Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Iron Man 3 (Disney/Paramount 2013) - News, Rumors, Etc.

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 05-10-10, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Iron Man 3 - news, rumors, castings, etc.

It's never too early! According to an article at joblo.com, Favreau says he wants the Mandarin in Iron Man 3!

Is it too premature to start thinking about IRON MAN 3 already? Not when the new one made $133M it’s opening weekend. Sure, there’s THOR, CAPTAIN AMERICA and THE AVENGERS which will need to come first, but I have a feeling we’ll most definitely see IRON MAN 3 at some point, though whether it’s before or after THE AVENGERS I’m not sure.

But director Jon Favreau is already looking ahead, as he should, and he already has big ideas for the potential villain in the third film. Here’s what he had to say to MTV:

"You have to do The Mandarin," he said. "The problem with The Mandarin is, the way it's depicted in the comic books, you don't want to see that. He also has 10 magical rings, and it just doesn't feel right for our thing, so it's either tech-based or the rings are not really rings."

"But maybe with 'Thor' and all those others you'll introduce magic to that world and it won't seem so out of place," he said.

I’m not a comic connoisseur per se, but from what I’ve read about Mandarin, his rings are tech derived from a crashed alien spaceship. Sure, aliens aren’t exactly a smooth fit with the current Iron Man universe, but it’s not quite “magic” either. I’m sure they’re more worried about how they’re planning on integrating a Norse god into the world rather than explaining away some technologically advanced rings.

Anyway, I’m sure whatever they work out will be alright, and IRON MAN 3 is one of a few forthcoming movie sequels I’d actually line up to see. Just don't go all SPIDER-MAN or X-MEN 3 with it.

link: http://www.joblo.com/index.php?id=32075

Last edited by toddly6666; 05-10-10 at 03:48 PM.
Old 05-10-10, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Iron Man 3 - news, rumors, castings, etc.

Who is Iron Man?
Old 05-10-10, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 595 Likes on 430 Posts

Too early.
Old 05-10-10, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Iron Man 3 is so last week. I wonder who's going to be in Iron Man 4?
Old 05-10-10, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

I imagine they won't even think about Iron Man 3 till after Avengers, so what, that's like 2014 at earliest?
Old 05-10-10, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

2014 can't get here fast enough.

I can't wait for the 3rd Avengers film.... and I wonder if The Inhumans will be featured in the Fantastic Four reboot trilogy.
Old 05-10-10, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Here's who I wouldn't mind seeing as The Mandarin:

Chow Yun-Fat or Hiroyuki Sanada
Old 05-10-10, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ No Ken Watanabe.
Old 05-10-10, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

OLD BOY's Min-sik Choi if they really want people to be afraid. I think he's the best actor in Asia. And he would scare the fuck out of Iron Man.

Chow Yun Fat is cool, but he's really not a good actor. He was decent in Crouching Tiger, but he's really just dull most of the time.

Ken Watanabe is good but he's gonna need a speech coach. I never understand his English.

Last edited by toddly6666; 05-11-10 at 08:49 AM.
Old 05-10-10, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by toddly6666
OLD BOY's Min-sik Choi if they really want people to be afraid. I think he's the best actor in Asia. And he would scare the fuck out of Iron Man.

Chow Yun Fat is cool, but he's really not a good actor. He was decent in Crouching Tiger, but he's really just dull most of the time.

Ken Watanabe is good but he's gonna need a speech coach. I never understand his English.
I would have said Min-sik Choi but I don't think he speaks a word of English. Yun-Fat is very charismatic but needs a good script; with the exception of "The Corruptor" he hasn't had a single English language film that utilizes his talents.

Watanabe is wrong for the reason you mentioned; he's been acting in English language films for good time but doesn't sound like he's improved one bit (unlike Yun-Fat who made tremendous improvements between Replacement Killers and The Corruptor, only a year apart)
Old 05-11-10, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

Forget Iron Man 3, I'm all about the Iron Man IV:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/k23GY_mEy10&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/k23GY_mEy10&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 05-11-10, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 619 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by Sierra Disc
Forget Iron Man 3, I'm all about the Iron Man IV:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/k23GY_mEy10&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/k23GY_mEy10&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

But I refuse to watch that unless Stallone directs and we get no less than two montage sequences and pre-fight music video.
Old 05-11-10, 07:02 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

lol...just promise me a montage...I'm still laughing.
Old 05-11-10, 07:10 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
I would have said Min-sik Choi but I don't think he speaks a word of English. Yun-Fat is very charismatic but needs a good script; with the exception of "The Corruptor" he hasn't had a single English language film that utilizes his talents.

Watanabe is wrong for the reason you mentioned; he's been acting in English language films for good time but doesn't sound like he's improved one bit (unlike Yun-Fat who made tremendous improvements between Replacement Killers and The Corruptor, only a year apart)
Watanabe speaks fine I think, his own english is fine by me. Of course in his acting he perfects it. Loved him in Letters from Iwo Jima.

off topic: I just love LFIJ. A damn fine movie that I was amazed WB actually allowed to be released in Japanese. In fact any studio doing that for that matter is amazing.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 05-11-10 at 07:13 AM.
Old 05-11-10, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

No matter the origins of the rings, I don't think Mandarin will translate well into the same universe we've seen up till now. Checking Iron Man's rogues gallery though reveals he hasn't got shit to care about. Twice now we've seen other bad guys use the arc reactor tech to fight Iron Man, so something similar would be overkill.
Old 05-11-10, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Wolf359
No matter the origins of the rings, I don't think Mandarin will translate well into the same universe we've seen up till now. Checking Iron Man's rogues gallery though reveals he hasn't got shit to care about. Twice now we've seen other bad guys use the arc reactor tech to fight Iron Man, so something similar would be overkill.
That's why I was never a fan of the Iron Man comic - overkill. It's either villains stealing his technology or it's an Asian magician. I like the movie versions more and I like it more when Iron Man is with the Avengers rather than by himself.
Old 05-11-10, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

^^

Its really a shame that Avengers is coming before Iron Man 3, because it would have been EPIC to see him fight the Hulk in his own movie and pretty much get his ass kicked, then at the end Cap and Thor come in to help leading right into an Avengers movie later the same year.
Old 05-11-10, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Wolf359
^^

Its really a shame that Avengers is coming before Iron Man 3, because it would have been EPIC to see him fight the Hulk in his own movie and pretty much get his ass kicked, then at the end Cap and Thor come in to help leading right into an Avengers movie later the same year.
This makes me wonder about what new Iron Man armor will appear in The Avengers, if Hulk is going to be an adversary for the team. Maybe we will see the Hulk-Buster armor.
Old 05-11-10, 02:02 PM
Banned

I'm all about the Hulk-Buster armor.
Old 05-11-10, 06:29 PM
Banned

What I want is....IM using the HB armor, while Cap somehow still attacking w/ Thor. I love seeing Cap take on the Hulk..we got a bit of tease of that from Blonsky facing Hulk..and it was cool.
Old 05-11-10, 06:48 PM
Banned

I dunno who wouldn't think of doing whatever they could. Cap was lucky to stand against him for that short time.

The Ultimate Avengers cartoon did well showing how a fight like that could go.

<object width="512" height="322"><param name="movie" value="http://d.yimg.com/static.video.yahoo.com/yep/YV_YEP.swf?ver=2.2.46" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="AllowScriptAccess" VALUE="always" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" /><param name="flashVars" value="id=940271&vid=140087&lang=en-gb&intl=uk&thumbUrl=http%3A//l.yimg.com/a/i/us/sch/cn/v/v0/w410/140087_400_300.jpeg&embed=1" /><embed src="http://d.yimg.com/static.video.yahoo.com/yep/YV_YEP.swf?ver=2.2.46" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="512" height="322" allowFullScreen="true" AllowScriptAccess="always" bgcolor="#000000" flashVars="id=940271&vid=140087&lang=en-gb&intl=uk&thumbUrl=http%3A//l.yimg.com/a/i/us/sch/cn/v/v0/w410/140087_400_300.jpeg&embed=1" ></embed></object>
Ultimate Hulk Destroys the Avengers @ Yahoo! Video

Last edited by Solid Snake; 05-11-10 at 07:14 PM.
Old 05-11-10, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

As long as this returns, I don't care:

Old 10-18-10, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 722 Likes on 527 Posts

Disney to Distribute Marvel's 'The Avengers,' 'Iron Man 3'
3:12 PM 10/18/2010 by Kim Masters

Studio pays $115 million for transfer of rights from Paramount.

Paramount sources say the studio stands to profit handsomely from its deal to shift marketing and distribution of Marvel’s 2012 tentpole “The Avengers” and still-unslotted “Iron Man 3” to Disney, which acquired the comic-book company last year.

Paramount will receive distribution fees for both films with a guaranteed minimum of $115 million regardless of how the films perform.

Paramount insiders say the studio will receive its usual 8 percent distribution fee for “The Avengers” and an increase to 9 percent for the third “Iron Man.” Disney quickly announced a release date of May 3, 2013 for “Iron Man 3.”

The deal gives Disney -- which has faltered at the box office recently -- a chance to benefit from its acquisition of Marvel.

Paramount views the deal as an opportunity “to do no work on ‘Iron Man 3’ and ‘Avengers’ ” and still make more money on the films, according to a source.

That source said Paramount has made $300 million from its Marvel relationship so far. It was studio chief Brad Grey’s first major move, he added, and has now served its purpose of filling the pipeline as the regime readied such other projects as “Star Trek,” its re-launches of the “Mission:Impossible” series and the Jack Ryan series, which are in progress.

The studio will retain distribution rights to Marvel properties “Thor” and “Captain America.”

Disney will pay Paramount the $115 million on the pics’ release dates and it will serve as “a minimum guarantee against the distribution fees,” the studios said.
Old 10-18-10, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Iron Man 3 (Disney/Paramount 2013) - News, Rumors, Etc.

I think taking off 3 years instead of 2 is a good idea. Plus, seeing IM in Avengers will only whet the appetite of fans hungry for more. Of course, if Avengers sucks....
Old 10-18-10, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Iron Man 3 (Disney/Paramount 2013) - News, Rumors, Etc.

After 'Iron Man 2', I expect this to be completely worthless.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.