Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Sex and the City DVD Re-releases

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-10, 12:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sex and the City DVD Re-releases

Posted this on IMDb, but haven't gotten a response, and I don't know why I didn't post it here instead.

I recently picked up all 7 Sex and the City DVDs at Costco for $12.99 each. They were the re-releases that supposedly came out earlier this year in the newer packaging (though some websites say they are already out-of-print and some say that their releases have been pushed back to September 28th).

Anyway, I did a comparison of the bonus features on the original DVDs to the newer ones (which have all-new menus, disc design, packaging, and some seasons even a reduced disc count). The reissue of season 1 drops a promo called "Research" that was included on the first season's original release, while the reissue of season 2 adds a documentary called "Meet the Cast of Sex and the City". The reissue for season 3 and 4 are the same, while the reissue for season 5 drops an interactive game that was included on disc 2 of its original release. Season 6 part 1 was slimmed down to 2 discs, but the bonus features remain the same.

My main concern is Season 6, Part 2. I no longer own the original release of Season 6, Part 2, so I was wondering if any bonus features had been dropped from its original 3-Disc release? The new release has been shrunken down to 2 discs and the bonus features are as follows: Series (Season) Index, Audio Commentaries, Two HBO Farewell Tributes, USCAF Writers' Panel Discussion, 3 Alternate Endings, and Deleted Scenes for Seasons 2 - 6, Part 2. Was there anything else on the original Season 6, Part 2 DVD release that wasn't included on the re-release (whose contents I listed above)? Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old 05-17-10, 12:35 PM

Re: Sex and the City DVD Re-releases

Could you possibly take pictures of the re-releases? I've wanted to get these sets for a while but I'd like to know what the new packaging looks like.
Old 05-17-10, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by vmars
Could you possibly take pictures of the re-releases? I've wanted to get these sets for a while but I'd like to know what the new packaging looks like.
I can't take pictures, but I can describe them. They certainly save room because they are packaged in regular DVD keepcases (the clear ones). The slipcovers have the actual cover art (Carrie on the front in front of the city, which is made up of text, and a cast picture and summary / specs on the back). When you take the slipcover off, the cover / insert is just a wraparound of the city made up of the text (no Carrie on front, no summary, specs, or cast picture on the back), and when you open the case there are 3 disc spindles. Disc one is on the left and discs two and three are on the right (they overlap). Since the keepcase is clear, there's a huge cast picture in each set from an episode from the season the picture is used for. In the white space above and below the picture there are episode summaries and a quote from each episode.

The discs are all new. The disc art is the city made up of the text, and there are completely redesigned menus. When you go to episode selection you can choose to play all. Subtitles have been added to every set (I know some of the original releases had subtitles). Seasons 1 - 5 have the same number of discs they originally had (2, 3, 3, 3, and 2 respectively), but season 6 was changed. Season 6, Part 1 was condensed into two discs (episodes 1 - 6 on one, episodes 7 - 12 on another). Season 6, Part 2 was also condensed down to two discs, with episodes 1 - 6 on disc one, and disc two containing the finale (episodes 7 and 8). The bonus features from disc 3 on the original release were evenly distributed over the two discs rather than having their own disc.

That's why I was wondering if all the bonus features from the original release of Season 6, Part 2 were included on the new release - because it has been condensed onto two discs and because a bonus feature was dropped from season 1 and season 5.
Old 05-17-10, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think I saw these at Sam's Club yesterday, as a way to tie into the release of the sequel to this film next Friday. On those packages, they have coupons to see the film inside each set.
Old 05-17-10, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'd actually like to pick these up if I could find them for a cheap enough price, but they're too expensive (considering I got all the previous seasons for under $10). These new releases look really nice though and the old ones are sort of a pain, so if I could find them for cheap enough I'd probably pick them up, but that seems doubtful as several are already OOP on Amazon.
Old 05-17-10, 07:31 PM

I love them! They all look so classy, the overall presentation (layout, design, episode guides, discs) is consistent, and it looks very nice. I wish that the original box cover images had at least been duplicated on the actual keepcase's insert, since they were nice and colorful and featured all the girls, but life goes on I suppose. I'm debating whether or not I want to get rid of my copies of the original box set releases. I guess now would be better than ever to trade them in, what with the new movie coming out and all.

Does anyone know what's officially going on with these new releases? They were supposed to be released on 4/27/10, but the only time I've seen them in stores was last week at Costco for $12.99 each, and I quickly snagged them up because I had seen on Amazon that most of them are supposedly out of print already. But I checked Best Buy's website and they are up for Pre-Order, with a release date of 9/28/10. At Costco, these do come with up to $7.50 off your movie ticket for the new movie, but everywhere else I've seen the original releases with the up to $7.50 off offer. But I don't quite know what's up with these specific new releases!
Old 05-17-10, 07:32 PM

Those boxes are real nice looking. I still can't understand why they need to split the last season into two releases though. It's only two episodes longer than seasons 2, 3, and 4. If I see these somewhere I'll probably end up picking up a season or two so I can get a ticket for the new movie in them as well.
Old 05-17-10, 08:05 PM

saw these at costco the other day. they looked pretty cool, but what i didn't like is that they used to same quotes/text for the background. i wish they would've had quotes from that particular season. also, considering they re-did them all, i wished the text on the spines would've formed their own little skyline or something, but they were just all the same. so thankfully that made me feel the need to NOT repurchase.

since they actually did go about changing the menus and stuff... are the episodes themselves remastered in any way?
Old 05-17-10, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by rjh_54
Does anyone know what's officially going on with these new releases? They were supposed to be released on 4/27/10, but the only time I've seen them in stores was last week at Costco for $12.99 each, and I quickly snagged them up because I had seen on Amazon that most of them are supposedly out of print already.
You've got PM.
Old 05-17-10, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Those are exactly it.
Old 05-18-10, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

Originally Posted by vmars
Those boxes are real nice looking. I still can't understand why they need to split the last season into two releases though. It's only two episodes longer than seasons 2, 3, and 4. If I see these somewhere I'll probably end up picking up a season or two so I can get a ticket for the new movie in them as well.
It made sense when they were broadcasting it in two parts, but makes no sense now.
Old 05-18-10, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

David,

It's all a gimmick to get you to buy these sets to go and see the new film or re-introduce those who have never seen the show to give it a try by watching them. Any way for the studio to get out extra pub and eyeballs to see the sequel opening next weekend.
Old 05-19-10, 10:53 PM
Cool New Member

Do the new sets have a play all feature? Because the original dvds are such a PITA to navigate.
Old 05-20-10, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by fiction
Do the new sets have a play all feature? Because the original dvds are such a PITA to navigate.
Yes. You have to hit "Episodes" and there's an episode list but at the bottom of the screen there's a "Play All" option.