DVD Talk
Would Google Sync be most efficient for my iPhone situation? [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Would Google Sync be most efficient for my iPhone situation?

KillerQ
05-18-10, 06:48 PM
Most direct way to sync contacts to 3GS from old Motorola Phone - Google Sync?

Hey all.

Ok, I am getting a new iPhone 3Gs tomorrow (I am now armed with a BB Tour and an iPhone **sigh**). I know that I can sync with MS Outlook, however the contacts I want to sync to my phone are DIFFERENT from the outlook contacts that are one the ITunes computer. They are from my Verizon Motorola Barrage V860.

I don't mind if I have to enter the contacts manually into a computer, just not directly into the phone (too tedious) - so that gave me an Idea.

I think a clean, straightforward way would be for me to type all of my verizon phone contacts into my gmail account (which currently has NO contacts in it) - then I can simply sync my iphone with my google phone contacts via the free google sync app for the iphone?

Now that I think of it, this would also be a great way to keep the contacts in sync in the future for backup purposes, etc....

Seem like a decent method? (I am understanding this correctly, that the google sync app will integrate the gmail contacts into the ACTUAL iphone phonebook? - right?)

Thanks in advance,

Matt!

al_bundy
05-18-10, 07:58 PM
Don't get the iPhone. New model is coming out next month.

KillerQ
05-18-10, 08:23 PM
Al,

Thanks - but the current one is fine for now - I am sure i'll upgrade eventually.

Also, since my questions applies to the new phone as well, what is your input on that?

Thanks

Matt!

al_bundy
05-18-10, 08:40 PM
Wait till June since the 3gs will drop in price to $99 or less. Maybe $49 for the refurbs like they had with the 3g after the 3gs came out.

Export all the contacts you want in the iPhone to a csv file. Import into windows mail or the os x mail program. Set that to sync to your iPhone

The Cow
05-18-10, 08:50 PM
I sync with Google contacts and Google calendar. It works great and it easy to manage. Changes in one place take effect in the other place quickly.

Michael T Hudson
05-18-10, 09:17 PM
Same here as well as push email from Google. It all works great.

KillerQ
05-18-10, 10:33 PM
Great,

Thanks guys, it seems like this will be the best way to cleanly import my contacts.

Thanks again,

Matt!

al_bundy
05-24-10, 07:58 PM
Walmart has the 3gs marked down to $97