Rewatched Office UK for the first time since Office US started

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 04-20-10, 03:15 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

WHen the Office US started, everyone was comparing it to the UK version

Now several years have passed, it's the reverse. I rewatched Office UK and it was more of a case now of comparing it to the US version

Firstly it's amazing how many characters i didn't remember at all. Other than David Brent, Gareth, Tim, Dawn, Dawn's boyfriend and Finchy, the others seemed like new characters to me. Keith i remembered a bit but the other characters aren't that developed at all.

David Brent and Michael Scott really are amazingly similar in performance, much more so than i thought. Neil as an adversary is a much better character (and acted brilliantly) than anyone Michael Scott has ever faced.

Dwight has definitely surpassed Gareth over the years. I found Gareth a bit blah this time around

Tim spits all over Jim as a character but id give Pam the edge over Dawn. So Tim and Pam would be an ideal couple !

Two scenes stood out as being really too artificial. One was when David Brent was first talking to the Swindon lot and the room was totally silent when he was telling his jokes and the second was in the nightclub when the whole club was silent when Brent did his Austin Powers lines. Just wasn't realistic. He wasn't that bad and a few people would have had a chuckle.

Finchy is a brilliant character and would be a perfect Wingman on a night out !

Overall i really enjoyed the rewatching, i do think the show ended perfectly . I have found Pam and Jim a bit blah since they have fully got together and even have a kid. With the UK version ending with just the possibility of Tim and Dawn getting together, was cool.
Old 04-20-10, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
Re: Rewatched Office UK for the first time since Office US started

I had the UK DVDs forever before I finally watched a handful episodes a few months ago. Didn't care for it. Guess by that point, I was so used to the US version.
Old 04-20-10, 03:34 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

I enjoy most of the US version, it's been spotty the last few years.

Not sure if I've ever finished all of the UK version, but from what I've seen I like it a bit more.
Old 04-20-10, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dog
I had the UK DVDs forever before I finally watched a handful episodes a few months ago. Didn't care for it. Guess by that point, I was so used to the US version.
You might want to try again and watch it all the way through. Because I remember when I first watched it, I wasn't sure if I even liked it a few episodes in. But then after a few more episodes, it finally hooked me. And the grand finale of the show is great, one of the best endings of any show really.
Old 04-21-10, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Original Desmond
Overall i really enjoyed the rewatching, i do think the show ended perfectly . I have found Pam and Jim a bit blah since they have fully got together and even have a kid. With the UK version ending with just the possibility of Tim and Dawn getting together, was cool.
Have you seen the Christmas Specials that aired after season 2?
Old 04-21-10, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I know these shows have the same name and are made by the same creators, but comparing them really doesn't do either one justice. They both are VERY different in style of humor and in the fact that the US office has 24 episodes a season to fill whereas the UK version was only 14 episodes total (if you count the Christmas special).

That said, I think the US version is very funny, but the UK version is near perfect. Gervais plays a David Brent that is absolutely believable and hysterical at the same time. Every scene is filled with nuances that make this show great.

There are some flaws to the UK version--namely anytime they leave the office or, in my opinion, when they get too off-color and go for cheap jokes. But overall, I can watch the UK version dozens of times (I have) and still think it's clever and new. The US version is fun to watch once and then catch in reruns, but I don't think it will hold up near as well as a classic as the UK version will.
Old 04-21-10, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I loved the UK version but LOVE the US verision more as I love how many well developed Characters there are on the US version, The UK version really didnt develop any of the other characters infact I remember watching it and theres people working in the background that were just in the background and did nothing more.

I think the UK version ended fantastically I think after the first seasons of both shows its hard to compare them because they did end up becoming pretty different.
Old 04-21-10, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

I watched the UK version after watching S2 of the US version. Took a few episodes to get into it but I really enjoyed it.

I love Keith.