Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk > DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts
Reload this Page >

steelbook replacement inner plastic?

DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts Talk about DVD Cover Art, DVD Cases and DVD INSERTS

Old 05-21-10, 10:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are these available anywhere?

just got a steelbook in the mail ((dane cook's tourgasm) 3 discs, one on the left, 2 overlapping on the right) and the teeth that hold the one on the left are broken, making me very angry...
looks like the plastic in the inside just pops in and out of the outer shell..

are there replacements for these things?
did a scan on steelbook.com and saw nothing of use.

any ideas?
Old 05-21-10, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: steelbook replacement inner plastic?

i dont think anyone yet sells the steelbooks innards. your best bets might be to salvage the plastic from another steelbook somehow (if it is damaged i guess?) or maybe even email scanavo and kindly request what you need. it you find out where to get replacements though, let us know. and good luck
Old 05-21-10, 11:31 PM

yea if u do find a replacement let us know...but in honestly i dont think they sell replacements other then just buying the whole thing over again..you should return the one u got and get a replacement one....
Old 05-23-10, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Maybe one of those stickon hubs may do the trick.
Old 05-23-10, 05:02 PM

I would try Steelbook.com. I believe that is the manufacturers site. If anyone would know or have an idea of what to do I would think it would be them.
Old 05-24-10, 04:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BUZZKILLER
are these available anywhere?

just got a steelbook in the mail ((dane cook's tourgasm) 3 discs, one on the left, 2 overlapping on the right) and the teeth that hold the one on the left are broken, making me very angry...
looks like the plastic in the inside just pops in and out of the outer shell..

are there replacements for these things?
did a scan on steelbook.com and saw nothing of use.

any ideas?
Here are a few cautions from people who've removed the plastic trays in Steelbooks to try to fix dents in the metal - the trays don't pop in and out as easily as it looks:
forum.blu-ray.com/blu-ray-movies-steelbook-discussion/100792-fixing-steelbook-dents.html

Originally Posted by tiger_qc
I tried it once and broke a lot of plastic pieces by taking the plastic inlay out of the Steel.
I created a few mini-dents on the side where the Steels open to pry the disc holder out.
But I did a good job with the dent ont the front cover.

My advice is stay away of this, but we always try it anyway.
Originally Posted by lolototo
I did it several times for my dented steels, except those with hinge broken , in which cases, removal of the internal plastic may further break the hinge.
Originally Posted by lolototo
The key is to carefully jack-open the small fins at both corners of the steel cover at the spine side, then push out the spine together with the inner plastic disc holder. But never try this to steelbook which hinge were broken already, as this will further damage the hinge and make it useless.

Last edited by Gatherer; 06-01-10 at 09:33 AM. Reason: enable sig
Old 05-24-10, 04:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Aha, I found a detailed guide to swapping Steelbook plastic trays:
www.bluraysteelbooks.com/2010/03/how-to-switch-the-inner-plastic-disc-holder/
More:
www.blueraycenter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3525 (original post of the above guide)
www.blueraycenter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3500 (other suggestions)

Apparently the spine label tends to be attached to the plastic rather than the metal covers, which complicates matters.

Everybody at that forum seems to just have to resort to buying other Steelbooks and swapping out the trays from those; they don't seem to have found a source for replacement trays alone. And 3-disc Steelbooks seem to be less common than 1-disc and 2-disc, so those trays are even harder to get a replacement for by hypothetically finding a relatively-cheap Steelbook to swap with.

Last edited by Gatherer; 06-01-10 at 09:33 AM. Reason: enable sig