TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Saban buys back Power Rangers

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-10, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Saban buys back Power Rangers

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...dc9b7af3b?pn=1

Haim Saban is buying back the Power Rangers from Walt Disney with the hope to take the entertainment franchise that he launched to TV and toy stardom in the 1990s to new fans.

His Saban Capital Group is also taking it to Viacom's Nickelodeon as the new U.S. home for the series, which is heading into its 18th season with a new cast and the goal to rejuvenate the fading franchise.

Library episodes of the show will start airing on Nicktoons later this year, with 20 new episodes set for Nickelodeon and Nicktoons in 2011 under the direction of original executive producer Jonathan Tzachor.

Saban is buying the franchise in a renewal of his collaboration with Toei Co., the creator of the original Japanese Power Rangers TV show and an underlying rights-holder.

Financial terms weren't disclosed, but the price tag is believed to be less than $100 million. Nickelodeon in a deal similarly focused on reinvigorating an older franchise last year bought the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles for $60 million.

The Power Rangers becomes the first property for Saban Brands, a new arm of SCG with a $500 million budget that will acquire entertainment, lifestyle, fashion and other brands.

Disney has been featuring shows starring the Power Rangers on Saturday mornings on ABC and on Disney XD channels in foreign markets, but it's doubtful the family-friendly conglomerate will miss it much given that it deemed the property too violent for its target audience of young boys.

"It didn't fit with the Disney brand. Moms didn't like it," said Disney spokemsan Jonathan Friedland.

The Power Rangers are expected to disappear from Disney and ABC lineups "immediately," Friedland said.

Disney's recent acquisition of Marvel also gives Disney ample access to new action content for the boys' demo.

"Power Rangers is one of the world's leading children's entertainment properties, and we are delighted to see its return," said SCG chairman and CEO Haim Saban. "I am confident that the talented management team at Saban Brands will expand our licensing partnerships and capitalize on the significant growth potential of this powerful brand."

Old 05-13-10, 08:44 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Saban buys back Power Rangers

Originally Posted by Jedi Master 33
The only thing that concerns me here is the fact that Disney thinks the Power Rangers are too violent. So what are they going to do with Marvel Comics? Neuter them? Is Wolverine going to have rubber claws now?
Old 05-13-10, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Wolverine will just cut up robots.
Old 05-13-10, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Wow. Didn't Saban sell it originally for a whole lot more than $100MM?
Old 05-14-10, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

as I was purusing IMDB the other I came across Amy Jo Johnson and realized she's 40 years old. Holy Crap I'm getting old. I was still thinking of her as a kid.
Old 05-14-10, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JimRochester
as I was purusing IMDB the other I came across Amy Jo Johnson and realized she's 40 years old. Holy Crap I'm getting old. I was still thinking of her as a kid.
Wow! Me too!
Old 05-14-10, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Holy crap. Add me to that group as well.
Old 05-14-10, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts

Well, she was one of the oldest actors (at 23) when that show first aired.
Old 05-14-10, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by JimRochester
And poor Trini (the Yellow Ranger) was killed in a car wreck by a drunk driver a few years back. Makes me sad every time I see reruns of the original series.
Old 05-14-10, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Seems like a no-brainer business deal. I found it hard to believe when Disney axed the franchise as it's always been a pure moneymaker in terms of merchandising.
Old 05-14-10, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 601 Likes on 434 Posts

So this means the original series will come to dvd?
Old 05-15-10, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
Sweet. First order of business: Bring Goldar back.
Wrong. That's third. The first two are bring back Bulk and Skull and bring back scary Zedd.
Old 05-15-10, 07:42 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mugwump
Seems like a no-brainer business deal. I found it hard to believe when Disney axed the franchise as it's always been a pure moneymaker in terms of merchandising.
Old 05-17-10, 03:16 AM

At least now we can all forget about that crappy 'remastered/remixed' version of MMPR that Disney showed on ABC Kids this year. Let's all pretend it never happened, nor shall we ever acknowledge its existence. Selling the Power Rangers franchise back to Saban is a positive thing in my mind. It is just another reason for Disney to concentrate on and continue to cater to pre-teen girls.

In addition to creating a new PR series in 2011 for Nickelodeon and re-airing classic PR episodes beginning this fall on NickToons, I hope Saban will consider releasing DVDs in some shape or form of the original series (especially MMPR thru PR:Lost Galaxy).
Old 05-17-10, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by redskull
And poor Trini (the Yellow Ranger) was killed in a car wreck by a drunk driver a few years back. Makes me sad every time I see reruns of the original series.
We just spent several days at the Disneyworld parks and the Power Rangers show up a couple of times a day at Hollywood Studios for character autographs and pics so I guess they will milk it for all it's worth.

I didn't realize they were still popular, but they were swarmed when they shoed up.
Old 02-07-11, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thread bump.

The premiere of 'Power Rangers Samurai' is tonight at 8pm on Nickelodeon.
Old 02-07-11, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Didn't already do samurais? Hmmmm I guess they are running out of ideas.
Old 02-07-11, 05:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell
Didn't already do samurais? Hmmmm I guess they are running out of ideas.
Those were Ninjas.
Old 02-24-11, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DerangedHermit
Wrong. That's third. The first two are bring back Bulk and Skull and bring back scary Zedd.
Well we have Bulk back. Hopefully Skull will follow soon. It appears that he might.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jrtvOxh_yqs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-04-11, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

According to the Power Rangers Twitter feed, Power Rangers Samurai is now the number one kids action show.

The numbers are in! Thanks to you incredible fans, #PowerRangers Samurai is the #1 kids' action show on TV. #PowerON!
Also, beetle zord
Old 03-06-11, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

New episode today at noon, eastern time. Be sure to check it out. The rangers will be getting the swordfish zord
Old 03-06-11, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

Are they still adapting the Japanese shows or are they making their own now?
Old 03-06-11, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Jason
Are they still adapting the Japanese shows or are they making their own now?
They're still adaptations; and with the one year break the US had with the re-versioned MMPR, we're now an extra season behind the Japanese show.

The Japanese show is currently on its 35th season, with the rangers having the ability to summon powers from all of the previous versions.

Watch the first couple of minutes of this vid. All of the rangers from the past seasons are gathered together. I really hope the US gets some kind of adaptation of this.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9P-9n7GIcGk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-06-11, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by LosingMyMind
They're still adaptations; and with the one year break the US had with the re-versioned MMPR, we're now an extra season behind the Japanese show.

The Japanese show is currently on its 35th season, with the rangers having the ability to summon powers from all of the previous versions.

Watch the first couple of minutes of this vid. All of the rangers from the past seasons are gathered together. I really hope the US gets some kind of adaptation of this.
That opening fight was incredible. Thanks for posting it.
Old 03-06-11, 02:40 PM

Can't believe that this show managed to exists for so long =D

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.