Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Messenger

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Messenger

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-10, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Messenger

Didn't see a thread on this one. Easily one of the best 10 films of last year. My copy will be arriving from Amazon later this week. I was going to try and hold off, but caved like I usually do. It was 18.99 in my gold box.

I did see the set in stores today and it comes in a nice thick digipak. A DVD is included.
Old 05-18-10, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: The Messenger

The review copy I received was for the DVD, but I'll agree it was a fantastic film. It's easy to see why Harrelson was nominated for his performance here. That has to be one of the toughest jobs on the planet.
Old 05-18-10, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
I did see the set in stores today and it comes in a nice thick digipak.
I'm gonna have to disagree here and say the packaging is downright awful, and sticks out like a sore thumb. It's a digipak, housed inside a slipbox, housed inside a slipcover - and to top it off, the discs slide out of sleeves in the digipak, rather than snapping in. What were the people at Oscilloscope thinking? What's wrong with a regular blue keepcase, just like every other damn movie that comes out?
Old 05-18-10, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by doctorthodt
I'm gonna have to disagree here and say the packaging is downright awful, and sticks out like a sore thumb. It's a digipak, housed inside a slipbox, housed inside a slipcover - and to top it off, the discs slide out of sleeves in the digipak, rather than snapping in. What were the people at Oscilloscope thinking? What's wrong with a regular blue keepcase, just like every other damn movie that comes out?
This is how they package everything, but this release appears to be slightly more ornate than usual.
Old 05-18-10, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was shocked when I got notice it shipped from Amazon. I don't recall them letting me know the release date had changed. Considering it's a small movie and a new release, I'm actually pleased I got it for only $19.99.

Can't wait to see it this weekend. I had been looking forward to this and Brothers for a long time and Brothers was terrific.
Old 05-18-10, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
This is how they package everything, but this release appears to be slightly more ornate than usual.
This is their first BD release though is it not? You can get away with weird DVD packaging because there's no real standard there, but when 95%+ of Blu-Rays come in a blue case then it's probably best to just stick with that.
Old 05-18-10, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw pics on blu-ray.com, but couldn't tell if the discs slid out of the sleeve or not. That sucks.
Old 05-18-10, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This is their first BD release though is it not? You can get away with weird DVD packaging because there's no real standard there, but when 95%+ of Blu-Rays come in a blue case then it's probably best to just stick with that.
True. I guess they just really have a hard-on for eco-friendly packaging.