 PM
I think Shane Black was tapped to direct Doc Savage for 2011.

Ah, I see that in the development on IMDb (need Pro to view the details).

Hokeyboy
05-24-10, 12:54 PM
Surprised at the love for "Six String Samurai". I personally wanted to drown everyone involved with that movie in a horse trough. Starting with that fucking shrieking kid...

My pick would be Jack Nicholson, as a director. I happened to really enjoy "The Two Jakes" and probably am one of the extreme few (it's no "Chinatown", but few films are).

BJacks
05-24-10, 01:17 PM
Donner is 80 years old! :eek:Wow, you're right. Then I really hope he comes back swinging. He can't let Timeline and 16 Blocks be the last films of his career.

MrSmearkase
05-24-10, 01:23 PM
/\ I liked 16 Blocks :shrug:

notkevinbacon
05-24-10, 01:44 PM
Neil LeBute - In The Company of Men. Absolute brilliance. Then...he went weird. Your Friends and Neighbors was a close miss, but he quickly went into a dark downward spiral with Nurse Betty, Possession, Lakeview Terrace, The Wicker Man, and that dreaded Death At A Funeral remake.

In the Company of Men is his masterpiece (thus far), but I really, really liked The Shape of Things and would personally consider it a success. I also rather enjoyed Nurse Betty and Lakview Terrace when I saw them, but neither stands out as much as In the Company of Men and The Shape of Things.

Not counting his plays and his short film, <b>Martin McDonagh</b> who did <b>In Bruges</b> is someone I am eagerly awaiting a film follow up from. Though it seems he's hinted at a somewhat lengthy time frame before that happens.

fmian
05-24-10, 06:58 PM
IMO Bryan Singer has not done anything near as good as The Usual Suspects.
It's a rare treat when a film like that comes along.
I think he needs to tone it down and go lower budget. Focus on the characters more.

And I'll also give a thumbs up to Shane Curruth and Primer. Based on that movie I could imagine him alongside Nolan and Raimi right now if he kept on writing/directing.

Sessa17
05-24-10, 07:35 PM
IMO Bryan Singer has not done anything near as good as The Usual Suspects.
It's a rare treat when a film like that comes along.
I think he needs to tone it down and go lower budget. Focus on the characters more

Couldn't disagree more. Apt Pupil is an excellent movie & X-men 2 is arguably the best pure "superhero" film to date.

Hokeyboy
05-24-10, 07:54 PM
Couldn't disagree more. Apt Pupil is an excellent movie & X-men 2 is arguably the best pure "superhero" film to date.
I disagree. Apt Pupil was mostly mediocre, X-Men was average, X2 was really good, and Superman Returns was average. Nothing has shown the potential that Usual Suspects promised (above and beyond "the twist", it was still an excellent movie).

For "pure superhero", I'd go with either Superman (the first Reeve) or Iron Man as being the best.

lamphorn
05-25-10, 01:44 AM
Jon Favreau for "Swingers".. I know he didn't technically direct it, but that baby is his. He wrote it, and hasn't done anything comparable since. Yes, he's directed the Iron Man movies and I enjoyed them very much.. but I'd love to see a good contemporary comedy from him again. Hated "Made".

Noah Baumbach- I LOVED his first feature "Kicking and Screaming" (NOT the Will Ferrel soccer movie. The other one), but have generally loathed everything he's done since. Squid and the Whale was just ok, fucking hated the Life Aquatic (he co-wrote), and couldn't make it through 20 minutes of "Margot at the Wedding". Awful. "Greenberg" doesn't look too promising either.

About Affleck/Damon as a screenwriting team. Yes, if they actually wrote Good Will Hunting, I'd love for them to team up again... but I'm one of the doubters. I will say Affleck did a great job directing "Gone Baby Gone".

Perkinsun Dzees
05-25-10, 02:40 AM
Tommy Wiseau

islandclaws
05-25-10, 10:59 AM
Fred Dekker - He's responsible for two of the most-loved cult films in the horror genre: The Monster Squad and Night of the Creeps. He does those two and then - bam! - Robocop 3 flops (hey, the guy's gotta eat!) and he hasn't done a thing since. I know he's had some great ideas brewing for years, but since you're only as good as your last movie in Hollywood, no one has gotten him on anything.

"Savage" Steve Holland - Again, the guy makes two cult films, both darkly humorous comedies, with Better Off Dead and One Crazy Summer - he hasn't done anything since that could touch either film. He's been working, but no one will give him a budget to work with on something new and worthwhile.

Matthew Chmiel
05-25-10, 11:56 AM
Troy Duffy has only directed Boondock Saints... and Boondock Saints II. As long as he keeps directing Boondock Saints films, I'm completely fine.

Bryan Singer? I think he's a great director and his only misfire to this point was Valkyrie. Kills me that Superman Returns got such a cold reception.

Richard Donner? The man struck lightning numerous times during his career: The Omen. Superman. The Goonies. Lethal Weapon. Scrooged. Like most directors who struck gold in the seventies and eighties, their output as they hit the 90s went right to shit. I'd love to see the man direct another great movie, but I think the chances of that happening are slim-to-none.

---

I'd second Fred Dekker, Richard Kelly, and "Savage" Steve Holland. Regarding the latter, I don't like One Crazy Summer at all and think it's an absolute chore to sit through; however, How I Got Into College is a complete guilty pleasure of mine.

Add to the mix:

Jared Hess. Loved Napoleon Dynamite, but Nacho Libre and Gentlemen Broncos are two of the worst films I've ever hat the pleasure of seeing theatrically. I saw Nacho Libre at CineVegas for its premiere and I wanted to leave to go back to drinking.

Richard Curtis. Most agree that Love Actually is a fantastic romantic comedy, but I understand all of the hate for The Boat That Rocked / Pirate Radio. I happen to enjoy it, mostly due to the actors and the writing; but I get why most consider it to be a sophomore slump (it's too long for its own good). Hopefully Curtis can rebound.

Meglos
05-25-10, 01:05 PM
Shane Black, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. Not sure if he counts since he did write Lethal Weapon, but I was impressed with his directorial debut with KKBB, but I don't see anything on the horizon for him and that was 5 years ago now.

Came in here to post this. And I liked The Last Boy Scout too.