Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Adam Sandler movies

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Adam Sandler movies

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-10, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Adam Sandler movies

What do you do think of his movies?

I think most of them are like comfort food. Most of them just click for me. I don't know why. They're not brilliant, they just work.
Old 04-28-10, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Re: Adam Sandler movies

Billy Madison and Happy Gilmore are classics. Big Daddy is very good. The rest range from meh to vomit.
Old 04-28-10, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 377 Likes on 236 Posts

There's only a few of his films I really enjoy. He's made a solid effort in taking on more serious roles, but few if any of those movies are among my favorites.
Old 04-28-10, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Madison, Gilmore, Wedding Singer are great.

Big Daddy is cute and has its moments

Waterboy, Little Nicky, Mr Deeds, 50 First Dates are horrible

Anger Management and Longest Yard are ok

Never saw Chuck and Larry or Zohan

Loved Funny People but dont consider it a Sandler movie.
Old 04-28-10, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't care for any of his films. Granted I've only seen 4 or 5. I'm sure he's a nice guy... I just don't find him funny at all.
Old 04-28-10, 02:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Billy Madison - grew up watching this, ridiculously quotable
Happy Gilmore - same as above, probably even funnier
Wedding Singer - funny, genuine and sweet. I dig this movie
Punch Drunk Love - his best film (by miles) and a wonderful movie
Funny People - didn't work for everyone, but I liked it... maybe his best individual performance and really, in a way, answers the question for me from the OP (career choices and public persona at least)

I really liked Adam Sandler when he was big in the early/mid 90s and I was 8-12 years old or so. I hated all the Chris Farley movies and other SNL cast movies, but for some reason I loved Sandler's early work. Still like some of his old CDs/stand up as well.

That being said... everything else I have seen with him in it (Mr. Deeds, Big Daddy, Bulletproof, Waterboy and half of 50 First Dates and Click) I loathed.

Will certainly check out Spanglish and Reign Over Me someday. I think he actually has potential as a serious actor and, so far, has shown that could be the case.
Old 04-28-10, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I like most of his stuff.
Old 04-28-10, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,192 Likes on 2,060 Posts

Most of Adam Sandler's comedies are unwatchable in my opinion. Billy Madison, Happy Gilmore, Little Nicky, and The Waterboy are the worst of his. With Little Nicky being his absolute worst.

About the only one of his comedies that I can sit through is 50 First Dates, and even then it's not an easy task.

I did like Funny People though.
Old 04-28-10, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Madison, Happy Gilmore, Wedding Singer, Big Daddy, Little Nicky and 50 first dates(I don't know why I just like it) and Chuck and Larry are great.

Waterboy, Mr Deeds, Longest Yard, Anger Management are ok.

I hated Zohan.

Enjoyed Funny People.
Old 04-28-10, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Looking at his imdb, I see more films that I've liked rather than not cared for. What is also surprising is that I have seen almost all of his movies (Spanglish being one exception, although I have seen bits and pieces over the years), and a few of them I not only really like, but I think he does fantastic work in (Punch-Drunk Love and Reign Over Me, for example).

The Good
Billy Madison
Happy Gilmore
Bulletproof
The Wedding Singer
The Waterboy
Big Daddy
Punch-Drunk Love
Mr. Deeds
Anger Management
Click
Reign Over Me
Bedtime Stories
Funny People
The Bad
Eight Crazy Nights
50 First Dates
The Longest Yard
The Ugly
Little Nicky
I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry
You Don't Mess with the Zohan

I even enjoy some of the Happy Madison productions, such as Grandma's Boy, The House Bunny, and Paul Blart: Mall Cop
Old 04-28-10, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

I've never seen an Adam Sandler film all the way through. I'd like to, especially his angrier comedies and I wish I'd seen them on the big screen. I saw a bit of BIG DADDY on cable and I liked the scene where he browbeats an upscale Washington Square townhouse owner into letting his kid in to use the bathroom. A real taste of not only class conflict, but an interesting expression of Jewish male rage as a subtext of the action. I'd like to know which of his films feature more of that expression.
Old 04-28-10, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Adam Sandler movies have definitely not held up well through the years. I used to be a big fan of his movies in the late 90's, and seeing them on Cable every once and a while, they are pretty lame nowadays. Happy Gilmore is the only one that holds up pretty well, as Bob Barker beating the crap out of him is funny as hell.
Old 04-28-10, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rectal cancer is funnier than Adam Sandler. Only seen Funny People all the way through & he was the only bad thing about it.
Old 04-28-10, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Adam Sandler is the same intolerable character in all his movies. He whines, hurts himself, then mumbles incoherently in an angry tone, and shouts for a bit. I have never been able to finish any of his films, save Airheads or Mixed Nuts.
Old 04-29-10, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I find Happy Gilmore to be his best and easily the most rewatchable. It is perfect, IMO, and never gets old.

Billy Madison is pretty good but I wouldn't go out of my way to see it again. Same for Bulletproof, The Waterboy and I Now Pronounce (although Kevin James was far better in the movie).

I find The Wedding Singer and Big Daddy quite boring.

Anger Management is good only for Jack Nicholson but it is overlong in the last 20 or so minutes and that really killed the momentum the film had.

He's quite good in Punch Drunk Love but I'd watch anything done by PTA no matter the actors.

I haven't seen anything else from Sandler where he's a major player.

Last edited by conscience; 04-29-10 at 07:16 AM.
Old 04-29-10, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Happy Gilmore is in my top 10 of all time list.. Billy madison, Big daddy are also rewatchable many many times over.

I also really like the Waterboy.
Old 04-29-10, 07:17 AM

He can be hit or miss I think

For me, his hits were

Happy Gilmore
The Wedding Singer
Mr. Deeds
50 First Dates
Click

Most of the others were tolerable. Though I must be the only one so far that didn't like Billy Madison at all.
Old 04-29-10, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

I generally hate Adam Sandler movies but LOVE Punch Drunk Love.
Old 04-29-10, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemmy
I think that Grandma's Boy (Sandler-produced) is one of the funniest pot movies ever, and an excellent comedy overall;
Grandma's Boy is an absolute blast and even though Sandler is not in it, its probably close to his best work, if not the best.
Old 04-29-10, 09:14 AM

It's funny, for a lot of the people here who HATE him and think his movie's are hackneyed bullshit (and a lot are) you should check out Funny People, that is, if you haven't already. He doesn't play a very likable, sympathetic character and his career in the movie reflects his actual career in life. The movie is somewhat poignant at times when focusing on him (well, then the ridiculous 3rd act arrives).

But... I can also see where the movie comes off as a somewhat pretentious mess, though I think that is more of Apatow's fault. I'm not sure the movie would convince anyone to become a Sandler fan, but it's a solid watch and *maybe* you will get some insight on the life Adam Sandler (which we were all clamoring for). It pretty openly makes fun of his career choices, whether there were self imposed or not.
Old 04-29-10, 09:27 AM

i really liked billy madison and happy gilmore when they were "new" movies. when i watch them now, i start to cringe.

the most recent movie of his i saw was funny people, which i liked. but i liked it because his character wasn't likable (as notkevinbacon mentions) and i liked the other cast members more.
Old 04-29-10, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Happy Gilmore and Billy Madison were my high school crack, and I can quote both with alarming precision. I'd put The Waterboy close to the top of that comedy list.

The rest of his comedies range from mediocre to unwatchable.

Punch Drunk Love and Funny People are both brilliant. I think they are his best work as an actor.
Old 04-29-10, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

AIRHEADS is rad...but i'm not sure if most people consider that an "adam sandler movie"
Old 04-29-10, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Noooo! So much hate for Zohan! I LOVE that movie! It was the first GOOD 'new style' (bad CG, scene that really go past believability) Adam Sander movie.
Old 04-29-10, 11:56 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Happy Gilmore and Billy Madison were my high school crack, and I can quote both with alarming precision. I'd put The Waterboy close to the top of that comedy list.

The rest of his comedies range from mediocre to unwatchable.

Punch Drunk Love and Funny People are both brilliant. I think they are his best work as an actor.
This.

Also I'm not a "fan" of his work per se but I enjoy Happy Gilmore the most beyond those 2. Waterboy is another one. Everything else just annoys me. Big Daddy got annoying as I aged. Mr. Deeds is boring. etc etc. I've never liked Billy Madison.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.