Amazon.UK Box Set Sales: Woody Allen & Marilyn Monroe

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Old 04-28-10, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 122 Likes on 96 Posts

Found a couple really good box set sales on Amazon.UK
The Woody Allen Collection - Vol. 1 Annie Hall/Bananas/Everything You Always Wanted To Know About Sex/Love and Death/Manhattan/Sleeper

Missing 2 films that are in the US box Volume 1 (Interiors & Stardust Memories), but still a killer deal.
$18.80 delivered to the USA

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Woody-Allen-...2436010&sr=8-3

Complete Marilyn Monroe Collection - 17 dvd set (Fox)
$34.62 delivered to the USA.

Actually not complete (missing about half of (mostly) her minor films), but again a great deal. Major missing films are Clash By Night, Prince & The Showgirl & The Asphalt Jungle.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Mar...2436044&sr=8-1

Last edited by MooMooMooMoo; 04-28-10 at 01:50 AM.
Old 04-28-10, 04:54 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Amazon.UK Box Set Sales: Woody Allen & Marilyn Monroe

Many other box sets are on sale.

Put a dot on either side of "amazon":

www amazon co.uk/gp/feature.html/ref=amb_link_156878007_13?ie=UTF8&ie=UTF8&docId=1000389543
Old 04-28-10, 10:09 AM

Here's hoping Amazon US has a similar sale! (The Woody Allen set is PAL, so I assume the others are as well - and I would need a PAL player in the US?)
Old 04-28-10, 12:07 PM

No, a PAL player is not necessary, any cracked US DVD player will play Region 2 DVDs regardless if they are PAL or not. I'm currently watching the Fassbinder collection purchased from Amazon.uk which is Region 2 and PAL and often purchase German DVDs when I am visiting family in Germany or Switzerland. I use a simple cracked Philips DVD player from Costco, and a regular US Sony Television set. I've never understood the technicalities of playing NTSC or PAL DVDs on US NTSC televisions, but apparently with DVDs the issue is moot. Having lived overseas, I understand that US televisions can not receive the PAL signal over the air, but when it comes to playing DVDs, that does not apply. So buy all the PAL DVDs you want, there will be no problem viewing them provided your DVD player can handle Region 2 DVDs.
Old 04-28-10, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mr Articulate
Here's hoping Amazon US has a similar sale! (The Woody Allen set is PAL, so I assume the others are as well - and I would need a PAL player in the US?)
Almost any player you can make Region-free with a "remote hack" will be able to convert PAL for your television. I don't know about these days, but some of the hacked players sold as by second-party vendors required an external PAL converter - my first Region-free player was one such.

And here's what I posted recently in the International forum:
If you're uncomfortable ordering a player online, you can get a Philips 3982 from Walmart for around $45. It plays Divx, Xvid, and wmv files, does upscaling and progressive scan, and handles PAL just fine. It becomes region-free with a few seconds work with a remote - that's how most "hacks" offered by online merchants are done these days.

For an extra $15, you can pick up a Philips 5990 from Best Buy. All the features of the above plus a USB 2.0 port to play files from a flashdrive or external HDD.

And I'd recommend anyone in the market for a region-free player to poke around videohelp.com first. You may already own one.
Old 04-28-10, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Preterite, are there any codes to make a Panasonic BD-60 Blu Ray player region free? You can PM me if you don't want to post it here. Thanks.
Old 04-28-10, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho
Preterite, are there any codes to make a Panasonic BD-60 Blu Ray player region free? You can PM me if you don't want to post it here. Thanks.
As stated in the International Forum quote, videohelp.com is where you want to check. Click on the "DVD Hacks" link on the left hand side and it'll give you a field to search by model number. Here's the entry for your player:

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks/pa...dmp-bd60/10033
Old 04-28-10, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

3 unused DVD players in the house and none have an available hack. There is one for my new Oppo BD-83 but I'm not sure I want to mess with it.
Old 04-28-10, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 122 Likes on 96 Posts

Philips is usually a safe & cheap bet for handset hacks.
Old 04-29-10, 02:12 PM

JWSTL, go ahead and punch the codes into your OPPO. I've done the same to mine with no negative issues to report. Its just a software change, equivalent to changing the font on your computer.
Old 04-30-10, 05:31 AM

Thanks for the heads up. I just bought the Marilyn boxset which I think is a great deal for such a good cross section of all her movies.