DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

X-FILES [Original R1 Releases]

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-10, 11:28 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
X-FILES [Original R1 Releases]

Hi there,
Did a search on X-Files, and it brings up a h#ll of a lot of hits. But couldnt find a specific reply to my question. I am sure many people here collected the original releases and can answer this quickly.

I was missing 4 seasons of the original releases Seasons 5,6,7,8 - I bought them from someone who described them as the original releases but actually these only have 6 discs. The others I have all had 7 discs.

So quick question, were the Series released with 7 discs [all of them], then rereleased with 6 discs and then repackaged and released again.

A bit old hat but would appreciate an answer from any fans here.
Thanks
M
Old 05-18-10, 07:38 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts
Re: X-FILES [Original R1 Releases]

I have all seasons of the X-Files, 3 of which are Collector's Editions (4, 5, & 7), the remaining seasons are Thinpaks (but not the new new super thin Thinpaks). Of the seasons that I have, only Season 4 (Collector's Edition) has 7 discs, Seasons 5 & 7 Collector's Editions both have 6 discs and all of the Thinpaks have 6 discs.

I don't know how many discs the Collector's Editions of Seasons 1, 2, & 3 had, when I was collecting these I couldn't find the Collector's Editions of the remaining seasons at a decent price.

I have no idea how many discs the new new super thin Thinpaks have...

Hope that helps, -kd5-

Last edited by kd5; 05-18-10 at 07:42 AM.
Old 05-18-10, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, all nine seasons were originally released as Collector's Editions in deluxe packaging (foldout digipaks) and include a bonus disc with additional special features. Those eventually went out of print, but can still be found much cheaper than their original list prices ($30-$40, instead of $80 or more).

Since then, Fox has re-released all nine seasons in slimmer packaging---and in most cases, has omitted the bonus disc, presumably to keep costs even lower. These can be found cheaper still ($25-$30 each), and there's still commentaries and a few other goodies on the episode discs. It all boils down to what's more important: saving money and shelf space, or having all the goodies. I originally bought them all during their original release, but gave them to a friend after receiving the massive Ultimate Collection for review, which includes all nine seasons, the bonus discs, the first movie and another bonus disc. It's also a space saver (and can be found for under $200), but the packaging isn't the best design and can get damaged easily.

Anyway, I wasn't even aware of the super slim sets, but those certainly sound interesting.
Old 05-18-10, 11:07 AM
Cool New Member

Thanks for the reply - I will have to decide whether to try and hunt down the 7 disc versions or just stick with what I have. It would certainly look nice to have all 7 disc versions. Thanks for the link to your review - The Box set actually looks great the photos on amazon didnt do it justice - despite the poor design as pointed out in your review. I perhaps should have gone for that last year when Amazon had a good deal on it. But as I already had 5 seasons it didnt make much sense.

I love this TV series - and it has pride of place in my collection. Thanks for the replies.
Old 05-18-10, 02:40 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

From what I've been able to gather, the Collector's Editions of Seasons 1, 2, 3, & 4 consisted of 7 discs, Collector's Editions of Seasons 5, 6, 7, & 8 consisted of 6 discs, and it appears that the Collector's Edition of Season 9 consisted of 7 discs (didn't know that).

If you're still interested in finding the Collector's Editions , there are a few available on (and I don't know if this is a dirty word here or not, I'm still learning the ropes...) Ebay. Just watch out for their condition and the seller's feedback. -kd5-
Old 05-18-10, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No problem. I still remember buying Season 1 on release day.
I was like, "Holy shit! Seven discs!"
Old 05-18-10, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy Miller III
No problem. I still remember buying Season 1 on release day.
I was like, "Holy shit! Seven discs!"
That's the only one I got on release day. The rest I got when they were super cheap for the slim versions.
Old 05-19-10, 03:14 AM
Cool New Member

kD5 - I picked up the final 4 sets I needed on eBay from one seller. I got them for a pretty good price and wasnt too disappointed [less than $80 shipped]. But the cases are so easily damaged - so in the mail a couple of disc-holders pins broke off, put I guess that can happen if they are new.
I also think you are correct - 1-4 [7 discs], 5-8 [6 discs] & 9 [7 discs] - so my collection is complete for the time being. I thought I might pick up the mytholgy series if I see them at a throwaway price.

Now I just have to get around to watching the whole series again.
Old 05-19-10, 07:18 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

My wife & I are watching it now, every other night, with the odd nights designated movie nights, currently on Season 4... -kd5-