Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

EA's "Project $10" - Do you agree with it?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games
View Poll Results: Do you support EA's "Project $10?"
Yes - Publishers and developers should get paid for their work, even if it's EA
25.61%
No - I don't care where the money goes, I just want the cheapest price possible
68.29%
I'm bored at work and am just here for the poll
6.10%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-10, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

I was reading this article over on Yahoo! that mentioned that EA sports titles starting with Tiger Woods 2011 will carry a $10 fee to play online if you purchase the game used.

all future EA Sports games for the Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 will include a one-time, game-specific "Online Pass" code, which grants access to "online services, features and bonus content."
I don't think we've really discussed it here, so what are your thoughts?

BTW, the comments over there are golden.
Old 05-11-10, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: EA's "Project $10" - Do you agree with it?

gamestop better lower the fucking price on a used copy then!

or not. I would seeing people spend $54.99 on a used copy, only to have to pay $10 to play online. That would be gold!
Old 05-11-10, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

absolutely not. it's ridiculous that EA is trying to dictate terms to used game stores. personally, I'd love for Gamestop to completely stop selling EA games in protest. hit them where it really hurts: the bottom line. I know it will never happen, but still ridiculous. and fwiw, i hate Gamestop's used game prices and never buy used there.

from what i understand, say i own the game, but take it over to my brother's house to play. i don't believe i'd be able to play it on there without paying another $10, since the one time use code is tied to your specific machine. once you start dictating the terms of the use of the game, that's a big fuck you to the customer.
Old 05-11-10, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gamestop is actually involved in this: http://www.businesswire.com/portal/s...98&newsLang=en

Retailer GameStop (NYSE: GME) has shown support of EA’s digital strategy by selling Sony PlayStation Network cards and Xbox Live Microsoft Points cards with the purchase of new and used EA titles. “GameStop is excited to partner with such a forward-thinking publisher as Electronic Arts,” said Dan DeMatteo, Chief Executive Officer of GameStop Corp. “This relationship allows us to capitalize on our investments to market and sell downloadable content online, as well as through our network of stores worldwide.”
Old 05-11-10, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
I'd love for Gamestop to completely stop selling EA games in protest. hit them where it really hurts: the bottom line.
That's the kicker though, EA makes $0 off of Gamestop's used games already so if GS stops carrying them, EA still makes $0 and now so does GS. It won't hurt EA's bottom line at all, in fact the goal is to curb all the used sales anyway, so GS discontinuing EA sales is the ultimate goal.

Personally, I have no problems with this. There is no fee if you buy new. EA makes no money on used so that's the point of the $10. I'm all for it. I have no love for GS and buy 99% of my games new anyway. The developers and producers deserved to get paid for their product.
Old 05-11-10, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think Deftones meant new EA games as well.
Old 05-11-10, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk God

yeah, new games. stop selling EA products period. the only way Gamestop is involved in this bullshit is if they are getting discounted rates on new product. no way a company would voluntarily agree to make less money unless they get something in return.
Old 05-11-10, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

If "online services, features, and bonus content" means all new buyers get DLC for free, I'd say I'm ok with it. Sadly, I'm sure EA is intentionally wording this vaguely to make people think that's the case.
Old 05-11-10, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Aside from scenario brought up by Deftones I don't have a problem with it. I don't mind EA trying to get something out of the used game market.
Old 05-11-10, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I am all for this as well. I expect to see a lot more of this in the future from other publishers too.

Deftones, I believe the code is linked to your gamertag, so all you have to do is load up yours to play it, and your friend has a free 7 day pass.
Old 05-11-10, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
If "online services, features, and bonus content" means all new buyers get DLC for free, I'd say I'm ok with it. Sadly, I'm sure EA is intentionally wording this vaguely to make people think that's the case.
It will probably be some trivial content rather than anything they produce for that game. You know, the kind of stuff that comes out the same week as the game. I just hope these codes still work after a year or more, for those of us who tend to wait until games get cheap.
Old 05-11-10, 07:42 PM
Banned

Hmmm, hasn't EA been doing this already for the past 2 years? NBA Live 09 and 10 had a one time only codes that connects the user to the roster and dynamic updates. I don't know why people are thinking this is new.
Old 05-11-10, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I like it.
Old 05-11-10, 08:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
That's the kicker though, EA makes $0 off of Gamestop's used games already so if GS stops carrying them, EA still makes $0 and now so does GS. It won't hurt EA's bottom line at all, in fact the goal is to curb all the used sales anyway, so GS discontinuing EA sales is the ultimate goal.

Personally, I have no problems with this. There is no fee if you buy new. EA makes no money on used so that's the point of the $10. I'm all for it. I have no love for GS and buy 99% of my games new anyway. The developers and producers deserved to get paid for their product.
This would include EA games traded on sites like this also, right? I don't like it. If this works, it'll just be the first step. Next it won't work offline either, and so on. The developers and producers got paid when the game originally sold.
Old 05-11-10, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

I think it's bullshit. It'd be hilarious if Gamestop stopped selling new EA games, but kept buying and selling used ones and offering 800 microsoft points with each used purchase.
Old 05-11-10, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't have an issue with a developer finding ways to profit off the used game market, although i'm a bit biased.
Old 05-11-10, 08:41 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

No.

Movie studios don't get additional money from second-hand purchases of movies (DVD/Blu-ray).
Neither do car makers.
Or anyone else.

So fuck 'em. And when everyone turns to piracy, too bad for them.
Old 05-11-10, 08:42 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by atxbomber
Aside from scenario brought up by Deftones I don't have a problem with it. I don't mind EA trying to get something out of the used game market.
Sweet.

So when you decide to sell your used DVDs, be sure to send the respective studios a 15% cut. No, really. Same with video games. Are you not willing to do that? Perhaps you shouldn't agree with this silly policy.
Old 05-11-10, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

This affects me in precisely not a single way.
Old 05-11-10, 08:51 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by The Bus
This affects me in precisely not a single way.
If you decide to trade/sell your games, they will diminish in value quicker. All in all, it helps out us as consumers in no way. It's all for EA to rake up more money.
Old 05-11-10, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Yeah, for those people who don't think it'll affect them, they aren't trading games in. Most people trade games and this will make EA games worth less on the resale market.
Old 05-11-10, 08:55 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It's bullshit, but it's not illegal. However, I will never pay an extra $10 to play online or get DLC. In fact, unless it's a game I'm dying to play online (i.e. Rock Band 3), I won't active the one time use code, which means it will be available for the next person who buys it used from me.
Old 05-11-10, 08:57 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

If EA left their servers up indefinitely I could see them doing this. But they don't. They take down servers for old games (even when there is still an active community) in order to force people to "upgrade" to the new version (read: same game, updated roster).
Old 05-11-10, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,176 Likes on 4,205 Posts

If the DLC is just bonus stuff like the VIP pack now or a trivial online functionality like the NBA Live 2010 season stat integration had, then I think it's no big deal. If the game is significantly hampered online, on the other hand, that makes second hand games worthless and I'm not for that at all. It doesn't take much to make me prefer the new games -- even digital boobies seem to do the trick. Let's not take this too far, EA.

BTW Corvin, how do you conclude based on the quote "all future EA Sports games for the Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 will include a one-time, game-specific 'Online Pass' code, which grants access to 'online services, features and bonus content.'" that you won't be able to play the game online if you don't buy it new?

Last edited by Decker; 05-11-10 at 08:59 PM.
Old 05-11-10, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

yeah this has zero effect on me. With the prices on the games on Amazon recently, I see no need to buy used. Plus I never sell my games. I keep every single one of them. I actually liked the extra content given to those who bought mass effect 2 brand new.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.