Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Why aren't there more blu-ray ALBUMS??

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 05-16-10, 10:59 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes, I know this is technically a 'music' thread topic, but because it's bluray technology and the music community really never embraced or for that matter just basically let the industry kill off SACD and DVD-Audio - you'd think bluray audio would be more prevailent and the next logical progression for more albums to be released in 5.1 to the masses. As far as I know, I can only think of only one release: the Pixies catalog deluxe box Minotaur (Deluxe Edition) with all the albums released with lossless 5.1 sound at a very pricey 230 bucks on Amazon. Rhino has released dual CD/DVD releases of two Bjork albums and the Talking Heads albums with 5.1 remixes and videos, I wish more albums would go the bluray audio route.
Old 05-16-10, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Why aren't there more blu-ray ALBUMS??

It just hasn't caught on. Too many people are more than happy with MP3/AAC.

Part of the reason is because music has become, for many, a background activity. It's something to listen to passively while out and about, while working, or while surfing the internet. Sound quality takes a back seat to convenience.

Also with BD, there's still the matter of getting the audio-only profile established. Maybe when that happens we'll see more. I just don't see it becoming that popular.
Old 05-17-10, 04:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Drexl
It just hasn't caught on. Too many people are more than happy with MP3/AAC.

Part of the reason is because music has become, for many, a background activity. It's something to listen to passively while out and about, while working, or while surfing the internet. Sound quality takes a back seat to convenience.

Also with BD, there's still the matter of getting the audio-only profile established. Maybe when that happens we'll see more. I just don't see it becoming that popular.
Has become? Music has almost always been a background activity. Well, recorded music anyway. From the jukeboxes in malt shops to listening to AM radio, sound quality has never been of major importance to the vast majority of listeners.

Just about every innovation in consumer music technology has been about improving convenience more than quality. Cassettes were portable, CDs didn't need to be flipped and became portable, MP3s just continue that trend.
Old 05-17-10, 09:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FYI, Nine Inch Nails Ghosts 1 - 4 is on blu-ray if you bought the deluxe edition. I'm not sure if we'll ever see a joe six-pack accept anything other than cds or downloads for music. The best audiophiles can hope for is that lossless audio formats supplant MP3s. The convenience is just too great. Myself, I can't see paying for downloaded albums, I'll buy physical media until it no longer exists.
Old 05-17-10, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Don't forget the massive Neil Young Archives box set which came out last year....super pricey, and didn't sell very well.

As someone who still enjoys SACD and DVD-Audio, I understand your frustration. The point made above regarding a "passive activity" is valid, in that most people don't sit still and just listen to music any more. For a 5.1 mix, it's essential to sit in the "sweet spot" to optimize the listening experience.

Also, it is necessary to remix and remaster the music into 5.1 or 2.0 high resolution. This is an expensive and time-consuming process with carries a dubious return on investment. Of course, if it's done properly by someone who knows and truly loves the music, the final product can be sublime. (See Talking Heads DVD-A remasters by Jerry Harrison )
Old 05-17-10, 12:16 PM

^ I guess I'm kind of spoiled I have 5.1 in the car.... guess, I'm expecting everything ( ) to be mixed in 5.1 I'll listen to stuff on varying medium, vinyl, CD, DVD-Audio and SACD (once I buy my OPPO player - my Sony 400 CD/DVD/SACD player I just sold - it was too big for my home theatre system) through my Ipod, whatever, Obviousily it was the 5.1 mixes that impressed me the most, since it literally wrapped me into the 'sound' of music - it's just sad and unfortunate that 6-track sound always seems like a floundering (sp?) option to release music in - I'd love to hear what a mixer could do with a true discrete 7.1 soundmix for say like, uh.. Radiohead's OK Computer.
Old 05-17-10, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My iPod is fine. What I would really like to see are more concert movies on blu-ray.
Old 05-17-10, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
My iPod is fine.
...and there you have it in a nutshell.

Many of today's music consumers have become satisfied with lossy 128kb files, and have thus eschewed pricey discs capable of delivering 192 kHz/24-bit high-resolution, multi-channel audio. It is sad, but the audiophile demographic is shrinking, and there's just not enough demand to release more titles in hi-rez.

Pity they'll never experience DSOTM in lossless 5.1 surround.
Old 05-17-10, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
It is sad, but the audiophile demographic is shrinking, and there's just not enough demand to release more titles in hi-rez.
Plus, even among audiophiles, there is a contingent that loves vinyl and will always believe that any digital format is inferior.
Old 05-17-10, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
Don't forget the massive Neil Young Archives box set which came out last year....super pricey, and didn't sell very well.
The first run sold out very quickly - did subsequent sales flag? I don't have any hard date in front of me. There was a Video Business article on the first run linked in this thread, but they've gone out of business.
Old 05-17-10, 03:15 PM

Next month, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers' 'Mojo' will be released on Blu-ray and contains all 15 tracks from 'Mojo' in high-resolution 48K 24 bit PCM stereo and DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 surround sound. It is an audio-only disc, with basic navigation and song information displayed on screen..

The Neil Young box is pretty sweet with 24/192 Stereo. I wonder if Vol 2 will ever be released and what formats might be available for it (and if it will include anything from 'Time Fades Away.') I had to get one of the disks replaced recently when it suddenly stopped playing in my Panasonic BD60.
Old 05-17-10, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If SACD or DVD-Audio never caught on, what makes you think Blu-ray audio releases (or any other physical format really) would actually fare any better?
BD is still trying to completely catch on as a video format at this point....any audio releases at this point, and for the foreseeable future will remain as an audiophile specialty (much like vinyl is at this point)....
Old 05-17-10, 08:44 PM

^ I'm an optimist
Old 05-17-10, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 814 Likes on 569 Posts

I never understood how people thought that SACD, DVD-A and Blu-Ray Audio CD would catch on and get a lot of mainstream support. I keep hearing "if they marketed it better and gave demonstrations, people would buy it".

We already have CD and it's been the consumer standard for audio for quite some time, and it already sounds better than compressed MP3. Yet most people are abandoning it for the lower sound quality of MP3 (wether they realize it or not) and a huge boost in convenience. If they're willing to sacrifice quality they may or may not notice, why would they adopt a new format that offers nothing new other than better sound quality? Obviously, sound quality didn't matter in the first place.

I like MP3 for portable music and I rip it at 320 bitrate to get the best balance of sound quality and size. It's great for commutes to/from work and long walks, etc. However for home audio, I listen to CD and SACD - I avoid MP3. I know and accept that I'm in the minorty and that high quality audio is a niche and always will be - it's sad, but it's true.
Old 05-17-10, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by WMAangel
If SACD or DVD-Audio never caught on, what makes you think Blu-ray audio releases (or any other physical format really) would actually fare any better?
Well, since SACD and DVD-Audio failed early in their life-cycles, (partially as a result of a format war), there are relatively few pieces of hardware in the wild capable of playback.

Format War>low acceptance>record companies abandon support>formats fail.

The thought is, if Blu-ray catches on, and achieves respectable market penetration, (at least from a hardware standpoint), it might make sense for the record companies to release high resolution audio titles on Blu-ray as the unified format capable of hi-rez encodes.

Nobody thinks Blu-ray Audio is going to supplant CDs and MP3 files, but there may be a niche market of audio enthusiasts willing to pay a premium price for a premium product.
Old 05-17-10, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The format war hurt to some extent, but I have a feeling that if a product is meant to succeed, one format will eventually win out. A format war just delays that and causes some initial confusion. I guess you could say that SACD "won," because there are still some being made while DVD-A is all but dead. But, the "victory" wasn't really a success.

Well, at least BD audio can be played on a computer, unlike SACD.
Old 05-18-10, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The closest thing I'll have is Elvis on Tour when that gets released. And yes I know it's not an album, I'm being sarcastic.

When I worked in a stereo shop in the early 80's (1980's not 1880's ) there was such a thing called imaging. Sitting in the sweet spot between the speakers you could actually "see" where the musicians were. Good speakers would image. I think the audiophile has become an endangered species losing ground to the videophile or just plain gadget junkie.

Also cost is an issue. My uncle is a voracious music collector, however with 1000's of CD's and vinyl albums, the cost didn't justify the reward on these new formats.
Old 05-18-10, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
My iPod is fine.
Exactly. I've never been a major audiophile (as one laughs at me now for stating my iPod is sufficient). I prefer to do my music listening in the car, at work or in the gym. When I'm home, I watch movies. If I happen to be in a room doing something where I can't watch but I can listen, I select an audio commentary to listen to.