Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Any Favorite Shows You Purposely Dont Watch Because You are Tired Of Buying Reruns?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Any Favorite Shows You Purposely Dont Watch Because You are Tired Of Buying Reruns?

Old 05-08-10, 08:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this may sound odd but I am really tired of buying reruns.

I watch a show. It's great. Can't wait till the DVD comes out. Buy it. Watch it. Yes! It looks much better and no commercials to boot. But... I have seen all these episodes before.

So now, I purposely don't watch, for example, Fringe because when I buy the DVD it will be new shows I will be watching instead of reruns.

I know this is not something everyone should do as that would lower the viewer numbers and could result in cancellations. We don't want that, especially for our favorite shows but does anyone else do this?

James
Old 05-08-10, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
Re: Any Favorite Shows You Purposely Dont Watch Because You are Tired Of Buying Rerun

I generally only buy TV shows that will hold up to repeated viewings. Each of us has our own criteria for "what holds up". Ex, in the case of Friends, which my daughter has all the episodes thanks to us, I have seen several episodes many times but I really enjoy them for some of the lines and the characters.
Obviously, this is a very subjective thing but overall it the scenes and such that are treasured that make me want to have the episodes.

Last edited by JANK; 05-08-10 at 08:18 AM. Reason: grammer
Old 05-08-10, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Any Favorite Shows You Purposely Dont Watch Because You are Tired Of Buying Rerun

Like Jank, I will only buy a DVD of a show that I think I'd be inclined to view more than once. If I was to only watch it once, I might as well just resell it immediately after watching it. And, if that were the case, I might as well have just watched it on TV the first time and could have saved myself the cost of the DVD to begin with.
Old 05-08-10, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Agreed with those here--and I wouldn't probably buy a TV show I hadn't seen previously. I want to know I like it.

That said, no, I don't wait to watch a show on DVD. I watch it on broadcast TV because I have a Tivo and don't have to deal with commercials or recorded repeats anyway.
Old 05-08-10, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

There are shows I lose track of during a season because I miss an episode here and there and I give up on watching it figuring I will catch up on DVD/Blu-Ray later on. V is this season's show I gave up on, not due to lack of interest but because I want to catch up on it on Blu-Ray when it comes out.

And I buy PLENTY of TV shows I haven't seen before that I will buy. The main reason is because I can't watch everything when it's on for one reason or another and I will hear about a show later on and decide I want to catch up on it. Sons of Anarchy is a recent one for me.

If it's a show I like and want to watch the episodes again I don't mind waiting to buy the season sets until they either go down in price or a complete series set is released. I haven't bought any seasons of Lost since season two when it dawned on me that a full series set was inevitable. I don't feel a compulsion to watch a show three months after completing watching it on TV.

Last edited by calhoun07; 05-08-10 at 09:30 AM.
Old 05-08-10, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

Originally Posted by calhoun07
There are shows I lose track of during a season because I miss an episode here and there and I give up on watching it figuring I will catch up on DVD/Blu-Ray later on. V is this season's show I gave up on, not due to lack of interest but because I want to catch up on it on Blu-Ray when it comes out.
This is why I stopped watching Alias and never started watching 24. In the old days of manual recording I would miss an episode or two and get lost. So I bought Alias season 1 and 24 season 2 on DVD and have never watched them.

Originally Posted by calhoun07
If it's a show I like and want to watch the episodes again I don't mind waiting to buy the season sets until they either go down in price or a complete series set is released. I haven't bought any seasons of Lost since season two when it dawned on me that a full series set was inevitable. I don't feel a compulsion to watch a show three months after completing watching it on TV.
Replay value is a funny thing. I've only watched one or two episodes of my Lost DVD/BDs. 30 Rock I'll sometimes immediately rewatch on DVR to catch the gags but I've never cracked my season 1 DVDs. Some of my newer shows--Glee, Castle, The Good Wife--I have rewatched on DVR and DVD. Hard to say. In some cases I rewatch with someone else who hasn't seen it, but I might not actively choose to watch it by myself.
Old 05-08-10, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm spoiled enough that I now have to watch every episode of a show in order, if I'm going to bother watching it. This is true even if the shows are mostly episodic. Therefore, there are shows that I wait until they're out on DVD because I've never caught up with them.

For example, Bones. I've never seen a "live" airing of this show even though I really like it, because other shows with higher priority were on at the same time when it first started. I bought the seasons on DVD as they came out. And even though I could now manage to watch the current episodes when they air, I don't because I never finish with the previous season in time for the current season premiere.

Another show, NCIS, I didn't watch from the start either, but bought the seasons on DVD and eventually got caught up. I now watch as it airs every week. Now my debate is: when the current season comes out on DVD, do I buy it to keep my NCIS collection complete, or not because I've already seen the episodes? I haven't decided the answer to that yet.

Last edited by Tscott; 05-08-10 at 10:39 AM.
Old 05-08-10, 11:41 AM

The only show I watch when it's broadcast is The Amazing Race (only 2 seasons are on DVD). I prefer DVD/Blu-Ray for their convenience and special features (Blu-Ray for superior quality). Anything I choose to watch, I have to start at the very beginning, so it helps having all the episodes together, in order. I also love not having to skip commercials or deal with satellite broadcast compression artifacts.

I'm a watch and resell guy. Sets hold their resell value pretty well, and if I wait for a really good sale price, I usually at least break even, if not make a few bucks. My only problem is I watch so many different shows (and movies) that I'm way behind in anything currently being broadcast.
Old 05-08-10, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts

FRINGE- didn't discover the show until halfway through second season. Bought and watched seasson 1 in a single week. Caught ther first two episodes of season two during holiday reruns and then they skipped to rerun of episode 5. Hate not watching it every week but have to see this in order. Eagerly awaiting season two dvds. Will cram watch those while recoding first episodes of season three until caught up and then watch S3 as they air.

LOST-Watched each week plus bought the dvds. Partway through season 4 local channel pre-empted episode because of severe weather. Quit watching. Tried to step in at point I quit watching with the dvds but been too long and couldn't follow. Don't feel like rewatching what I've seen yet. Will wait about 10 years after last season is released on dvd and watch the entire thing.
Old 05-08-10, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

My wife and I enjoy House, M.D. but for some reason just about never think to watch it first-run on Fox. When USA had episodes on Friday nights after Monk and Psych, we'd stick around and watch then, but now that Monk is gone and Psych isn't on Fridays anymore, there's no anchor for us on that night, either. We've pretty much decided to just follow that series on DVD.

Psych and Burn Notice are really the only two shows I make it a point to watch these days, but thanks to DVD I don't mind missing an episode of Psych here or there because it livens up the DVD viewing later. Burn Notice is a show viewers can't really afford to miss often, which is probably why we've only got Season One on DVD...and haven't watched on disc yet at all. It needs some more time before I think I'll be ready to go back and start again on it.
Old 05-09-10, 08:12 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts

I blind buy, or mainly blind buy, TV sets all the time. I much prefer the DVD experience over the cable/DVR experience, so often wait until shows I like, or shows I'm pretty sure I'll like, are out of DVD (and cheap) to watch them.
Old 05-09-10, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I bought all the Buffy seasons on DVD and only rewatched them once and that was to show them to my wife. I bought the first season of Angel and haven't bought the others yet, but will probably buy the complete season once it's on Blu-Ray. I've been buying the Smallville seasons because I quit watching them first run on tv. I missed a few episodes and just decided to buy them on DVD. I'm still on Season 5.
Old 05-09-10, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

I watch alot of stuff live when it first airs on tv. I also buy alot of tv on dvd sets. I havent seen everything that I buy. And I dont buy everything that I have already seen. I dont mind the "rerun" factor. Actually I really like retching a shows previous season right before the new season airs.
Old 05-09-10, 02:41 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by jjcool
Actually I really like retching a shows previous season right before the new season airs.
I usually avoid shows that make me retch.
Old 05-10-10, 12:17 AM

I normally buy shows I really love, and mainly for bonus features, like commentaries. Though I own a lot of sets that I have bought since they were on sale, and I probably won't watch for years. The Shield I just bought for $65, and will re-watch some day, but am not planning on it anytime soon.
Old 05-10-10, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

About the only time I've ever done this was with the first season of Lost. I didn't watch the first few episodes and I didn't want to start watching in the middle so I just waited for the DVD. I did buy Firefly, but that wasn't a show I watched when it was on the air, nor had I intended to.

But for the most part, I don't buy shows blind, and I don't deprive myself of watching shows I enjoy because I'm going to buy them later. I mean, until I got HD at home, the only way I could see shows in Widescreen was to buy the DVD. So for those shows, it was like watching them new.