Search this Thread

Old 04-22-10, 05:17 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
The Office -- "Secretary's Day" -- 04/22/10

The Office

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Andy goes to extremes to make sure Erin has a very special Secretary's Day. But it all could backfire thanks to Michael, who informs Erin about Andy's past relationship with Angela. Meanwhile, Oscar creates a viral video that highlights similarities between Kevin's voice and Cookie Monster's voice.
Old 04-22-10, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Office -- "Secretary's Day" -- 04/22/10

"C is for Suspension"
Old 04-22-10, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts

Merideth has some of the funniest moments ever on this show.
Old 04-22-10, 08:28 PM

im not liking the direction of Erin's character.

LOL @ kevin's impression!
Old 04-22-10, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah that Meredith scene was too much. I couldn't stop laughing.

The entire bit about Kevin sounding like Cookie Monster was inspired. Then to hear them all try their hand a a Kevin/Cookie Monster impression, truly funny stuff.

Dwight sincerely applauding and getting in trouble was great.

I loved how Gabe tried to get an apology even after he made a mistake. Jim and Pam taking advantage of his mistake to get two days off, with pay, was priceless.

When Erin was 7 her favourite month was April, lol. Her meltdown was great too. That's the type of awkward and uncomfortable that The Office does so well...

Michael was surprisingly toned-down and effective this episode. I like when we see this side of him, where he shows a softer, more caring side.
Old 04-22-10, 08:33 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts

"It's a novelization of Precious: Based on the novel Push by Sapphire"
Old 04-22-10, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

"In my foster home, my hair was my room." :LOL:

Overall an ok episode, I'd say.
Old 04-22-10, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by Drav3n
im not liking the direction of Erin's character.
I agree. I didn't like the meltdown, and I while I enjoyed the scene with Pam, I didn't like that she was clueless about what Pam was getting at.
Old 04-22-10, 10:03 PM

Loved the stuff with Kevin and the Cookie Monster. Liked Pam and the Breast Pump too. Pretty good episode though I was suprised on how cold Micheal was taking Erin to Lunch. I did like Erins Melt down when she covered her face with her hair. I also liked her throwing the cake at Andys face.
Old 04-22-10, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I agree. I didn't like the meltdown, and I while I enjoyed the scene with Pam, I didn't like that she was clueless about what Pam was getting at.
Erin is clueless about everything, so it makes perfect sense that she wouldn't have any idea what Pam's point was.
Old 04-22-10, 11:02 PM

I thought the whole thing with Michael not getting along with Erin was already done in Scott's Tots. I flipped between this and the draft so missed some parts but I didn't think this episode was that good. I get annoyed how the staff acts insubordinate pretty regularly now.
Old 04-22-10, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 348 Likes on 267 Posts

The "I'll have what she's having" line was still funny as ever.
Old 04-23-10, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

I seem to remember Michael liking Erin when she started working there because she kind of encouraged some of his behavior, so it seemed odd to me.
Old 04-23-10, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I must be the odd man out. I thought this was one of the greatest episodes of all time. The whole cookie monster storyline, Andy's good intentions ending with a cake to the face, Erin's dark side, Angela getting snubbed in the meeting, Gabe overextending his authority ending with a day off for Pam and Jim, Michael's secret keeping ability, I could go on and on...
Old 04-23-10, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by MLBFan24
Great line - at just the right time!! I liked this episode a lot.

Michael calls Erin a "rube" to Andy.
Old 04-23-10, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought Jim and Pam seemed out of character to blatantly make fun of Kevin right in front of him. They both seem like they are above that. I thought this episode truly showed us how messed up and dumb Erin actually is. I think we have been given small hints all along, but I always thought that she was just a little naive. Three examples I can think about are, She thought Kelly was "The coolest because she buys all her clothes at the mall", she thought that Andy "was a playboy", and her first kiss with Andy was at the dump. Now when I originally saw that scene I thought it was kind of cute, since they are both kind of dumb in terms of relationships and it was fitting that their first kiss was in an awkward location like the dump. Then there was the whole creepy step brother grabbing her leg. Maybe she really is extremely unintelligent to the point to not understand what her step brother was doing to her. The writers have effectively made me think that she is the craziest one in the office, as of right now.
Old 04-23-10, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by whoopdido
Erin is clueless about everything, so it makes perfect sense that she wouldn't have any idea what Pam's point was.
See, up until now I would have described her as naive, not clueless. Big difference. Now she's a vindictive unstable moron apparently.
Old 04-23-10, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by whoopdido
I've hated Erin from the start and thought she was an idiot, so I'm glad the rest of you are starting to see that.
Old 04-23-10, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by andy434343
I thought Jim and Pam seemed out of character to blatantly make fun of Kevin right in front of him. They both seem like they are above that. I thought this episode truly showed us how messed up and dumb Erin actually is. I think we have been given small hints all along, but I always thought that she was just a little naive. Three examples I can think about are, She thought Kelly was "The coolest because she buys all her clothes at the mall", she thought that Andy "was a playboy", and her first kiss with Andy was at the dump. Now when I originally saw that scene I thought it was kind of cute, since they are both kind of dumb in terms of relationships and it was fitting that their first kiss was in an awkward location like the dump. Then there was the whole creepy step brother grabbing her leg. Maybe she really is extremely unintelligent to the point to not understand what her step brother was doing to her. The writers have effectively made me think that she is the craziest one in the office, as of right now.
I sort of think you're missing the point about the character. I'm not sure if they've ever said where she is from originally, but I always got the impression that Erin was from a small town and for her, Scranton was the "big" city. Sure, she is naive and might lack some common-sense, but she is also sincere, kind-hearted, genuinely nice, and eager to help others.

Her small-town upbringing would explain why she thinks Andy is "the coolest guy ever" and "kind of a player."

She was an orphan, raised in different foster homes with different kids; this would suggest that she didn't always have the nicest things. I imagine when she was growing up she felt that all the cool kids shopped at the mall. This would explain why she thinks Kelly is cool for shopping there.

I think this episode was great because it adds some depth to Erin. Before, she is always portrayed as the sweet and innocent child, but here we see that she does have a dark place and that it surfaces on occasion. We've seen hints that Erin has a troubled past; she was born premature, was in the hospital for three years during her youth, couldn't eat solid foods until she was six, suffers from seizures, raised in foster care, probably molested by her foster brother, etc. And yet, despite all of this she still remains optimistic and hopeful. It is likely that Andy is Erin's first real boyfriend and having grown up without developing the necessary tools to adequately deal with stressful situations, she had a breakdown and reverted to how she handled stress as a child.

She might be "messed up," but for good reason; and despite the problems, she means well and wouldn't ever take advantage of someone else.

I don't think she is "dumb," but instead just naive, lacking some common sense. I think she takes everything at face value and interprets things quite literally. All of this probably stems from her desire to please everyone all of the time; this might be attributable to her childhood as well.

I like the direction they've taken the character and look forward to seeing some growth and development with her.
Old 04-23-10, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Kevin doing the impression and saying chao over and over had me rolling...
Old 04-23-10, 10:01 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by MLBFan24
My GF didn't get it. Sigh.
Old 04-23-10, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The "I'll have what she's having" was the best line of the episode. I also enjoyed Michael calling Erin a "rube" and his scene where he asks her to lunch. Jim and Pam, however, continue to sink into the "unlikeable" category.
Old 04-23-10, 12:52 PM

Really great episode. Surprised they threw that wrench in the wheels for Erin and Andy but it made it a great episode. The lunch was damn funny too.

And Meredith with the breast pump made me laugh...hard.
Old 04-23-10, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
My GF didn't get it. Sigh.
Really? I've never seen WHMS, but I at least know the scene and get the reference. That's akin to not knowing who Luke Skywalker's father is if you haven't seen Star Wars. At this point it's just part of culture, you just know.
Old 04-23-10, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by boc4ever
I must be the odd man out. I thought this was one of the greatest episodes of all time. The whole cookie monster storyline, Andy's good intentions ending with a cake to the face, Erin's dark side, Angela getting snubbed in the meeting, Gabe overextending his authority ending with a day off for Pam and Jim, Michael's secret keeping ability, I could go on and on...
I agree. If they could keep this kind of chemistry going with the characters I think the show would be fantastic. Erin's odd quirks and dark side coming out is a great storyline, IMO. We've already seen the apparently perfect Jim and Pam story line. I think it's comedy gold that they are having Erin show a different side all of a sudden...it's not all that different from some people you encounter in the work place.

But what I liked most about the episode was Michael wasn't a complete buffoon. I actually think the show would work much, much better if Michael was portrayed as the well meaning kind guy he can be but with some character flaws that lead to comedic situations. Too often they make him like a brainless Homer Simpson type character and it just doesn't jive with how we see him in episodes like this.

And I have to say I side with Michael on the engagement thing...everybody in the office knew so why would he just assume Erin didn't know?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.