Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Planet Earth Blu-ray set UK vs US version question

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-10, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Planet Earth DVD set had "making of" features after each episode that were NOT included on the US Blu-ray version of the set.

From the DVD Talk Review:

The only disappointing thing about this lovely set is the lack of bonus features. Like the HD DVD version, this Blu-ray set has no added content. The SD DVD set includes a 10-minute behind the scenes short for each episode which is missing from this BD set. Standard def DVD buyers also get a fifth disc which includes three full length documentaries that act as an epilog to the series. That is nowhere to be seen in this BD set.
My understanding is that these extras are included on the UK set but are presented in SD only. I have read conflicting statements about the fact that this SD content is NOT region-free. So my questions are:

1) Is the additional content that is found only on the DVDs in the US included on the UK set?
2) If it is present, it is only presented in SD? (not a deal-breaker)
3) Can this content be played on a standard Blu-ray player or is it region-coded for region B only?

Thanks in advance for your assistance!
Old 04-27-10, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Re: Planet Earth Blu-ray set UK vs US version question

Forget the features, the only deal breaker should be Sir David Attenborough, and in that case the choice is clear.

That aside, IIRC, the UK episodes are longer than the US versions, so despite lacking the 10 minute "behind-the-scenes" stuff, you are getting more actual footage in each episode.

This is what wiki has to say:
The series was released in both Blu-Ray and HD DVD formats as a five-disc Region B box set on 12 November 2007. On the fifth disc, the bonus features from the standard-definition DVD set were replaced by two episodes from the BBC's Natural World series, "Desert Lions" and "Snow Leopard: Beyond the Myth", both also presented in high-definition

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 04-27-10 at 02:44 PM.
Old 04-27-10, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Forget the features, the only deal breaker should be Sir David Attenborough, and in that case the choice is clear.
That is all well and good, and that much I knew as I've seen the entire thing on the BBC US DVD set. I really want those additional features. Without them, I'd just assume Netflix the DVDs again even if they are slightly edited down.
Old 04-27-10, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin

That aside, IIRC, the UK episodes are longer than the US versions, so despite lacking the 10 minute "behind-the-scenes" stuff, you are getting more actual footage in each episode.

This is what wiki has to say:
Pretty sure the OP is talking about the UK vs. US Blu-ray releases of the Attenborough version not the UK vs. US versions of Planet Earth.
Old 04-28-10, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Kory
Pretty sure the OP is talking about the UK vs. US Blu-ray releases of the Attenborough version not the UK vs. US versions of Planet Earth.
Correct. The Sigourney Weaver version was never a consideration.
Old 04-28-10, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rfduncan

1) Is the additional content that is found only on the DVDs in the US included on the UK set?

No, the special features from the DVD set is not included on any BD release. There is a 5th disc though that contains: Natural World - Desert Lions and
Snow Leopards.

2) If it is present, it is only presented in SD? (not a deal-breaker)

Not present as mentioned above, but all 5 discs are in HD.

3) Can this content be played on a standard Blu-ray player or is it region-coded for region B only?

It is region coded ABC and playable on any BD player.

Thanks in advance for your assistance!