Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

TV SHOW SETS: DVD or BD?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-10, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TV SHOW SETS: DVD or BD?

I really like my favorite tv shows on dvd specifically Warner produced tv series. Question on the extras aspect, does the Blu Ray discs contains more extras than the DVD (Like FRINGE)? I'm concerned with Warner's lame move lately to hold exclusively the extras on BD on their feature films.

Are there growing instances for tv series dvd sets to give out extras on BD exclusively?

Old 04-25-10, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: TV SHOW SETS: DVD or BD

Here we go again...yet another thread of whining about Blu-Ray having more features than DVD.
Old 04-25-10, 11:05 AM

I try to focus on collecting the shows that are on blu-ray and collect those. When I catch up I try and collect the shows on DVD that I think won't come out on blu-ray. Even though in my wishlist there are a ton of dvd on tv that i need to collect that are on DVD. The special features don't bother me as long as the blu-ray video and sound look great. So any tv show that I have collected on blu-ray has had the same features as the dvd.
Old 04-25-10, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts
Re: TV SHOW SETS: DVD or BD?

Here's my $0.02... If you want the best picture and sound, then buy the Blu-Ray.. If the extras are only available on DVD and that is more important than picture and sound, then buy the DVD... If you cannot decide and all of the above is important, then buy both.
Old 04-25-10, 01:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by calhoun07
Here we go again...yet another thread of whining about Blu-Ray having more features than DVD.
And it will NEVER end!
Old 04-25-10, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Here we go again...yet another thread of people whining about people comparing extras on dvds to extras on blue rays, but offering no useful information on the topic whatsoever.

If I want to get a season set, I will buy it on blue ray if I think it is cheap enough, as we all know they are still vastly overcharging for blue rays. If not, I go with the dvd version.
Old 04-25-10, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jjcool
Here we go again...yet another thread of people whining about people comparing extras on dvds to extras on blue rays, but offering no useful information on the topic whatsoever.

If I want to get a season set, I will buy it on blue ray if I think it is cheap enough, as we all know they are still vastly overcharging for blue rays. If not, I go with the dvd version.
Blu-ray.
Old 04-25-10, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by b2net
Here's my $0.02... If you want the best picture and sound, then buy the Blu-Ray.. If the extras are only available on DVD and that is more important than picture and sound, then buy the DVD... If you cannot decide and all of the above is important, then buy both.
I'd still say go with the BD for picture and sound over extras. You can always Netflix the DVDs and watch the extras if you are dying to see them. They are typically a one time watch anyway.
Old 04-25-10, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Most of the shows that I want to own are only available on DVD. As it stands, the only show I own on BD is South Park.
Old 04-25-10, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
Blu-ray.
Thanks for proving my point.
Old 04-25-10, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I usually base the decision on three factors: 1) price, 2) exclusive bonus features and 3) if the show really needs to be on Blu-Ray. For example there are Blu-ray releases of a lot of television shows (specifically "The Sopranos" and "How I met your Mother") that were either filmed in an HD-unfriendly way or just don't need to have that high of definition.
Old 04-26-10, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by critterdvd
I usually base the decision on three factors: 1) price, 2) exclusive bonus features and 3) if the show really needs to be on Blu-Ray. For example there are Blu-ray releases of a lot of television shows (specifically "The Sopranos" and "How I met your Mother") that were either filmed in an HD-unfriendly way or just don't need to have that high of definition.
And yet the BD is only $5 more* than SD, why not go for the better pic/audio quality version? And how exactly is it "filmed in an HD-unfriendly way?" The BDs look great.

*at least on release day it was(Amazon is showing a $14 difference right now) DVD prices drop like crazy while BD seem hold their value.
Old 04-26-10, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My approach is similar to Critter's but I add another factor. If I have already started collecting a series on DVD (South Park, for example), I'll continue buying it on DVD for now, unless the Studios start to give some kind of fantastic upgrade deal. If I'm just starting to collect a series (True Blood, Mad Men for example), I'll start on BluRay.
Old 04-26-10, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

I'm watching Dollhouse on blu-ray and sure the picture and sound is alot better than dvd but they fail to put a booklet within the case so I have to get on the internet to find out how many episodes there were for season 1 because you aren't going to find out with the blu-rays unless you put each disc in the player and count them that way. Very stupid and very cheap on the blu-ray manufacturers.
Old 04-26-10, 03:37 PM

Location: The Nova Catacumba Exhibition Center on Estrella De Tiago, an Asteroid orbiting the Moon.

Right now I am still content with DVD, and as long as my VCRs are able to play I see no reason to replace those Movies and TV Shows on VHS. There is nothing being offered on Blu-Ray only that interests me, and AFAIC "If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It!"
Old 04-26-10, 03:41 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

From now on...Blu-Ray. Will I convert my TV on DVD to Blu-Ray, probably not. The only TV on DVD that I may convert is Battlestar Galactica.
Old 04-26-10, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Doc Moonlight
My approach is similar to Critter's but I add another factor. If I have already started collecting a series on DVD (South Park, for example), I'll continue buying it on DVD for now, unless the Studios start to give some kind of fantastic upgrade deal. If I'm just starting to collect a series (True Blood, Mad Men for example), I'll start on BluRay.
I thought about that scenario as well. But I decided not to go that route. If I can find the blue ray for cheap enough, I will go that route even if I own previous seasons on dvd. I am trying to slowly move my dvd buying over to blue ray. I will spend slightly more for a blue ray version, but not some of these crazy prices that we seem to be seeing more often.
Old 04-26-10, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I always go Blu if possible. The only time I made an exception was just after Christmas when I found the latest seasons of 24 and The Office for a ridiculously low price on DVD. They were about 1/4 of the Blu-ray price and I couldn't pass on them. Other than that, I always go Blu whenever possible.