Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Is anyone amazed how ageless Predator (1987) looks?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 05-03-10, 05:07 PM
En vacance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For a few unique elements that combined together created a pretty ageless looking movie for 1987, which is also unique considering this came out in the toughest era for looking ageless in the freakin 80s with all of its crazy ass styles.

1.The setting: Jungle. there are no urban settings, it's all countryside, even Die Hard 1 can't do this. There is no whatever 70s model long car that seemed to populate every 80s street or some bright Lambhorgini riding by with someone wearing giant shades. The raggedy natives/rebels probably still look like they did to this day.

2.The fashion styles. Since they're not wearing urban clothes, but military things, which don't go through as many changes as the type of jeans people wear. The army gear for those that aren't really into military details still look relatively modern, the rifles, the caps they wear, and their hair since people still cut their hair in the military as usual, aren't combed in any way or have the common 80s mullet or Sting style hair. Even in The Thing 1982 people have hippie hair! Also since they're a commando team they are not fated to wear that little Vietnam era helmet compared to today's ergonomically futuristic head gear. Their heads need only cloth for protection since they're so cool. Even the good Predator 2 seems to have people wearing fashions from about 4 different decades.

3.The way it's filmed, the camera isn't afraid to do close ups along with far shots, using either indiscriminantly just like movies noawadays and a few others from the past which also look ageless for these same reasons (The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, Apocalypse Now). Also the camera moves around without being static too much to date it, even the great Highlander movie has cheesy camerawork! This also probably has the best movie jungle ever the way it was filmed.

4.The special effects, this is especially tricky since a scifi movie severly becomes a prisoner of its time from the get-go from whatever quick advancement of effects is occuring. But it is utterly amazing how the Predator costume and his head look so real, not even the great Terminator 1 had such craft although i still like the Fisher Price evil Arnie head. Also it came at the tail end of the physical effects age when physical effects were still the only thing available and at its peak before things started switching toward the CGI age, any effects movie had this benefit then, like the Alien movies. The slightly-off invisible camo effect has also been copied a lot since then like Reptile in Mortal Kombat.

Hats off to Predator, in this Animal House group photo, one of the rare movies.

Last edited by FRwL; 05-03-10 at 11:04 PM.
Old 05-03-10, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Is anyone amazed how ageless Predator (1987) looks?

Yup, same with Aliens. Why I trash & can't stand 99% of the special effect heavy movies that everyone here raves about. Pure creature effects, widescreen action, & the ability to hold a shot for more than 5 seconds, all things lost & forgoten today.
Old 05-03-10, 05:47 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ditto.

It's very ageless oddly enough. It's actually and possibly the only 80s movie set in...the 80s...that doesn't feel like it's the 80s. And your reasons ring true. I mean hell that scene where the Predator literally reveals himself has aged well up till the cannon does it thing but even that really sells that scene well now. I mean..it's a damn good film. Out of all the 80s action films....this one is actually all around pretty damn good. Commando is awesome..as an action film. Predator hits it on all cylinders.
Old 05-03-10, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great movie. Even though I can hear the pitch "It's 'Alien' in the woods"... it was done well.
Old 05-03-10, 06:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by lamphorn
Great movie. Even though I can hear the pitch "It's 'Alien' in the woods"... it was done well.
more like "Alien in the jungle....vs. ARNOLD"....
Old 05-03-10, 06:37 PM
Banned

It's a RIGHT-WING movie so of course it's ageless.
The plot has the government to use the special task force in a mission that was a lie.
Old 05-03-10, 06:44 PM
Banned

wtf is up w/ whatever you post? Are you seriously looking at Predator for such a level of preposterous depth?
Old 05-03-10, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wm lopez
The plot has the government to use the special task force in a mission that was a lie.

You forget to take your meds today?
Old 05-03-10, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Where's Groucho?
Old 05-03-10, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 369 Likes on 263 Posts

Just like Red Dawn is so ageless today.
Old 05-03-10, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 362 Likes on 262 Posts

Yep, the OP tackled pretty-much why this movie is so good.

John McTiernan is a man who cares about the camera. It shows what's going on in a traditional, relatively static manner, and relies on what's actually happening to create the feelings. ...not a twirly camera.

As a funny little side note, John McTiernan was the very first director that I ever memorized. I was maybe 8 years old. I thought (well, was) that I was supercool to know that stuff when I was a younkin. It all went downhill(?) from there.

I always thought it was supercool to see Shane Black acting in it.
Old 05-03-10, 10:20 PM
Banned

I only just found out recently Shane Black was the nerdy guy.

Man, I love Predator. Out of all Arnold's flicks...this film is my favorite. I love T2 a lot but...Predator had as much as I could ever want. Also....just I'm still amazed that The Predator suit looks that amazing today. No offense to Alien but...the Predator suit hasn't aged all it's still a massive menacing ugly motherfucker. I love when he takes off the mask...and the reveal you're just...in shock. Winston was a god in that field for sure.
Old 05-04-10, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, a movie about the big evil military machine exploiting and using their grunts with complete disregard for their lives is sooo right-wing.

Oh wait, it is about fighting illegal aliens, though.
Old 05-04-10, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts

Thanks to Shane Black, his character doesn't sport a cheesy red beret. He refused to wear the one wardrobe gave him.
Old 05-04-10, 05:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Numanoid
Yes, a movie about the big evil military machine exploiting and using their grunts with complete disregard for their lives is sooo right-wing.

Oh wait, it is about fighting illegal aliens, though.
Probably referring to Arnold's team being sent in to find the previous team which were on a covert mission that violated U.S. law.
Old 05-04-10, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

blah blah, blah blah blah. blah blah blah blah blah (blah). blah?
Old 05-04-10, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

I first saw this in the early 90's and it already seemed dated to me.
There was one shot in particular that screamed "CHEESEY 80's HOMO EROTIC ACTION MOVIE" to me.

Old 05-04-10, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Great post, OP. I was just thinking the very same thing over the weekend. Predator could come out summer 2010 in theaters and not look dated at all.

Predator is just the perfect action movie. The suspense is built up. Great cast, awesome sound effects, and I love the jungle beat soundtrack. Killer action. The best scene is where they just go nuts and unload all their ammo into the jungle.

Even though the predator is just a guy in the suit, the makeup and camera shots still sell the creature to me.
Old 05-04-10, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Mr. Lopez YOU are ageless. Thank you for being you.
Old 05-04-10, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Agreed on all counts. I fucking love this movie. It's got the manliest cast ever assembled, tons of great action and one of Winston's most timeless creatures. I think one factor that sets it apart from so many other movies is that, even if the Predator never showed up, it's still a badass movie all on its own.
Old 05-04-10, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

They really, really don't make 'em like this anymore. This is one of those films that's in every action fan's collection.
Old 05-04-10, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yup, I've always said the same thing. There are some very minor dated elements but overall it holds up very well. Of course part of that is because it's just a remake of Beowulf.

I still remember seeing it in the theatre. People stood up at the end and clapped.
Old 05-04-10, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Agreed on all counts. I fucking love this movie. It's got the manliest cast ever assembled, tons of great action and one of Winston's most timeless creatures. I think one factor that sets it apart from so many other movies is that, even if the Predator never showed up, it's still a badass movie all on its own.
Although I think The Expendables will surpass Predator as the manliest cast ever. It has:

Stallone
Jason Statham
Stone Cold Steve Austin
Arnold! lol
Bruce Willis
Mickey Rourke
Danny Trejo
Jet Li
Dolph Lundgren
Mickey Rourke
Old 05-04-10, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Although I had always watched westerns as a kid, this was the first movie which made me really acknowledge the gatling gun.
Old 05-04-10, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This movie fucking rules.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.