Search this Thread

Old 05-11-10, 05:16 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
"V" -- "Fruition" -- 05/11/10

V

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
After a violent attack on someone very close to Anna, she delivers a message that the Vs don't feel safe and will be leaving; and Anna also gives a list of possible Fifth Column members to Chad, hoping he'll investigate to help in finding them. Meanwhile, Erica and the team try to track down a scientist who may have created a weapon that the Visitors are afraid of.

"Fruition" was written by John Wirth & Natalie Chaidez and directed by Bryan Spicer.

Episode 11 of 12. Next week is the season finale.
Old 05-11-10, 05:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: "V" -- "Fruition" -- 05/11/10

2 eps to go, I don't expect the network to pick it up another year, but it hasn't been all that bad. Well except that kid
Old 05-11-10, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts

So, are we ever going to find out which side Decker is really on? Is he a spy for Anna, or is he a double agent, like the chick in Flashforward?
Old 05-11-10, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason
So, are we ever going to find out which side Decker is really on?
They've left it so vague that I'm not certain the character even knows. They could flip him in any direction with one line at this point. Looks like they have about 90 minutes of air time to decide.
Old 05-11-10, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah, according to Rosenbaum we will find out what happens to Chad as well as many other surprises like why the V are on Earth.
Old 05-12-10, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Seems like Erica pocketed the solution to the soldier's being born. Now she just needs to figure out how to deliver it.
Old 05-12-10, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Help me out here...a few eps ago they said there would be a truth about the Erica's son.

What was it? I re-watched the ep and either I missed it, or it was never revealed.

Wait...was that Larry guy from Stargate Atlantis?

Last edited by Giantrobo; 05-12-10 at 12:39 AM.
Old 05-12-10, 03:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
a few eps ago they said there would be a truth about the Erica's son
the only truth they sort of kind of showed was that years ago a blood test said that the kid's father was not really his father. Something that his mother says must be wrong, test wise, being there was no one else it could have been...

but if they went into more detail on that part of the store line in the last few eps, then I missed it too..

over all I still like this show but it does seem to suffer being a re-image of the first series.. they just don't seem to have enough twists to work with IMO.. Ep after ep they have the humans trying to once again track someone else down or the Visitors story line hinting about some big plan but nothing happens.

come on, where is the rat eating!? Show needs more (as in any) nom nom nom of rats! If it comes back for a 2nd season I'll be happy.. Then again if it does not come back I'm not sure I will even care..
Old 05-12-10, 06:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Axeramm
Seems like Erica pocketed the solution to the soldier's being born. Now she just needs to figure out how to deliver it.
Yup. They have pulled the Magic Lizard Plague™ out of their asses. As soon as they figure out how deliver it (perhaps next episode?), the earth will be SAVED.
Old 05-12-10, 06:03 AM

Decent show again, looks like Lisa will join the 5th, and now they decided to evoke the V kidnapping all scientists storyline from the original, it's about time.
Old 05-12-10, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

I'm still having a hard time buying Scott Wolf being a tv newsman, particularly one who can drive public opinion. Other than that and the stupid kid, the series is slowly getting better.
Old 05-12-10, 11:02 AM

I liked this episode; I did lose it though in the beginning when Anna was talking one-on-one to Erica about her daughter and Elizabeth Mitchell did these weird facial reactions.

I think the finale will be full of information but I fear that some threads from past episodes, specifically the first six are going to be forgotten/unanswered because of the flux of writers.
Old 05-12-10, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

I think this one the first one in a while that I really liked start to finish. I liked the change in Lisa and Hobbs showing his true colors. Took them a bit long to get to this point.
Old 05-12-10, 11:41 AM

Gotta say IGN hit the nail on the head in their review. This has been my biggest problem as well:

That being said, I have to (again, I know) mention how tiny and ineffectual the Fifth Column seem by comparison. The more we see Anna work to stop them, the more I find myself thinking, "But they're just four people, who haven't really accomplished anything!" It's one of the show's biggest issues and if there's a second season, I hope something is done to remedy this quickly – it's one thing to have your underdogs heroes fighting against a juggernaut of an enemy, and it's another to feel like they really are just kind of gnats with little chance of succeeding. Step up, Fifth Column! And please, have a recruitment drive or something.
Old 05-12-10, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by yourlocalcinema
Gotta say IGN hit the nail on the head in their review. This has been my biggest problem as well:
but i dont think those 4 arent the only ones...

werent there suicide bombings? wasnt that the fifth column as well
Old 05-12-10, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by raven56706
but i dont think those 4 arent the only ones...
They aren't. Remember the 5th Column was originally started by early-arrival Vs who became human sympathizers like Ryan. There should be small factions of them worldwide. That said, we only get to see this LA crew. (BTW is that how they got the name "5th Column"? V being the Roman numeral for 5?)

Originally Posted by Luds
Decent show again, looks like Lisa will join the 5th, and now they decided to evoke the V kidnapping all scientists storyline from the original, it's about time.
There is no doubt. When she was clearly able to ignore Anna's "bliss" in that speech, it became clear that she is completely on the other team. (Go, Supergirl!)

Originally Posted by DeadLamb
the only truth they sort of kind of showed was that years ago a blood test said that the kid's father was not really his father. Something that his mother says must be wrong, test wise, being there was no one else it could have been...

but if they went into more detail on that part of the store line in the last few eps, then I missed it too..
Well the V did drop a bunch of people down in advance to impersonate existing people (that the V offed). Is it possible that someone pretended to be Erica's husband and conceived Tyler? Nah. Ryan's girlfriend's pregnancy seemed to sound like the 1st time that any breeding had worked. So who knows. I don't think you missed anything.

I think Anna is anxious about the 5th Column only because she suspects (and as of this episode, rightly so) that they possess the viral research which is now about to be sold to them by Kyle Hobbs. Now why Hobbes thinks that selling this research to the V will provide him with boundless bounty and that the V will leave him free to do as he pleases while they terrorize the rest of humanity is a point too ridiculous to even consider. Just a badly written final twist IMHO.
Old 05-12-10, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree with the root of the criticism. Yes, they SAY there are other 5th column members out there, but our group feels pretty isolated and very reactionary. The only pro-active accomplishment I can recall is blowing up the vaccine supply. It relates to the larger issue of the show not providing enough cues, especially subtle cues, to build a world context for these events.

Regarding Tyler, my theory is they did something to him genetically, before the V landed, to make it more like that he is able to breed with blondie. Perhaps he was genetically modified as a kid, or maybe implanted in his mom.

Last edited by wmansir; 05-12-10 at 12:38 PM.
Old 05-12-10, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by wmansir
Regarding Tyler, my theory is they did something to him genetically, before the V landed, to make it more like that he is able to breed with blondie. Perhaps he was genetically modified as a kid, or maybe implanted in his mom.
I thought that too, but Anna has already said that the hybrid must be destroyed, so what would be the point be the point of engineering a human to be able to breed.
Old 05-12-10, 12:57 PM

Maybe their plan is rooted in the idea that they are a "conquering" species and take the immunities and other aspects of a certain species to be added to their own; not breeding but more like engineering. Anna said that being on Earth is needed to advance their species, whatever that means.
Old 05-12-10, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Dog
I thought that too, but Anna has already said that the hybrid must be destroyed, so what would be the point be the point of engineering a human to be able to breed.
Perhaps the engineering is needed to ensure the child is able to be controlled by Anna. Also, the super soldier events suggest a queen/hive society with Anna controlling reproduction, perhaps for the entire species. She could see the hybrid as a threat to that control just for existing.

Or maybe the hybrid will have superpowers? Nah, that would be ridiculous.
Old 05-12-10, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk God

Or maybe the hybrid will have superpowers? Nah, that would be ridiculous.
Old 05-12-10, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by rfduncan
(BTW is that how they got the name "5th Column"? V being the Roman numeral for 5?)

Wikipedia says the term slightly pre-dates WWII.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fifth_column

A group that undermines from within. Fear of fifth column actions caused the UK to lock up citizens of German origin and the US, citizens of Japanese origin during WWII.
Old 05-12-10, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Perhaps the engineering is needed to ensure the child is able to be controlled by Anna.
If that were the case, why would Anna need to utilize Lisa to seduce/recruit Tyler at all?
Old 05-12-10, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts

I agree with the root of the criticism. Yes, they SAY there are other 5th column members out there, but our group feels pretty isolated and very reactionary. The only pro-active accomplishment I can recall is blowing up the vaccine supply. It relates to the larger issue of the show not providing enough cues, especially subtle cues, to build a world context for these events.

Since Anna is the "queen" in the hive sense, Lisa must be the next in line. Maybe the queen has to have a specific mate, who she devours after breeding.

Poor Tyler, but there are definitely worse ways to go.

And how exactly did Juliet not know her son's girl was a V?
Old 05-12-10, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jason
And how exactly did Juliet not know her son's girl was a V?
You mean Erica? That threw me too. I thought she knew. Is it possible Erica thought Lisa was just another kid he met in the Peace Ambassador program?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.