Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Survivor-Your Top 5 Players of all time

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-10, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Survivor-Your Top 5 Players of all time

Love the Survivor debates on the boards, your criteria is the same as the juries criteria, vote for whoever you want for whatever reason you want. Let the arguments begin:

1. Sandra-2 times played 2 wins brought it home, Sandra did not play Survivor in the steroid era or the salary cap era etc. Her quote sums it up "My husband goes to Afghanistan to fight for us, I go on Survivor and win a million dollars."
2. Parvati-114 days played, 1 win 1 runner-up, and the 3rd time she played she had the target on her back from day one. In the top five I would rank her 1A.
3. Tom Westman-Great player, physical, social, and strategic. Led a total decimation of an opposing tribe.
4. Yul-Led a great comeback brought home the title, Russell could have learned a thing or two from Yul, would probably be Russell's spot if he won the first time around, because Russell's comeback was more entertaining.
5. Paschal-Putting down the 4th place finisher because he was in line to complete a perfect season, taken out with a purple rock.
Old 05-18-10, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Survivor-Your Top 5 Players of all time

Originally Posted by funstan
Love the Survivor debates on the boards, your criteria is the same as the juries criteria, vote for whoever you want for whatever reason you want. Let the arguments begin:

1. Sandra-2 times played 2 wins brought it home, Sandra did not play Survivor in the steroid era or the salary cap era etc. Her quote sums it up "My husband goes to Afghanistan to fight for us, I go on Survivor and win a million dollars."
2. Parvati-114 days played, 1 win 1 runner-up, and the 3rd time she played she had the target on her back from day one. In the top five I would rank her 1A.
3. Tom Westman-Great player, physical, social, and strategic. Led a total decimation of an opposing tribe.
4. Yul-Led a great comeback brought home the title, Russell could have learned a thing or two from Yul, would probably be Russell's spot if he won the first time around, because Russell's comeback was more entertaining.
5. Paschal-Putting down the 4th place finisher because he was in line to complete a perfect season, taken out with a purple rock.
I like your top 4, but being memory impaired, I'll wait long and read other's opinions before committing. Certainly the top 3 should be the same, although I'd flip-flop Parvati to #1.

Maybe because I'm still super amped from this season where I thought she exhibited all the skills needed to be a super Survivor and just failed once in either distancing her game from Russell's and/or making sure Jerri made it to the end. I know 2 for 2 speaks for itself, but all things considered, I'd want to be on Team Parvati even after she dominated again this year and would have an even bigger target on her back should she (and I'd bet against it) play in some future All-Star season.

So, for now: 1. Parv 2. Sandra 3. Tom 4. TBD 5. TBD
Old 05-18-10, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

1. Parvati Shallow
2. Brian Heidik
3. Russell Hantz
4. Boston Rob
5. Tom Westman
Old 05-18-10, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Adding to Parvati's credentials, I think after watching this season, the reunion show, and some clips of her today, I think she'd be in the top 5 best looking women as well. Even if she was #5, when you add that to her rank as a player, that's pretty impressive.
Old 05-18-10, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts

I don't understand how anyone can put a non-winner in the top five. If you didn't win, then you CLEARLY had flaws in your game.

1) Sandra Diaz-Twine - Howie said it all in his post in the Finale thread

2) Parvati Shallow - If her buddy hadn't gotten rid of both Danielle and Jerri to keep Sandra then she would be number one and a two time winner.

3) Brian Heidik - Don't play like Brian; you'll get caught.

4) Earl Cole - A VASTLY underrated game. Found two strong allies (Yau-Man and completely adorable Michelle, who was eliminated in one of those unlucky tribe split things) and then let things come to him. Found his allies in the other tribe, but not with immunity idols (which he and Yau did have...they didn't share that info though) and bully pressure but with charm. Even cut loose Yau at the end b/c he couldn't beat him. Plus, there's always the "Eduardo switch" that more people facing immunity idoled opponents should do. For instance, if the Rob led HvV team had just voted out Danielle then things would have been a whole lot different.

5) Tom Westman - the prototype for dominating Survivor winners, and as I mentioned in the finale thread the Heroes would have been a whole helluva lot better off if they had gotten rid of Colby instead of him.

Honorable mention - Todd Herzog, Yul Kwan, Richard Hatch
Old 05-18-10, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Setzer
1. Parvati Shallow
2. Brian Heidik
3. Russell Hantz
4. Boston Rob
5. Tom Westman
I like that list. I would also consider Terry Dietz, the Navy fighter pilot, but he lost the who weighs the least final immunity challenge to Danielle and got booted. He only played once as well, so that makes it tough for him to break in.
Old 05-18-10, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by mwbmis
I don't understand how anyone can put a non-winner in the top five. If you didn't win, then you CLEARLY had flaws in your game.

You want to get into it again? Where are the rules that state my list can't have non-winners? I must have missed something. My list contains 2 players who didn't win but should have. It has nothing to do with a flaw in their game but a flaw in the game itself.
Old 05-18-10, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You want to get into it again? Where are the rules that state my list can't have non-winners? I must have missed something. My list contains 2 players who didn't win but should have. It has nothing to do with a flaw in their game but a flaw in the game itself.
You're very sensitive. There's no one I respect more than mwbmis when it comes to Survivor and a few other reality shows. He doesn't go around attacking people. I just think he was giving HIS opinion that a non-winner probably shouldn't be a top 5 all-time player. Not that you couldn't do it or that you should change your mind. Just a disagreement.

I like that you put Boston Rob on your list; doesn't make the list better or worse that I like your pick. It's your opinion and it's just as valid as anyone else's.
Old 05-18-10, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You can have whoever you want in your top five. It's your top five. However, I am perfectly allowed to argue against a top five, especially if someone includes non-winners over some pretty good winners.

As for the "flaw in the game"...I don't see a flaw in the game. Todd Herzog isn't in your top five. The jury was pretty pissed at Todd Herzog, but he found a way to win them over at the final tribal council. He didn't just completely disregard them. How is he not a better player?

Earl Cole did not merge with numbers. He made his own numbers without the use of an immunity idol. Then he won 9-0. How is he not a better player?

Edit to add...

Thanks Dolphinboy...the threads are better when you are around.

Last edited by mwbmis; 05-18-10 at 07:47 PM.
Old 05-18-10, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah this non-winner thing is total bullshit. Take Natalie...she was boring as shit to watch and not tghat great of a player other than riding Russell to the end, which might be a good strategy, but doesn't make for a favorite player in my opinion.
Old 05-18-10, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
You're very sensitive. There's no one I respect more than mwbmis when it comes to Survivor and a few other reality shows. He doesn't go around attacking people. I just think he was giving HIS opinion that a non-winner probably shouldn't be a top 5 all-time player. Not that you couldn't do it or that you should change your mind. Just a disagreement.
He was specifically attacking my list because I put a couple of non-winners in it. I don't care who he puts in his top 5....he's entitled to his opinion but don't look at mine and tell me I can't have non-winners in it.
Old 05-18-10, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

He was specifically attacking my list because I put a couple of non-winners in it. I don't care who he puts in his top 5....he's entitled to his opinion but don't look at mine and tell me I can't have non-winners in it.
This time around you might be right. He knows a lot about the show, so maybe he just wanted you to debate/explain your choices.

Just say you have your own criteria and that your list is just as good as anyone else's.

You don't have to explain your choices if you don't want to. The list is perfectly fine.
Old 05-18-10, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I put Paschal in my list because he was cruising towards victory. Did not even have his name written down in the challenge that he pulled a purple rock. You can counter and say he could have switched his vote and assured his place in the final three. I get that argument and it has validity. I put him on the list because I thought he played great, his elimination exposed a much bigger flaw in the game than Russell's "let America have a vote" supposed flaw.
Old 05-18-10, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

1) Queen Sandra
2) Tom Westman
3) Brian Heidik
4) Chris Daugherty
5) Tina Wesson

Last edited by the big train; 05-18-10 at 08:23 PM.
Old 05-18-10, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

his elimination exposed a much bigger flaw in the game than Russell's "let America have a vote" supposed flaw.
Great point.
Old 05-18-10, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not my top 5 favorite players of all time but the 5 who played the best game.

Sandra Diaz Twine
Chris Daughtry
Tina Wesson
Parvati Shallow -Had she won it would have been a story of legend that she was able to win 2 seperate seasons where before she stepped a foot on the island she was a target right off the bat.
Earl Cole

Honorable mention
JT Thomas~ He probably would be in my top 5 if his game in HvsV could be erased from my memory
Tom ~
Natalie~ A vastly underappreciated player. No one mastered a jury in Survivor history the way she did.
Better then anyone else she turned a jury who hated Russell who was gonna punish her as well and vote for Mick.

For all the credit Todd get's for flipping Jean Robert's vote in China Natalie should be praised for the moon for turning around several jury members and owning her game completely and turning it back on a bunch of jurors who wanted to vote for Mick by default and punish her for teaming up with Russell.
Old 05-18-10, 08:29 PM

1. Russell Hantz
2. Russell Hantz
3. Russell Hantz
4. Russell Hantz
5. Russell Hantz

Old 05-18-10, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by OscarBluth
1. Russell Hantz
2. Russell Hantz
3. Russell Hantz
4. Russell Hantz
5. Russell Hantz

Why "America" should never get a vote.
Old 05-18-10, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

For the record, I didn't quote you in my original post. It wasn't a specific "attack" at anyone; it was more a general statement. As for non-winners, I think Rob Cesternino played a nearly flawless game in Amazon, and I think he was still in a position to win if it had a been a final three. Unfortunately for him, the final challenge was one that favored women; Jenna won and took the crazy guy he'd been purposely dragging along to the finals. His physical game failed him at a key moment, and he didn't have two people willing to take him at the final three.

I put Paschal in my list because he was cruising towards victory. Did not even have his name written down in the challenge that he pulled a purple rock. You can counter and say he could have switched his vote and assured his place in the final three. I get that argument and it has validity. I put him on the list because I thought he played great, his elimination exposed a much bigger flaw in the game than Russell's "let America have a vote" supposed flaw.
Maybe, but I always viewed Kathy and Paschal as a team, and I'm not sure if he could have beaten her. That would have been tight. Paschal pissing off Sean might have been the difference.

Originally Posted by Howie2000
Not my top 5 favorite players of all time but the 5 who played the best game.

Sandra Diaz Twine
Chris Daughtry
Tina Wesson
Parvati Shallow -Had she won it would have been a story of legend that she was able to win 2 seperate seasons where before she stepped a foot on the island she was a target right off the bat.
Earl Cole

Honorable mention
JT Thomas~ He probably would be in my top 5 if his game in HvsV could be erased from my memory
Tom ~
Natalie~ A vastly underappreciated player. No one mastered a jury in Survivor history the way she did.
Better then anyone else she turned a jury who hated Russell who was gonna punish her as well and vote for Mick.

For all the credit Todd get's for flipping Jean Robert's vote in China Natalie should be praised for the moon for turning around several jury members and owning her game completely and turning it back on a bunch of jurors who wanted to vote for Mick by default and punish her for teaming up with Russell.
My problem with Chris is that Twila really put him in that position. He was floundering with nowhere to go. Also, I think he unnecessarily torched Eliza and Julie Berry. They still voted for him, but he made it a lot more difficult decision than it needed to be, especially given how much they hated Twila.

JT...his gamble in HvV made me rethink how much credit I should give Stephen.

Natalie...I think you're overvaluing Natalie's game. That vote was a referendum on the other's game, and Mick was too feckless to win. Natalie was really the only option left.

As for Todd...he had his winning final tribal council arguments all down and ready to go (another reason why I think he is better than some others mentioned). I do think he wasn't really counting on Courtney being as good as she was in the final tribal. If he hadn't been ready with the "correct" answers she could have easily won with that performance.
Old 05-18-10, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My problem with Chris is that Twila really put him in that position. He was floundering with nowhere to go. Also, I think he unnecessarily torched Eliza and Julie Berry. They still voted for him, but he made it a lot more difficult decision than it needed to be, especially given how much they hated Twila.
Chris was a spectacular come from behind rout.

The great thing about Chris was that he won AND got revenge against those who had done him wrong. He had all the women eating out of the palm of his hand even after he started burning them left and right. He burned Julie so bad (rightfully so) that her boyfriend turned the reunion into an hour-long attack on Chris.
Old 05-18-10, 09:16 PM

1) Parvati Shallow
2) Sandra Diaz Twine
3) Richard Hatch
4) Brian Heidik
5) Boston Rob (never won, but married someone who did which was quite smart )

Parv is the best player ever, IMO
Old 05-18-10, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

For the record, I didn't quote you in my original post. It wasn't a specific "attack" at anyone; it was more a general statement. As for non-winners, I think Rob Cesternino played a nearly flawless game in Amazon, and I think he was still in a position to win if it had a been a final three. Unfortunately for him, the final challenge was one that favored women; Jenna won and took the crazy guy he'd been purposely dragging along to the finals. His physical game failed him at a key moment, and he didn't have two people willing to take him at the final three.

Maybe, but I always viewed Kathy and Paschal as a team, and I'm not sure if he could have beaten her. That would have been tight. Paschal pissing off Sean might have been the difference.

JT...his gamble in HvV made me rethink how much credit I should give Stephen.

Natalie...I think you're overvaluing Natalie's game. That vote was a referendum on the other's game, and Mick was too feckless to win. Natalie was really the only option left.

As for Todd...he had his winning final tribal council arguments all down and ready to go (another reason why I think he is better than some others mentioned). I do think he wasn't really counting on Courtney being as good as she was in the final tribal. If he hadn't been ready with the "correct" answers she could have easily won with that performance.
When you die (and I hope that you never do), they should shrink your brain and use it as the one and only, official hidden immunity idol. I don't know how you recall the things you do. Without visuals, I can't remember a damned thing (other than the really big moments and season 1 which I own).

I don't ever remember what Natalie looks like and that was just last fall.
Old 05-18-10, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by the big train
Chris was a spectacular come from behind rout.

The great thing about Chris was that he won AND got revenge against those who had done him wrong. He had all the women eating out of the palm of his hand even after he started burning them left and right. He burned Julie so bad (rightfully so) that her boyfriend turned the reunion into an hour-long attack on Chris.
It was entertaining to watch, BUT Twila and Scout all but had to draw him a picture in the sand to explain what they wanted him to do (recruit Eliza...something they could not do b/c Eliza hated them).

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
When you die (and I hope that you never do), they should shrink your brain and use it as the one and only, official hidden immunity idol. I don't know how you recall the things you do. Without visuals, I can't remember a damned thing (other than the really big moments and season 1 which I own).

I don't ever remember what Natalie looks like and that was just last fall.
I'm getting too old...I think Howie remembers more than I do. My memory is not what it was in my 20s.
Old 05-18-10, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

1) Parvati
2) Richard Hatch
3) Tom Westman
4) Yul
5) Rob C.

189) Sandra
Old 05-18-10, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

I would put Ozzie up there as he is a challenge beast and swims like a fish.
I think he deserved to win just as much as Yul did in his season but I understand why they gave it to Yul.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.