Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Bungie turns to the Dark Side...partners with Activision with 10 year deal

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-10, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Bungie turns to the Dark Side...partners with Activision with 10 year deal

via Bungie.net:

Bungie and Activision Announce Exclusive, Worldwide Partnership.

The story of Bungie is wild, winding, and full of majestic wonder. We’ve treaded many pathways over these last nineteen years. But for all the twists and turns we’ve taken, we’re still doing what we set out to do from the beginning, back when the whole of “Bungie Software Products Corporation” consisted of two friends operating out of a basement in Chicago:

Making kick ass games that we want to play.

And as Bungie has grown, the industry’s best and brightest have been totally accretive to our own creative margins. It’s no secret that while the full might of our studio has focused on making Halo: Reach, another core team, led by our co-founder and Studio Creative Director, Jason Jones, has already begun laying the groundwork to bring our newest universe, stories, and characters to life.

Today, we’re poised to open a new chapter in Bungie’s history—one that begins with a partnership between Bungie and Activision and ends where we always knew it would, with World Domination. Our Next Big Thing now has a concrete path, leading from our studio to the platforms of our choosing. The business formalities are behind us. Our Constitution remains unchanged. We are still Bungie, still independent, and now we are free to bring our stories to an ever bigger audience.

Next up, the most ambitious game we’ve ever made, Halo: Reach. Built upon ten years of experience developing the Halo franchise, we’ve assembled the best team, the best technology, and the best talent to ensure that Reach is the game our fans deserve. Strap in and buckle up tight, we’re sending our baby out with a bang.

Once the smoke clears, all the pieces will finally be in place for Step 7. Don’t worry, though. We won’t let World Domination go to our heads. We’re gonna keep making kick ass games on our own terms, and since you’ve been so supportive throughout the years, we’d love to bring you along for the ride.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

BUNGIE AND ACTIVISION ANNOUNCE EXCLUSIVE, WORLDWIDE PARTNERSHIP

10-Year Alliance Expands Global Reach for Leading Game Developer Across Multiple Platforms
Kirkland, WA and Santa Monica, CA – April 29, 2010 -- Bungie, the developer of blockbuster game franchises including Halo, Myth and Marathon, and Activision, a wholly owned subsidiary of Activision Blizzard, the #1 online games publisher (Nasdaq: ATVI), announced today that they have entered into an exclusive 10-year partnership to bring Bungie’s next big action game universe to market. Under the terms of the agreement, Activision will have exclusive, worldwide rights to publish and distribute all future Bungie games based on the new intellectual property on multiple platforms and devices. Bungie remains an independent company and will continue to own their intellectual property. Additional terms of the agreement were not disclosed.

The groundbreaking alliance will provide Bungie its first such partnership since splitting off from Microsoft in 2007, significantly broadening its global reach by providing the resources and support to develop, distribute and release games worldwide on multiple platforms and devices.

Activision will broaden its portfolio with a new franchise from one of the industry’s most creative, successful and proven studios, whose games have sold more than 25 million units worldwide. To date, Bungie’s Halo games have generated approximately $1.5 billion in revenues, according to The NPD Group, Charttrack and GfK. Activision expects this agreement to be accretive to its operating margins as of the release of the first game.

“We chose to partner with Activision on our next IP because of their global reach, multi-platform experience and marketing expertise,” said Harold Ryan, President of Bungie. “From working together over the past nine months on this agreement, it is clear that Activision supports our commitment to giving our fans the best possible gaming experiences.”

“Bungie is one of the premier studios in our industry and we are extremely pleased to have the opportunity to work with their talented team over the next decade,” stated Thomas Tippl, Chief Operating Officer of Activision Blizzard. “Bungie has developed some of the most compelling and successful games, multiplayer experiences and thriving fan communities, and this alliance underscores our long-standing commitment to foster the industry’s best creative talent. Our unprecedented partnership with Bungie will enable us to broaden our pipeline of exciting new games as we continue to strengthen our industry position and pursue long-term growth opportunities.”

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 04-29-10 at 08:29 AM.
Old 04-29-10, 08:31 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Re: Bungie turns to the Dark Side...partners with Activision with 10 year deal

Yay more Halo games.
Old 04-29-10, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So I assume not with Reach, but future Halo games will not be 360 exclusives? Or does Microsoft have some kinda contract with Bungie?
Old 04-29-10, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

MS owns Halo, not Bungie. After Reach, Bungie is done with Halo. If they do decide to stop back into that universe it will still be a MS exclusive. Any future Halo game will likely be done by a different studio. Activision is just getting exclusive rights to any *new* IP that Bungie comes up with. Therefore we won't see Activision bleed Halo dry like Tony Hawk and Guitar Hero.

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 04-29-10 at 08:57 AM.
Old 04-29-10, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Kedrix
So I assume not with Reach, but future Halo games will not be 360 exclusives? Or does Microsoft have some kinda contract with Bungie?
The article reads like future IPs from Bungie will be published by Activision (Activision will not be swallowing them up like they did Infinity Ward). This means Halo is still a Microsoft exclusive, but future franchises will not be.
Old 04-29-10, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our Next Big Thing now has a concrete path, leading from our studio to the platforms of our choosing.
Good...maybe...for PS3 owners.

...with Activision
Bad for everybody.
Old 04-29-10, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it's good. I mean, they are still going to be independent and Activision can promote any new IP the way the promote MW.

My guess is that Bungie will develop the games for the Xbox and will get help from Activision to port their games to the PS3 and/or Wii, so that may be not good if you don't own an Xbox.
Old 04-29-10, 09:21 AM

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Yeah, it's not Activision buying Bungie, so I'm not as worried. Still, Activision is pretty good at fucking up game franchises, so we'll have to see.
Old 04-29-10, 09:26 AM

Oh, no more Halo games. Instead the new franchise will be called Generic Space Marine Shooter: Now with Waggle™!.
Old 04-29-10, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,178 Likes on 4,207 Posts

I imagine this will be very similar to the deal where EA acquired Bioware. It didn't bring Mass Effect 2 to the PS3, but Dragon Age did.
Old 04-29-10, 09:55 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
Oh, no more Halo games. Instead the new franchise will be called Generic Space Marine Shooter: Now with Waggle™!.
After reading the responses, this is exactly what I thought. Bungie makes a Halo game that's not Halo. Instead of Master Chief who is the last Spartan; it's Dominant Boss who is the last Trojan.
Old 04-29-10, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
MS owns Halo, not Bungie. After Reach, Bungie is done with Halo. If they do decide to stop back into that universe it will still be a MS exclusive. Any future Halo game will likely be done by a different studio. Activision is just getting exclusive rights to any *new* IP that Bungie comes up with. Therefore we won't see Activision bleed Halo dry like Tony Hawk and Guitar Hero.
Well crap. I was looking forward to Halo Guitar Hero later this year.
Old 04-29-10, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Therefore we won't see Activision bleed Halo dry like Tony Hawk and Guitar Hero.
...and Call of Duty...and Spider-Man.
Old 04-29-10, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Doesn't matter what the franchise is, I will not be buying it. Kotick will not receive one more cent outta me...
Old 04-29-10, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Halo Rocks The 80s!
Old 04-29-10, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X
Doesn't matter what the franchise is, I will not be buying it. Kotick will not receive one more cent outta me...
Same here. As long as he's at the helm, I won't be buying anything published by Activision.
Old 04-29-10, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My first reaction was "Blargh Activision! Murder destroy noooooooo!" but then I realized that this has no effect on me whatsoever.
Old 04-29-10, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by chuckd21
My first reaction was "Blargh Activision! Murder destroy noooooooo!" but then I realized that this has no effect on me whatsoever.
Always go with your gut.
Old 04-29-10, 12:36 PM

Has Bungie made anything other than Halo games since the mid nineties?

And for some reason I find it somewhat humorous that this is happening while, I believe, Infinity Ward is suing the shit out of Activision?
Old 04-29-10, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
Killzone 2 came out last year.
Old 04-29-10, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by notkevinbacon
Has Bungie made anything other than Halo games since the mid nineties?

And for some reason I find it somewhat humorous that this is happening while, I believe, Infinity Ward is suing the shit out of Activision?
Yeah the article says they've been working on this deal for 9 months. No wonder why they had no problems firing the IW guys. They've probably been digging up dirt and stashing it for that long just for this occasion.

And no, Bungie hasn't made anything other than Halo for a decade, which is why they wanted to move on.
Old 04-29-10, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bungie will probably make the next Call of Duty.
Old 04-29-10, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The only question is: What will they call it?

Halo: Call of Duty?
Call of Duty: Halo?
Call of Duty Hero: Van Halo?
Old 04-29-10, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Comments on the game:

http://kotaku.com/5527333/bungies-gr...lo-action-game

But what's the game?

"This is a brand-new action game universe that we'll be working on," Jarrard told us today. "It's definitely not revisiting anything from our past."

And it'll be grand: "With the scale and ambition of what we hope to accomplish with our next universe — how bold we want it to be and how much time we want people to spend in our universe, and the types of stories we want to tell — it is going to take our best and brightest minds of our studio to make this vision a reality. It is going to take everything we have to pull this off."

As for the genre, Jarrard wouldn't bite on a question about whether it will or won't be a first-person shooter, a la Halo, other than to say: "Looking back on our pedigree we'll definitely be building on the strengths that have helped Bungie to get where we are today."

Initial "seed and discussions" for this new Bungie game/series date back a couple of years, Jarrard told us today. The early work has been overseen by top Bungie creator Jason Jones and has involved work from "a lot of the guys that were on the original core Halo Combat Evolved team."

Gamers can think of the game as being in the pre-production stage for now. It's percolating.
Activision and Bungie sealed their deal after about nine months of negotiation just this past week. The deal was announced today, Jarrard said, "because in this industry you can't keep this kind of thing under wraps." He acknowledged that the negative press Activision has received over its legal battles against the ousted creators of Modern Warfare 2 made the timing "not super-ideal." But the parties wanted to get the news out there, and in front of the publicity push for Halo: Reach, which launches early access to its high-profile multiplayer Xbox 360 beta today." Jarrard said he is confident Bungie has a great deal with Activision.

Deals like this lead to speculation about crossovers. One candidate of the Bungie-Activision arrangement would seem to be the online networking of Bungie's next game. Activision, of course, has World of Warcraft, arguably the most successful online games in history. That allows Bungie access to added expertise, Jarrard said, but Bungie will still have control of how its game operates on every level. "We definitely intend to continue to build on our pedigree for community and social engagement and the online aspects of all the games we built and that's certainly a big part of our future as well." Jarrard said he is excited about meddling Bungie's online know-how with Activision's.
Old 04-29-10, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Fandango
Bungie will probably make the next Call of Duty.
Call of Duty: Space Marine Waggle™ Combat

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.