Reload this Page >

Warner Bros. Archives Collection - titles available for rent or on demand

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 05-20-10, 11:19 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to watch (but not buy) several titles in the Warner Bros. Archive Coll. I wondered if they were available anywhere to rent (i.e. Netflix) or to watch streaming for a small fee somewhere online. I haven't found them and wondered if the there was a possibility of this in the future.

I'm not willing to buy any of these titles without first being able to view them especially at the price they are typically available. (I missed the 5 for $55 sale).
Old 05-20-10, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Re: Warner Bros. Archives Collection - titles available for rent or on demand

Originally Posted by shore_pk
I would like to watch (but not buy) several titles in the Warner Bros. Archive Coll. I wondered if they were available anywhere to rent (i.e. Netflix) or to watch streaming for a small fee somewhere online. I haven't found them and wondered if the there was a possibility of this in the future.

I'm not willing to buy any of these titles without first being able to view them especially at the price they are typically available. (I missed the 5 for $55 sale).
If you're anywhere near the Portland area, Movie Madness has a large stock of Warner Archives titles for rent.
Old 05-20-10, 02:23 PM
Cool New Member

I'm in Texas
Old 05-20-10, 04:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never used them, but classicflix.com touts the fact that they have the Archive releases for rent by mail.
Old 05-23-10, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Also, for anyone in L.A., Cinefile stocks a bunch of these...
Old 05-24-10, 05:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Classicflix.com seems to be the only source to rent Warner Archives DVDs by mail, as far as I can find. Their blog claims they are the exclusive source to rent these 400+ DVDs ( classicflix.blogspot.com/search/label/Warner%20Archive%20Collection , www.classicflix.com/warner-archive-green-fire-swords-point-adventure-wave-a-684.html ), with the exception of these few local stores.

To add to Movie Madness in Portland and Cinefile in Los Angeles, I did find another local store that rents these (although still no help for Texas - or anywhere besides the west coast for that matter):
Scarecrow Video, located in Seattle, Washington. www.scarecrow.com/about/

Last edited by Gatherer; 06-01-10 at 09:35 AM. Reason: enable sig
Old 05-24-10, 06:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Here's an explanation for their absence from Netflix:
community.netflix.com/forum/topics/warner-archive
by The Real Uncle Bob on June 22, 2009 at 4:43pm

Warner Archive is pretty much an experiment right now, they may be avoiding rentals for the time being in order to force hardcore cinephiles to buy.

Also, they only offer one title, but it looks like they want to offer downloaded rentals, see: Honky Tonk.

ClassicFlix probably buys the dvds just like a regular customer, then puts them out for rental. WB can't stop them, the courts established the right to do this long ago (as "the right of first sale")

Netflix can't exercise first sale rights, as they need to stay on WB's good side in order to license their movies for IW. So if WB doesn't want a film available for rent, you won't see Netflix renting it.
I also found an interesting lengthy article about the pros and cons of Warner's Archive Collection approach, including an interview with a Warner Home Video Senior VP.
blogs.commercialappeal.com/the_bloodshot_eye/2009/12/warner.html

Last edited by Gatherer; 06-01-10 at 09:35 AM. Reason: enable sig