Search this Thread

Old 05-17-10, 05:18 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Castle -- Season Finale -- "A Deadly Game" -- 05/17/10

2x24 A Deadly Game - Promo Pictures

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Nothing is as it seems when Castle and Beckett investigate what appears to be the assassination of an intelligence operative. Meanwhile, Beckett's romance with Demming threatens her relationship with Castle, forcing them to confront their feelings for each other.

"A Deadly Game" was written by Andrew Marlowe and directed by Rob Bowman.

Special Guest Stars:

Michael Trucco as Tom Demming, Monet Mazur as Gina, Stephen J. Cannell as himself, Michael Connelly as himself, James Patterson as himself, Mitch Pileggi as Hans Bremel.

If you don't remember Monet Mazur's character, she last appeared on the Pilot episode as Castle's book editor and ex-wife (Not the mother of Alexis though)
Old 05-17-10, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts
Re: Castle -- Season Finale -- "A Deadly Game" -- 05/17/10

Glad to see the author guest appearances back. Hopefully we get another poker game but this time with Alexis as well.

I'm surprised they never got any of these guys to co-write an episode of this show.
Old 05-18-10, 03:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I really liked this episode. I liked Beckett's realization of her feelings for Castle. Was funny seeing the entire team watching the two of them as they went for the little talk at the party and then watching Castle walk off with his ex.
Old 05-18-10, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They needed to send the guy from BSG back to Planet Poochie, not a great character.
Old 05-18-10, 08:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Axeramm
I really liked this episode. I liked Beckett's realization of her feelings for Castle. Was funny seeing the entire team watching the two of them as they went for the little talk at the party and then watching Castle walk off with his ex.
Agreed. I also liked how the one cop (Esposito?) was very frank in discussing Castle with Becket.
Old 05-18-10, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Where does the show go from here?

It's now clear to all characters on the show that Castle doesn't need to do any more "research" and he was only there for Beckett. Beckett dumps boyfriend for Castle only to see Castle hook up with ex-wife. Castle states this was his last case.

So where does the show go from here?

1. Castle & Beckett finally hook up and become a fearsome crime solving duo.
2. Castle becomes an official "consultant" to Beckett's team a la Mentalist.
3. Castle is officially hired as an unarmed detective to help Beckett's team (who seem to have lost their mojo ever since Castle left) and they continue to solve cases as before all the while suppressing their feelings for one another.
4. Writers come up with some other convoluted reason to force Castle back onto Beckett's team and they continue to solve cases as before all the while suppressing their feelings for one another.

Hmmm...I wonder which way they'll go.
Old 05-18-10, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Flave
Castle states this was his last case.

Hmmm...I wonder which way they'll go.
He said last case of the summer. When his vacation is done, he'll just come back.
Old 05-18-10, 11:31 AM

I was expecting Castle to be rejected, or some lingering pause where we don't find out until September. It will be interesting to see how the writers' resolve this - in real life, I would expect most people in Beckett's position would say "your loss" and move on.
Old 05-18-10, 12:55 PM

Ending sucked.
Old 05-18-10, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by outlander78
I would expect most people in Beckett's position would say "your loss" and move on.
Castle didn't know Beckett dumped her boyfriend. From his perspective he already lost and was trying to accept that and move on.
Old 05-18-10, 06:58 PM

ugh. dish network dropped my local channels so i didn't get to see the last half of this
Old 05-18-10, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

Liked this ep., though like many other prime time series before it I found it interesting that they came up with an excuse to have a summer break. It seems like everything in the land of television series only happens during a calendar school year.
Old 05-18-10, 08:26 PM

Not for Psych!
Old 05-18-10, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Good finale until the end. A huge let down.
Old 05-18-10, 11:24 PM

I thought I would be bothered by whatever the writers' had planned, but I actually liked this episode a lot more than the last few, especially how all the main cast members got their say.

I don't know why we are stuck with this convention of cliffhangers - great shows don't need a hook to get you back in September. However, if we have to have the damn things, this was better than most, and at least we know we'll get the third season.
Old 05-19-10, 12:05 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah i saw the ending coming a mile away. Once they mentioned his ex-wife earlier in the episode, i knew there was no way he would end up with Beckett. Very cliche ending. Disappointed
Old 05-19-10, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by Qrusher14242
yeah i saw the ending coming a mile away. Once they mentioned his ex-wife earlier in the episode, i knew there was no way he would end up with Beckett. Very cliche ending. Disappointed
The writers of Friends disagree. Oh, wait ...
Old 05-19-10, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by outlander78
I don't know why we are stuck with this convention of cliffhangers - great shows don't need a hook to get you back in September. However, if we have to have the damn things, this was better than most, and at least we know we'll get the third season.
I agree. I was MUCH happier to have the "cliffhanger" in the middle of the two-parter with the serial killer and get it resolved the next week than to wait a few months to make sure I tune back in the next season.

Originally Posted by resinrats
He said last case of the summer. When his vacation is done, he'll just come back.
In fact, I believe the line was something like "so we'll see you in the fall?" and Castle was like "yep." I guess maybe Flave missed the last few minutes of the episode too.
Old 05-19-10, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by rfduncan
In fact, I believe the line was something like "so we'll see you in the fall?" and Castle was like "yep." I guess maybe Flave missed the last few minutes of the episode too.
I think you guys misunderstood. Beckett's "see you in the fall" comment meant she'll see him socially after he gets back -- after all, they are still friends. Castle made it very clear he was no longer going to work with the unit.

I think the writers have written themselves into a bit of a corner -- probably because they didn't know whether they were coming back next year.
Old 05-19-10, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think the writers have written themselves into a bit of a corner -- probably because they didn't know whether they were coming back next year.
I'd say the exact OPPOSITE. They left everything very open ended. He could return with little explanation (his book will be published and claims he needs more material) or just be done if the series were ending. If anything, the ending they gave us was the smartest way to go if they were rapping before knowing if they'd been renewed.
Old 05-19-10, 01:16 PM

I think you guys misunderstood. Beckett's "see you in the fall" comment meant she'll see him socially after he gets back -- after all, they are still friends. Castle made it very clear he was no longer going to work with the unit.

They have lots of room, as Castle only left because of Beckett's boyfriend - if not for that guy, he'd have been "researching" for years more. Here are some options:

Beckett needs help, Castle won't refuse.

Castle needs help, Beckett won't refuse.

Some variation of the above with the daughter or mother.

Castle misses Beckett, or remembers why his ex-wife is his ex-wife, and either comes back for her.

Castle is hooked on real detective work.

I'm just grateful the cliffhanger was a non-event - they could have ended with her looking at the empty chair, or some other, cheaper point. I just wish they didn't spend three episodes building up to this - what a waste!
Old 05-19-10, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This was my favorite season finale ... so far.

The two realization scenes were very well acted and this show doesn't stretch the actors talents very often. First is when Castle, learns Beckett and The Robbery Detective are dating. Second is when Beckett realizes she is in love with Castle. Her tiny smile was one of the few touching moments this show has provided. It's an episodic dramedy, so it get's a pass for not being mushy more often.

Like outlander78, I am also glad this was a non-event.

I really expected one of them to be unconscious in a hospital bed and the other confessing their love, thinking it would not be heard ... or so they thought. Yech!
Old 05-23-10, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

I thought this was a great episode as well. I thought it was much better than the last handful.

I don't know if anybody else has noticed this, but I feel like every episode that features the female coroner rather than the male one is always better. Either may hardly be in the episode, but as soon as the male turns up I let out a slight sigh.

Anyway, I had not huge problem with how they left things during the summer. It wasn't a huge cliffhanger, but left things up in the air. Plus it gives you something to look forward to over the summer once September rolls around. I thought both Katic and Fillion did a great job. All of the actors did very well during that scene at Kate's desk as well. I'll echo silentbob by saying that I enjoyed Esposito's comment to Beckett as well.

I think a great opportunity for next year will be:

1) Revolve a lot of the set locations around the Niki Heat film set.
2) Have a murder on the set of the film.

It would be cliche, but funny if Castle ends up going after the actress that looks like Kate.
Old 05-23-10, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Superman07
I thought this was a great episode as well. I thought it was much better than the last handful.

I don't know if anybody else has noticed this, but I feel like every episode that features the female coroner rather than the male one is always better. Either may hardly be in the episode, but as soon as the male turns up I let out a slight sigh.
I feel the same way, and also when Dr. Warner appears on Law & Order SVU. I love Tamela in this role because prior to Castle, she was always playing a freaky, around-the-way girl on tv shows and movies.

Last edited by mraw; 05-23-10 at 05:10 PM.
Old 05-23-10, 05:40 PM

Great finale. I love the show! Was I the only one who felt bad for Demming?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.