Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

American Idol -- Top 3 -- Contestant/Judges Picks -- 05/18-05/19/10

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Who's Journey on American Idol will end Wednesday?
Casey James (duh)
71.43%
Crystal Bowersox
9.52%
Lee DeWyze
0%
I don't give a crap about any of them.
19.05%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-10, 03:50 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

AI

Wow! Heat was so on top of these American Idol threads. Guess he/she was busy.

Casey James: His Pick: Ok, It's Alright with Me
Kara/Randy's Pick= Daughters

Crystal Bowersox: Her Pick: Come to My Window
Ellen's Pick: Maybe I'm Amazed

Lee DeWyze: His Pick: Simple Man
Simon's Pick: Hallelujah

Bottom IMO, It's going to be a Crystal and Lee final no doubt about it.

Casey was by far the worst of the 3 tonight.

I wasn't as blown away by Lee as the judges, but he has come a long way since the beginning. Crystal was consistent as usual.

Last edited by DJariya; 05-19-10 at 04:32 AM.
Old 05-19-10, 04:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
Re: American Idol -- Top 3 -- Contestant/Judges Picks -- 05/18-05/19/10

it's Maybe I'm Amazed
Old 05-19-10, 04:32 AM
DVD Talk God

Thanks Fixed
Old 05-19-10, 05:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lee did two of my favorite songs(Simple Man & Hallelujah) and although they didnt touch the covers done by Shinedown and Jeff Buckley he did a good job.If he hadn't already he's moved into the leader spot.
Old 05-19-10, 06:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've said it before and I'll say it again: BORING! (Yawn!)

But if I have to call it, It has to be Lee and Crystal. Lee had the advantage with the 8 background singers behind him. But none of those performances knocked your socks off. Those judges (especially Randy) want a big showdown, knock down fight to the finale and IMO it's anything but.
Old 05-19-10, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I was completely bored. Casey's first song was probably my favorite, but it was completely boring and forgettable. It was the only one I wouldn't mind having on in the background mostly ignoring. Pretty high praise I know.

That said, he's gone, unless Crystal just doesn't have a big voting fan base.

They should just have everyone sing Hallelujah every other week from now on, though the judges would probably die of ridiculous overreactions.
Old 05-19-10, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Casey James - lacking in verve and attitude, he phoned in this performance.

Crystal Bowersox - bit off a little more than she could chew with the song, felt like she was a just twinge behind the beat at times.

Lee DeWyze - brought some energy and attitude and easily passed both of the other contestants with his performance.

Casey James - why is he dropping in guitar solos in this performance? It was a more subdued performance, but he was in tune with the vibe of the song, albeit a more gentle song that didn't showcase most of his weaknesses.

Crystal Bowersox - Solid song choice that did showcase her range, and it allowed her to build up to a moment and buoyed her performance.

Lee DeWyze - Wasn't crazy about the semi-circle of chorus singers, but it was another solid performance, and he went 2-for-2 tonight.
Old 05-19-10, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk God

I'm seriously considering breaking up with the show after this season. Simon leaving almost seals the deal. This season has been such a bore and even though I like Crystal and Lee, I just can't envision buying their albums. Maybe a slight edge goes to Crystal depending on the Producers and Song writers she works with.
Old 05-19-10, 03:01 PM

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Casey really had no way to win this week, even if his first performance would have been good it was the first song of the night witch is always forgettable and the Producers Kara's pick was not the kind of song that's gonna knock your socks off no mater what you do with it.

Someone at Vote for the Worst posted this:
Posters on TopIdol think Casey James was forced to change his song choice for last night's top 3 performance show. And it does seem like that's the case. People Magazine and the LA Times release spoilers about the performances during rehearsals. People said, "Casey was accompanied on stage by his amp. His upbeat tune started with vigor, kicking into a solid groove that will have people on their feet and dancing" and the LA Times said the performance "consisted of him jamming away with a single heavy-duty amp without a care in the world." That doesn't sound like that slow OK, Alright With Me song he performed last night. Did the producers force Casey to change his song to make sure he wouldn't make it into the finale? No one thinks Casey's going to be in the top 2, and even DialIdol has him in the red. Does Casey have a prayer of making it through tonight?
Old 05-19-10, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by astrochimp
Lee did two of my favorite songs(Simple Man & Hallelujah) and although they didnt touch the covers done by Shinedown and Jeff Buckley he did a good job.If he hadn't already he's moved into the leader spot.
Two days after being sent packing, Tim Urban sang Hallelujah on Ellen's regular show - and it was so much better than Lee's version. Seriously.
Old 05-19-10, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by marty888
Two days after being sent packing, Tim Urban sang Hallelujah on Ellen's regular show - and it was so much better than Lee's version. Seriously.
Seriously....Not
TIm Urban didnt have the emotional depth for his version. It might have been in tune, but there was no connection. I liked Jason's version, I loved Kris Allen's version, and I most def. loved Lee's version. Breakthrough performance in my opinion...def. felt the connection and that could have been performed anywhere, not just on the Idol stage.
Old 05-19-10, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by magiccmom
Seriously....Not
TIm Urban didnt have the emotional depth for his version. It might have been in tune, but there was no connection. I liked Jason's version, I loved Kris Allen's version, and I most def. loved Lee's version. Breakthrough performance in my opinion...def. felt the connection and that could have been performed anywhere, not just on the Idol stage.
Lee has a tendency to sing out of tune. The background music and the semi-halo choir and the white lights are masking his shortcomings. Strip all those things away and Lee sometimes sings in tune but most of time to me comes off as constipated growling. Lee has one of the highest standard deviation on whatnottosing which tracks Idol performances. People either like or hate his performances. They "tried to make Matt happen" last season ... well they are REALLY trying to make Lee happen so that the finale won't be so predictable.
Old 05-19-10, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by chowderhead
Lee has a tendency to sing out of tune. The background music and the semi-halo choir and the white lights are masking his shortcomings. Strip all those things away and Lee sometimes sings in tune but most of time to me comes off as constipated growling. Lee has one of the highest standard deviation on whatnottosing which tracks Idol performances. People either like or hate his performances. They "tried to make Matt happen" last season ... well they are REALLY trying to make Lee happen so that the finale won't be so predictable.
This may be true...but I would take an out of tune Lee over an in tune Tim Urban any day. Tim Urban, good singer, but not an artist, shows no passion for singing and looks like he could be manufactured into anything. Same with half the contestants on AI...good singers now make me a star. Crystal, Lee and even Casey seem like they would perform anywhere for any reason because it is their passion. Its what they would do. And I think that shows in their artistry and I can feel that in their performances and that is what I connect with.
Old 05-19-10, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by magiccmom
This may be true...but I would take an out of tune Lee over an in tune Tim Urban any day. Tim Urban, good singer, but not an artist, shows no passion for singing and looks like he could be manufactured into anything. Same with half the contestants on AI...good singers now make me a star. Crystal, Lee and even Casey seem like they would perform anywhere for any reason because it is their passion. Its what they would do. And I think that shows in their artistry and I can feel that in their performances and that is what I connect with.
people can be passionate about singing but have vocals that are not pleasing or entertaining to me. Taylor Hicks and Fantasia were probably two of the most passionate/expressive singers on the show and I hated their vocals/acts. It's all a matter of opinion and Lee if he gets a contract will have all the bad notes, off pitch vocals corrected by autotune in studio so there you go.

Tim Urban was definitely not the worse of the bunch. The judges just hated him because by him lasting on the show, it made them look stupid when they cut him in the first place. I personally think Tim will be the most successful of the bunch.
Old 05-19-10, 06:21 PM
Suspended

Cowell would love it if Hallelujah was sung every week. He bought the rights to the song after Jason Castro sang it. He must have made a mint from K.D. Lang performing it at the Olympics.
Old 05-19-10, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sessioner
Cowell would love it if Hallelujah was sung every week. He bought the rights to the song after Jason Castro sang it. He must have made a mint from K.D. Lang performing it at the Olympics.
Really? That makes last night even more sad.
Old 05-19-10, 06:33 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by starman9000
Really? That makes last night even more sad.
Yep. The "I've always loved that song" crap he was spewing last night had dollar signs all over it. Here's a link:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...jah.html?cat=2

Last edited by Sessioner; 05-19-10 at 06:35 PM.
Old 05-19-10, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I want to take a hammer to Lee Dewyze's vocal chords.
Old 05-19-10, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So Perez Hilton discovered whatever that kid's name is. I'd like to meet the guy who discovered Perez Hilton, so I can kick his ass.
Old 05-20-10, 04:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
So Perez Hilton discovered whatever that kid's name is. I'd like to meet the guy who discovered Perez Hilton, so I can kick his ass.
Grant something? Bad case of bed hair and I couldn't understand any of his lyrics.

With the FF button on my remote, I cut that one hour show to about 10 minutes. Ah, so refreshing. Didn't sit through Ryan's arduous interviews, the fan-crazed return homes, or a rehash of the judge's comments from the night before.

Edit: Make that something Garland.

Last edited by big whoppa; 05-20-10 at 08:36 AM.
Old 05-20-10, 05:30 AM
DVD Talk God

I watched this in less than 5 minutes. Very anti climatic.

I like Crystal and Lee, but I have a feeling this is going to be a very boring finale.
Old 05-20-10, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I hope Crystal win, everyone else is garbage. I know Fox wants Lee to win so bad, it is not even funny.
Old 05-20-10, 10:46 AM
Needs to contact a mod about multiple accounts

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Sessioner
Actually, that's not true. Sony owns the rights to the song. Cowell would only make money if one of the artists at his label released it as a single. It would be the same for any other songs.
Old 05-22-10, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Lee will win... Crystal is the same ol same ol 70's left over hippie chick.