Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Batman: Under the Red Hood ---> Summer 2010

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-10, 10:37 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DC's next animated feature.

<object classid='clsid27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000' id='r8411vbt' width='596' height='425'><param name='movie' value='http://images.video.msn.com/flash/customplayer/1_0/customplayer.swf' /><param name='bgcolor' value='#ffffff' /><param name='wmode' value='transparent' /><param name='base' value='.' /><param name='flashvars' value='configName=syndicationplayer&from=sp&player.v=c9358acd-5576-4f1f-9034-f061a3294951&brand=&configCsid=msnvideo&mkt=en-us&fg=shareEmbed&' /><param name='allowFullScreen' value='true' /><param name='allowScriptAccess' value='always' /><embed src="http://images.video.msn.com/flash/customplayer/1_0/customplayer.swf" width="596" height="425" id="r8411vbt" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" bgColor="#ffffff" wmode="transparent" pluginspage="http://macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" base="." flashvars="configName=syndicationplayer&from=sp&player.v=c9358acd-5576-4f1f-9034-f061a3294951&brand=&configCsid=msnvideo&mkt=en-us&fg=shareEmbed&"></embed><noembed>Video: Exclusive: 'Batman: Under the Red Hood' trailer</noembed></object>

http://warnervideo.com/batmanredhood/
Old 04-24-10, 10:42 AM
Banned

Re: Batman: Under the Red Hood ---> Summer 2010

By the way, this is going to include a DC Showcase: Jonah Hex short.
Old 04-24-10, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I saw a "First Look" feature on Justice League:Crisis on Two Earths (which wasn't that good).

This is supposed to begin with "A Death in the Family" and continue from there.
Old 04-24-10, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks
This is supposed to begin with "A Death in the Family" and continue from there.
This intrigues me greatly.
Old 04-24-10, 03:25 PM
Banned

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9FNp3xdXsbY&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9FNp3xdXsbY&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/I8vkC-IxzA0&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/I8vkC-IxzA0&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 04-24-10, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Damn, if Judd Winnick had anything to do with this feature that is enough to keep me far away from it. His Batman work (like all his comic book work) is dreadful (I know people love him, you don't have to post so & so was a great comic).
Old 04-24-10, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Looked up the entire background of the diferent "RedHoods" on the internet, really looking forward to seeing the direction they go with this RedHood.

Would love to see this tie into other Animated Movies from DC in the future. That was the plans for the RedHood before one of the Batman comics was canceled.
Old 04-24-10, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

The DC animated movies have been hit and miss to me, but I'm a big Batman fan so I'll probably try this out. I wish that Conroy was doing the voice though still.
Old 04-26-10, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

I'm a Conroy fanboy but I'm really digging what I hear with Greenwood as the voice.

Although I'm skeptical as to how John Di Maggio will sound as the Joker (he always sounds like Bender to me), I'm anxious to hear Jason Isaacs' take on Ra's al Ghul.

Last edited by RocShemp; 04-26-10 at 07:56 AM.
Old 04-27-10, 03:23 PM
Banned

Official Press Release

BURBANK, CA – Batman confronts new enemies, old foes and painful memories when a powerful vigilante with a penchant for violence comes to Gotham City in the intense graphic-novel-come-to-life Batman: Under the Red Hood, the next entry in the popular ongoing series of DC UNIVERSE Animated Original PG-13 Movies coming July 27, 2010 from Warner Premiere, DC Entertainment and Warner Bros. Animation. The full-length film will be distributed by Warner Home Video as a Special Edition version on Blu-Ray™ and 2 disc DVD for $29.99 (SRP) and $24.98 (SRP), respectively, as well as single disc DVD for $19.98 (SRP). The film will also be available On Demand and for Download.

The stellar voice cast has Bruce Greenwood (Captain Pike in the 2009 blockbuster Star Trek) donning the famed cowl as the voice of Batman. Supernatural star Jensen Ackles is Red Hood, and Neil Patrick Harris (How I Met Your Mother) voices Nightwing. John DiMaggio (Futurama) and Jason Issacs (the Harry Potter films) round out the main cast as The Joker and Ra’s Al Ghul, respectively.

Batman: Under the Red Hood is scripted by award-winning comics writer Judd Winick and based on his popular 2005 comics storyline and subsequent comics graphic novel of the same name. Animation guru Bruce Timm returns as executive producer, as he has for all eight DC Universe animated original movies. Director is Brandon Vietti, who served as co-director of Superman Doomsday and was responsible for the first one-third of that film, including the fatal battle between the two title characters.

In Batman: Under the Red Hood, Batman faces his ultimate challenge as the mysterious Red Hood takes Gotham City by firestorm. One part vigilante, one part criminal kingpin, Red Hood begins cleaning up Gotham with the efficiency of Batman, but without following the same ethical code. Killing is an option. And when The Joker falls in the balance between the two, hard truths are revealed and old wounds are reopened.

Fans will be treated to an incredible package of DC Universe storytelling as the Special Edition Blu-Ray and 2-Disc Special Edition DVD include the second animated short in the all-new DC Showcase series – which features the popular DC Comics character, Jonah Hex. The short is scripted by renowned author Joe Lansdale and stars the voices of Thomas Jane (Hung), Linda Hamilton (The Terminator), Michelle Trachtenberg (Mercy, Buffy the Vampire Slayer) and Michael Rooker (Days of Thunder).

Batman: Under the Red Hood - 2 Disc Special Edition DVD will have more than two hours of fascinating bonus features, including:

* Featurette – Robin’s Story – It was decided it was time to add a fresh face into the story mix, which turned out to be Dick Grayson, aka Robin. This is the story of Dick Grayson and how he transformed into Robin, with Batman as his father-figure role model.
* Extended Sneak Peek at the next DC UNIVERSE Animated Original PG-13 Movie.
* Widescreen (1.78:1)
* Two title-themed episodes from of Warner Bros. Animation’s 20-year history of Batman television series, hand-picked by animation legend Bruce Timm.

Batman: Under the Red Hood Special Edition Blu-Ray will have more than three hours of bonus materials, including all the great extras from the 2-disc Special Edition DVD as well as:

* Featurette: Death in the House of Batman – The story of how DC Comics heard the fans’ cry that the new Robin was not going to fit the cape, and how the Boy Wonder was scheduled to die.
* Two additional bonus Batman-themed episodes personally selected by Bruce Timm
* Digital copy

“Batman: Under the Red Hood is another terrific entry in the groundbreaking series of DC Universe animated movies, a shining representation of the adult storytelling that comics-turned-to-film has to offer, and further evidence of the combined creative power within the collaboration of DC Entertainment, Warner Premiere, Warner Bros. Animation and Warner Home Video,” said Matt Bierman, Senior Vice President Production, Warner Premiere.

“Judd Winick's and Doug Mahnke's story of a Robin gone wrong introduced Batman's most personal enemy to date. It's unbelievably cool to see it brought to life like this," said Geoff Johns, Chief Creative Officer of DC Entertainment.

“With each exciting new chapter of the DC UNIVERSE films, fans have come to expect more – and Batman: Under the Red Hood delivers with an action-packed tale of mystery and emotional struggle brought to animated life by an outstanding filmmaking crew and voiced by the all-star talents of Bruce Greenwood, Jensen Ackles, Neil Patrick Harris and John Dimaggio,” said Amit Desai, WHV Vice President of Family, Animation & Partner Brand Marketing.

“In his feature length solo directorial debut, Brandon Vietti has brought this dark, psychological thriller to the screen with all the action and emotion of a great Batman story,” said Sam Register, Executive Vice President, Warner Bros. Animation. “
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=25972
Old 04-27-10, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

Does the DC Universe have any superheroes besides Batman and Superman? Continue with Green Lantern and Wonder Woman animated features and try something new for once with The Flash or Green Arrow or Aquaman. Batman and Superman are getting old fast. If the other superheroes aren't popular its because the market is flooded with Batman and Superman.
Old 04-27-10, 06:17 PM
TRC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life
Does the DC Universe have any superheroes besides Batman and Superman?
Yes but none that sell as well.

From an interview with Bruce Timm:

Are there plans to do any more sequels for the recently released DC animated films?

We had originally planned to do sequels for Wonder Woman and Green Lantern, but Wonder Woman’s sales started out extremely slow and then over time were eventually able to catch up to probably Justice League Frontier. The Exec’s decided because it wasn’t able to sell quickly right away, where as Justice League was, that there wouldn’t be any more female super hero films right now. We were developing and hoping to get started on a batgirl film based on Year One, but because of Wonder Woman’s slow sales start, that won’t be happening now.

With Green Lantern, it didn’t perform nearly as well as what they had hoped it would. In the long run it eventually made its money back, but the sales weren’t there right away during its release. Hopefully with the release of the Live Action film next year, that will open up the doors for more Green Lantern relate material.

Are there any current plans for an ‘Aqua man’ animated film?

No. We did developed an Aqua man script for a direct to video movie. Marketing decided it wasn’t going to be profitable enough to release.

The comic book needs to be wiped clean and have a re-boot once a year, they’re not able to keep the fan base interested any longer then that.
Old 04-27-10, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

How about these for animated movies:
Superboy
Superboy and Legion of Superheroes
Superboy and Legion of Superheroes vs Teen Titans
Superfriends vs Legion of Doom
Brave and the Bold-Hawkman & The Flash
Plastic Man and Elongated Man
Brave and the Bold-Green Lantern & Green Arrow
Brave and the Bold-Batman & The Flash vs Mr. Freeze and Capt. Cold
Old 04-27-10, 08:38 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

No lossless audio because Warner has seemingly instituded a "no lossless" policy for their animated, DTV and TV titles (recently discussed in a online chat).
Old 04-27-10, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

DC screwed themselves by not releasing the Green Lantern nowhere close to the live action movie. If they would've waited another year to release it, they would've sold it like gangbusters.
Old 04-27-10, 11:09 PM
Banned

I think the problem is the same Lionsgate/Marvel have had: they are releasing mediocre animated films. There are some exceptions, but many of this films have just been mediocre. I don't understand why they feel they need to do them as 90 minutes features. I don't understand why can't they keep the same/best voice actors (Conroy/Hamill/etc). I don't understand why the feel that these characters and films have to be disconnected to one another. Animation is the perfect medium to bring comic books to live. Why don't they do a series of films where the characters share the same world/continuity? They can still bring the storylines they want to adapt from comic books, but at the same time keep a long continuity. None of these animated features have come close to the quality of the Timm/Dini DC animated universe. Why can't they continue Justice League Unlimited as a series of films. JLU has already a established fanbase that would eat anything that continues this animated universe.
Old 04-28-10, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life
How about these for animated movies:
Superboy
Superboy and Legion of Superheroes
Superboy and Legion of Superheroes vs Teen Titans
Superfriends vs Legion of Doom
Brave and the Bold-Hawkman & The Flash
Plastic Man and Elongated Man
Brave and the Bold-Green Lantern & Green Arrow
Brave and the Bold-Batman & The Flash vs Mr. Freeze and Capt. Cold
"Superboy and Legion of Superheroes" from the time Mike Grell was
doing the art (1970's).
-Fatal Five
-Time Trapper
-Etc
Old 04-28-10, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dx23
I think the problem is the same Lionsgate/Marvel have had: they are releasing mediocre animated films. There are some exceptions, but many of this films have just been mediocre. I don't understand why they feel they need to do them as 90 minutes features. I don't understand why can't they keep the same/best voice actors (Conroy/Hamill/etc). I don't understand why the feel that these characters and films have to be disconnected to one another. Animation is the perfect medium to bring comic books to live. Why don't they do a series of films where the characters share the same world/continuity? They can still bring the storylines they want to adapt from comic books, but at the same time keep a long continuity. None of these animated features have come close to the quality of the Timm/Dini DC animated universe. Why can't they continue Justice League Unlimited as a series of films. JLU has already a established fanbase that would eat anything that continues this animated universe.
I totally agree with you. Some of these movies have been enjoyable but why they feel the need to separate them from franchises that are already well-established is beyond me. I'd be much more interested in this release if it was linked to Batman: The Animated Series. It just seems awkward to have all these different stories that are all their own separate thing and don't have any involvement with one another. The constant changing of voice actors also needs to stop. Kevin Conroy is the voice of Batman to me and Mark Hamill is the perfect Joker. Same thing applies for Superman, Lex Luthor, and etc., unless the voice actors are unable or unwilling I don't see the point in changing them. The new guy who voices Batman is alright but definitely not even close to as good as Conroy. I really wish WB Premiere would re-think this line.

Last edited by Mike86; 04-28-10 at 03:28 PM.
Old 04-28-10, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I'd imagine it's like comic books with stand alone stories, where different writers or directors are interested in doing something new and different and not be constrained to the world from Batman and Justice League.
Old 04-28-10, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I'd imagine it's like comic books with stand alone stories, where different writers or directors are interested in doing something new and different and not be constrained to the world from Batman and Justice League.
Meh. I can see that I guess, but even so it just seems like this line could be so much better than it is if it followed the already established franchises. I mean you don't get much better than the DC Animated universe. Batman: The Animated Series in my (and many others) opinion is one of the greatest super hero adaptations ever. Why they would feel the need to branch off into something different just seems weird to me. Especially given the fact that I think some of the people involved in that series have done some of these movies.
Old 04-28-10, 05:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fumanstan
That doesn't seem to be working though, according to the WB numbers. Also, those stories are usually 2-12 issues long. For some reason, WB seems intent in putting a time constraint of 90 minutes to all their animated films. Again, by the numbers reflecting their sales, it seems that not to many are pleased with their efforts.
Old 04-28-10, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

The time constraints are a direct reflection of the low production budgets afforded them by Warner. Animation of this type costs a certain dollar amount per minute, and the creative personnel are handicapped in this regard by the accountants. You get a sense watching them that the marketing people at Warner making the final decisions have obviously no familiarity with the superheroes or knowledge of the customers who buy them, and are strictly business people going off sales projections and demographics.

Warner's corporate structure has always handicapped their exploitation of DC Comics' properties in media to the detriment of everything except for the occasional blockbuster. They have no overall philosophy or plan in place, and each business unit handles their own small piece of the pie.
Old 04-28-10, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,879 Likes on 1,237 Posts

WB seems intent in putting a time constraint of 90 minutes to all their animated films.
Closer to 60-70 minutes, for better or worse. :-/
Old 04-28-10, 09:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
The time constraints are a direct reflection of the low production budgets afforded them by Warner. Animation of this type costs a certain dollar amount per minute, and the creative personnel are handicapped in this regard by the accountants. You get a sense watching them that the marketing people at Warner making the final decisions have obviously no familiarity with the superheroes or knowledge of the customers who buy them, and are strictly business people going off sales projections and demographics.

Warner's corporate structure has always handicapped their exploitation of DC Comics' properties in media to the detriment of everything except for the occasional blockbuster. They have no overall philosophy or plan in place, and each business unit handles their own small piece of the pie.
Well, that short term thinking is what led them back in the 90's to do the shitfests Steel and Batman and Robin. I know animation can be expensive, but not as much as live-action film. When they have done it right (Batman - Mask of the Phantasm, Batman Beyond - Return of the Joker) , they have made money. WB recently restructured DC Comics where now guys like Jim Lee are on the top of the ladder. Why not hire him as a consultant?
Old 04-28-10, 09:33 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, that short term thinking is what led them back in the 90's to do the shitfests Steel and Batman and Robin. I know animation can be expensive, but not as much as live-action film. When they have done it right (Batman - Mask of the Phantasm, Batman Beyond - Return of the Joker) , they have made money. WB recently restructured DC Comics where now guys like Jim Lee are on the top of the ladder. Why not hire him as a consultant?
Actually Mask of The Phantasm wasn't a hit at the theaters. It grew a shit ton on video though.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.