DVD Talk
Think it's time to retire the overuse of "HD DVD" throughout this site [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Think it's time to retire the overuse of "HD DVD" throughout this site

kbjorn
05-23-10, 11:50 AM
Been on this site for a while...why is the term "HD DVD" being used to much throughout this site? I understand it WAS once a valid format..but it's all over this site as a link etc..when it really was such a short lived format (and now pretty much useless format)..its popularity or life was not even as long as 8-tracks or LPs- in 10 years will dvdtalk still have HD DVD as a link...or should its webdesigner get on the ball now?? Not asking to delete or erase the term "HD DVD"..just de-emphasize its use all over the site, as it makes the site seem "behind"? (If that's the right word...)

The Cow
05-23-10, 12:18 PM
Where is it being used as links (other than reviews, which absolutely should stay)?

komsik
05-23-10, 12:44 PM
While we are at it... should probably get the ball rolling and re-name the place "Blu-ray Talk". I am not asking delete the term "DVD" but just de-emphasize its use all over the site. I understand it WAS once a valid format but lets face the facts, blu-ray is superior and what about 10 years from now????

Seriously though, I only see it being used in one spot on the Main Forum page:

HD Talk -
The place to discuss HD DVD, Blu-ray and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

And in that forum one Sticky:

HD DVD and Blu-ray FAQ

And on the Main Home Page 3 times in the Navigation Links:

Blu-Ray/ HD DVD

They all are the same link to the reviews page.

Unless I am missing somewhere else I don't really notice a lot of overuse and it has really only been like what 2 years since since they stopped making them so I wouldn't consider it completely irrelevant info on the site.

dtcarson
05-23-10, 01:34 PM
Plus removing it would be one more kick in the n*ts for those of us who wasted money on the wrong horse. [Yes, I know they still play, yes, I know it upconverts, sorry, I can't help the way I feel. Teach me to be an early adopter - the only two pieces of hardware I adopted early were the HDA1 and the Sega 32X.]

Anyway, yeah, i don't think it's necessarily 'overused' here, the information is still relevant.

Cheato
05-23-10, 11:47 PM
While we are at it... should probably get the ball rolling and re-name the place "Blu-ray Talk". I am not asking delete the term "DVD" but just de-emphasize its use all over the site. I understand it WAS once a valid format but lets face the facts, blu-ray is superior and what about 10 years from now????

I vote for VDTalk. DVD is a trademarked name for a particular format, but VD could just refer to any video disc format, including LD, VCD, DVD, HD-DVD, Blu-ray, and beyond. Or maybe separate the site into an STDTalk and BlurayTalk. STDTalk would be for standard definition only.

pilot
05-24-10, 01:13 AM
I vote for VDTalk. DVD is a trademarked name for a particular format, but VD could just refer to any video disc format, including LD, VCD, DVD, HD-DVD, Blu-ray, and beyond. Or maybe separate the site into an STDTalk and BlurayTalk. STDTalk would be for standard definition only.
What's with the sexually transmitted diseases? VD...STD.. :lol:

Cheato
05-24-10, 01:18 AM
Darn. Nothing gets by you, pilot.

benedict
05-24-10, 03:53 AM
And before anyone asks, a rename of my favourite forum to "eBook Talk" is a definite no-no!

-ptth- :p :rolleyes: ;)

Cheato
05-24-10, 04:02 AM
Who would want to rename footfetishgallery.net's forum to "eBook Talk?"

Numanoid
05-24-10, 10:13 PM
:lol:

Drexl
05-25-10, 05:25 AM
That's nothing. The sticky thread for the DVD-ROM FAQ hasn't been updated in over 9 years.

Gizmo
05-29-10, 11:20 AM
Aside from HD DVD being mentioned in the HD Talk tag line..I don't see HD DVD being used anywhere else aside from a few sticky threads and a random HD DVD bargain.

HD Talk makes sense since we discuss other things that are not Blu-ray (like HD DVD, HD Downloads, HD Movies on TV). I don't care either way if it gets renamed.

Drexl
05-29-10, 11:26 AM
Yeah, I would keep it as HD Talk, but change the tag line to:

"The place to discuss Blu-ray Disc and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV."

Trevor
05-29-10, 11:33 AM
I don't see an overuse of the term at all, and wouldn't change a thing.

^ This guarantees that something will change :(

Mike86
05-30-10, 08:27 PM
I don't really see the point in this I guess. The format might not be putting out new discs, but some still own players/movies. I don't think it hurts to acknowledge that a format once existed. Its not like its used all that much on the site anyways.

NoirFan
05-31-10, 01:22 PM
The 'HD DVD and Blu-ray FAQ' and 'HD DVD / Blu-ray Reviews and Recommendations' threads have both been un-stickied, so now there's really no mention of HD DVD at all.

Th0r S1mpson
06-03-10, 11:58 PM
I haven't been buying movies for the past couple years but I still have my HD-DVD player. Are you guys telling me they don't make them any more?

The Bus
06-15-10, 08:22 AM
No, they're saying it doesn't work anymore.

TGM
06-15-10, 09:06 AM
Hd dvd hd dvd hd dvd hd dvd hd dvd hd dvd hd dvd

BradJ
06-16-10, 04:41 PM
And where's the love for Betamax?!

benedict
06-17-10, 04:22 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/63/Zoopraxiscope_16485d.gif

Not to mention the Zoopraxiscope :D