Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'P.S. I Love You'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-10, 12:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Cameron McGaughy's DVD review of P.S. I Love You at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=33085 and... I totally disagree. Might I be so bold as to correct you McGaughy; In the first paragraph of your review you list Gerard Butler's character as Holly's (Hilary Swank) 'boyfriend'.. tsk tsk, He was her husband, something you seemed to have discovered by the third paragraph!?
Also, when Holly and her gal pals go fishing, there was NO inadvertently catching of any fish at all.
I do wonder if perhaps a lack of concentration led to your dislike of the film
You write that Gerry 'wanted to somehow control his wife's life and recovery after his death' and your opinion bothers me. I feel that Gerry's deep understanding of his wife and how she would behave was set up VERY CLEARLY from the moment the movie began, and most definitely when Holly receives Gerry's first message via a birthday cake. The ensuing conversation flowed freely as if Gerry were in the room - the fact that he wasnt, and was still able to respond to everyone's reactions was a little piece of comical brilliance.. yes its been done before, but this really paid off well.
No chemistry between Butler and Swank? I swear you were watching a different movie!! I think it was delightful casting putting these two fabulous actors together and I totally believed they were a married, loving, complicated couple.. The script writing was insightful, if not a little hopeful - allowing us to see the depth of love of a very 'manly man' for his 'woman', and the creative lengths he would go to, to ensure she found happiness within herself after his passing. Defintitely chick flick content but not impossible mister!! And what is soooo wrong with finding another man that resembles Gerard Butler?? haha I actually think that Jeffrey Dean Morgan could be considered a delicious upgrade!!
As a woman, I found the female cast to be just fine! Strong, independent and reliable friends and family that could truly be counted on. (I agree that Holly's sister was indeed strangely chirpy, but i thought it refreshing and not overly distracting).
Kathy Bates portrayal of a disgruntled mother who felt she was finally getting her daughter back now that the lout that stole her away was out of the picture, was extremely well done. I found myself grumbling at Her lack of sympathy for her daughters grief, not wanting to indulge Holly the time she needed, (explained a little by the backstory of her own husband abandoning them) was very realistic. To discover Holly's mother was integral to Gerry's plan redeemed her to me, and I loved that, while Holly's mother expressed her blunt views during all the letter delivery business, she all the while was putting aside her feelings behind the scenes to uphold her promise.
The laughs in my house were loud, and often!! The look Holly gives Gerry after he tells her 'you look good', in the Hospital scene was hilarious! Sure, she looks great, covered in blood and bandages suffering a broken nose! This movie had me in tears one minute, stitches the next! Now before you sigh and shake your head, I am not one of those single, lonely women you described as being best suited to this film, aaaand, I am a horror buff to boot, so I dont shed a tear or a giggle unless well earned.
To sum up, I wish I had seen this movie when it was released as I had a blast watching it! It drew all kinds of reactions out of me and I loved every second - so much so that I viewed it a second time a few days later, and now intend to read the book! 7.5.2010
My verdict: 8/10 !!