Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Letters to Juliet

Old 05-15-10, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Letters to Juliet

Amanda Seyfriend has been on a roll of late in the movies, but I thought she really connected with her character of Sophie in "Letters to Juliet" much moreso than some of her other recent films. Sophie is a fact-checker for "The New Yorker" magazine, with aspirations of becoming a writer. She and her fiance Victor take a pre-wedding honeymoon to the town of Verona, Italy, and they end up on separate itenaries as Sophie can't really take any more of Victor's lining up of food/wine suppliers for his burgeoning restaurant business.

So Sophie's walk through the city find her ending up near the spot where lonely hearts write their letters to Juliet, stick them on a wall, and later the letters are collected and answered by the "secretaries of Juliet" who give the lovelorn advice over their romantic situations. Sophie discovers a 50-year old letter, which discuss regrets of leaving the love of her young life, a lad by the name of Lorenzo. Sophie writes the reply back to return address from the letter,, and lo and behold the grandson of the woman who wrote the letter shows up rather quickly with grandma in tow (Charlie and Claire), and Sophie ingratiates herself in their quest for Lorenzo.

I enjoyed the cast chemistry between Amanda Seyfried, Christopher Egan (Charlie), and Vanessa Redgrave (Claire), and the film is obviously more about the journey than the final destination, and the tone and script of light-enough to make it romantic jaunt through Italy (very nice footage of the the area, by the way), while also sprinkling just enough dramatic revelations to complicate the nature of love and attraction between 2 people, no matter how old they are in their lives.

I give it 2.75 stars, or a grade of B-.
Old 05-19-10, 01:27 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: Letters to Juliet

personally I thought this was horrible, it was soooo predictable (the trailer alone ruined the film) dumb trite dialogue and everything on auto pilot, Seyfried and Redgrave were pleasant to look at and watch interact, but the script was beyond stupid.
Old 05-19-10, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Letters to Juliet

It's amazing how these movies still get made, and still make money. Really predicable movies over and over. The same fornmula. No twists. I'd like to see a really smart, ruthless satire of romantic comedies.