Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

L.A.P.I. (dir. Jody Hill) (starring Danny McBride)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 05-05-10, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

via slashfilm:

Now that Danny McBride and Jody Hill ostensibly have the keys to the kingdom by way of their new production company, Rough House Pictures, the world of comedy better watch its stagnant ass. Hill is attached to direct, and McBride to star as a “beaten down, hardboiled private investigator,” in a new action-comedy called L.A.P.I. Their pal and fellow North Carolina School of the Arts alum, David Gordon Green, who co-founded the company with them last year, will co-produce.

What’s intriguing is that unlike their previous collaborations The Foot Fist Way, HBO’s Eastbound & Down, and Observe & Report, the idea and pitch for L.A.P.I. originates outside the crew’s creative circle, from screenwriter team Michael Diliberti and Matthew Sullivan. The duo have two other buzzing projects in development: a comedy entitled Comic Con (one of two scripts by these guys on the 2009 Black List) and a remake of Brewster’s Millions. McBride and Hill are pretty damn selective about material, so I can’t wait to hear more and see what appealed to them. Read the official press release and additional /Film thoughts after the jump. Or just go celebrate in your backyard by waving around a machete and leaving uncool magical trails….
http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/02/04/...dy-hills-lapi/
Old 05-05-10, 07:15 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: L.A.P.I. (dir. Jody Hill) (starring Danny McBride)

McBride is selective about his material? Someone didn't see Land of the Lost, then.
Old 05-05-10, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

I still don't get the hate for Land of the Lost Sure the plot was shit, but it was a pretty fun/entertaining movie (seeing it free may have helped).
Old 05-05-10, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Fun trivia: Kiss Kiss Bang Bang was originally titled L.A.P.I.
Old 05-06-10, 04:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RichC2
I still don't get the hate for Land of the Lost Sure the plot was shit, but it was a pretty fun/entertaining movie (seeing it free may have helped).
Totally agree. The movie was very funny. The plot was an afterthought and basically worthless but the film has tons of great lines. McBride calling the T-Rex a pussy gets me every time.

I'll pretty much see anything with Danny McBride. Jody Hill is only at 50% with me though. Foot Fist Way was great but Observe and Report was awful.
Old 05-06-10, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 126 Posts

I hated Land of the Lost, but I think that's the only project with McBride that I've disliked. I love Foot Fist Way, Eastbound & Down and Observe & Report, so I'll be in for this one on opening night.
Old 05-06-10, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I hope L.A.P.I. opens opposite R.I.P.D.
Old 05-06-10, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As long as Danny McBride sticks with Jody Hill/David Gordon Green, all upcoming projects will be awesome. If he keeps on doing shit for Will Ferrell though, that's a way to mess up his career.
Old 05-06-10, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
McBride is selective about his material? Someone didn't see Land of the Lost, then.
i have a feeling he did LOTL because will ferrell asked him to. ferrell got FOOT FIST WAY distribution so maybe he felt like he owed him one.
Old 05-06-10, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by toddly6666
As long as Danny McBride sticks with Jody Hill/David Gordon Green, all upcoming projects will be awesome. If he keeps on doing shit for Will Ferrell though, that's a way to mess up his career.
You are kidding right? Ferrell may get a lot of crap but he has been vastly more successful than any of these people and can be a bigger help as far as exposure to his career than two people that have had marginally successful movies that most of the public have not heard about or even liked.

All projects will be awesome? We shall see...of all of the projects that this "super group" has done only Pineapple Express is one that I would even say I have liked a bit. Nothing else they have done and yes I have seen most of it would I even consider to be good; IMHO that is...
Old 05-06-10, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by RyoHazuki
Foot Fist Way was great but Observe and Report was awful.
I thought Observe and Report was one of the best movies made last year, 20 years from now it will be remembered as one of the great dark comedies.
Old 05-06-10, 10:16 AM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

This sounds promising -- I like the collaborations thus far with McBride/Hill/Green.
Old 05-06-10, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I will watch ANYTHING Hill does. His output is nothing short of comedic genius and I eagerly anticipate anything he's attached to.

Originally Posted by sauce07
I thought Observe and Report was one of the best movies made last year, 20 years from now it will be remembered as one of the great dark comedies.
I couldn't agree more.
Old 05-06-10, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Observe and Report was just so unrealistic I couldn't connect to any of it. I don't demand total realism from my movies, but Observe and Report just had me rolling my eyes almost nonstop at how ridiculous it was.
Old 05-06-10, 03:20 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Actually, out of all the McBride/Hill collaborations, I thought Foot Fist Way was by far the worst. It was too broad, meandering, and mean-spirited. Observe and Report, on the other hand, is absolutely brilliant.
Old 05-07-10, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

I have to watch Observe and Report again one day. I still don't know how I feel about it. I will say that going in, I had a completely different image of what it would be like. The movie was just absolutely bizarre.
Old 05-07-10, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Actually, out of all the McBride/Hill collaborations, I thought Foot Fist Way was by far the worst. It was too broad, meandering, and mean-spirited. Observe and Report, on the other hand, is absolutely brilliant.
I agree with this.
Old 05-07-10, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by sauce07
Agreed. If it isn't the Lebowski of this decade, it's the next Quick Change or Something Wild.
Old 05-07-10, 08:26 PM

I don't really understand the fuss about "realism" in Observe and Report - it wasn't particularly the greatest comedy or anything, but it was dead-on with exagerrating mall cliches (the Middle Eastern guy selling skin and hair products at a mall kiosk, the shit-for-brains mall security, the prissy cosmetic counter girls, the nerdy food court employees). If this was too unrealistic, how on earth did you handle Pineapple Express? They're clearly both genre films - Observe and Report being an obvious nod to 70's alienation flicks (Taxi Driver, Marathon Man, etc) but more comedic.