Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Walmart selling new DVDs in HWV & BB Case?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-10, 11:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wondering if anyone else is finding this. In Apple Valley, Ca. Walmart is selling some of their DVDs in Hollywood & Blockbuster case. They look new, when did they start doing this?
Old 04-20-10, 11:23 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Re: Walmart selling new DVDs in HWV & BB Case?

Not sure about that, I'd be worried that they are used, but similar things are very common.

Retailers return product to manufacturers/distributers all the time, and they can end up at any other retailer.

I've seen Best Buy exclusives at Walmart, Big Lots, and other retailers for example.
Old 04-20-10, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Just the other day I saw the Target exclusive The Dark Knight (Bat mask case) selling new at FYE, so it's probably becomming more common now.
Old 04-20-10, 02:28 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

When i worked at BB we would always send back product that would end up in walmarts. In the passed if you looked closely you could see the BB tag on the case still. With all the blockbusters closing im sure a lot of new rental prodcut didnt make it to the stores and got sent back
Old 04-20-10, 06:26 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

I got Zombieland from Amazon with a Best Buy sticker on it. Stores send back product, other places by old stock and don't always remove/cover the old stores tag.
Old 04-20-10, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hate best buy and their stickers on the sleeves.. however back to the OP.. I don't think Hollywood video and or blockbuster can send back stock.. as they are "used" as soon as they are opened. I wonder if wal-mart bought up a bunch of stock from those stores and are now trying to pass them off as new.
Old 04-21-10, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by adrenaline78
I hate best buy and their stickers on the sleeves.. however back to the OP.. I don't think Hollywood video and or blockbuster can send back stock.. as they are "used" as soon as they are opened. I wonder if wal-mart bought up a bunch of stock from those stores and are now trying to pass them off as new.
Hollywood Video and Blockbuster also sell new DVDs, not just used DVDs.
Old 04-21-10, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I took the original post as the dvd's were in those stores rental cases.. ala not new.
Old 04-21-10, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by adrenaline78
I took the original post as the dvd's were in those stores rental cases.. ala not new.
That's how I interepreted it, too
Old 04-21-10, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by MrSmearkase
That's how I interepreted it, too
From the looks of the disc (3 now, out of about 16) they are new. A "used/rental" disc all have some kind of finger prints on them. Lets face it how many people that is the 1st to rent a move really takes care of them if they bought it?

I have never work for any video place so I am just going by my business model right now. Could be wrong?

At the time I bought them back in Nov 09 (Black Friday) they all cost under $5 with a number of them at $2 each. Could be that with all the big box video stores going under they had tons of their case around. Sold them back to the duplicators very very super very cheap.

I never did like those case, that is how I seen it.
Old 04-21-10, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The OP is a little confusing because HV and Block Buster have both standard cases (which we see on our DVDs from time to time) with (tiny, almost unnoticeable) slots for locks AND those big, heavy, ugly cases with very obvious slots for very long locks. I think they switched to the prior cases fairly recently, so people still associate those big, ugly cases when you say, "they're using rental cases". In other words, pics please.
Old 04-21-10, 11:58 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So were they shrink-wrapped? The retail DVDs that Blockbuster and Hollywood Video sell are shrink-wrapped, be in a original retail case, and just have a generic sticker stating the price. Nothing that actually says the store name... Also, majority of them will have manufacturer stickers on the top of the case with the name of the flick. If they were used, you should be able to tell - even if they shrink-wrap the movies themselves.

If Walmart can get into the rental business with their own kiosks, which was an idea they toyed with recently, I don't see why they wouldn't sell "previously viewed DVDs" in their stores as well. As long as they don't try selling a P/V DVD for full retail, it may help their gross profits.
Old 04-21-10, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by drq2
From the looks of the disc (3 now, out of about 16) they are new. A "used/rental" disc all have some kind of finger prints on them. Lets face it how many people that is the 1st to rent a move really takes care of them if they bought it?

I have never work for any video place so I am just going by my business model right now. Could be wrong?

At the time I bought them back in Nov 09 (Black Friday) they all cost under $5 with a number of them at $2 each. Could be that with all the big box video stores going under they had tons of their case around. Sold them back to the duplicators very very super very cheap.

I never did like those case, that is how I seen it.
I'm a little curious as well, they have machines that can make them look like new.. I know family video stores have them and I have a few dvds from them that you would never know otherwise minus the shrink-wrap and the security sticker.

So are you seeing these just now in your store or were these all from last year? Did they have shrink-wrap or security stickers (the strips along the top of the dvd case) or any kind of other stickers or signage saying previously viewed or not new?

Anyway for that price and as long as they are in good condition I wouldn't be opposed to buying them depending on the title... problem is with all the store closing deals I probably couldn't bring myself to pay more than $1-$2 bucks for most used dvds.

Post some pics if you can & what kind of titles did they have.. newer releases, older..?
Old 04-21-10, 09:27 PM

Old 04-21-10, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts

I think those are just regular DVD cases. Quite a few of the new DVDs I've bought in the last five or six years have been in cases like that.
Old 04-22-10, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I think those are just regular DVD cases. Quite a few of the new DVDs I've bought in the last five or six years have been in cases like that.
I did not know this, after checking these are the only ones (see collection below) that have this. I was really just wonder more then anything.
Old 04-22-10, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Those are just normal cases. I've gotten a lot of those over the years. They can have a locking tab added to them, but it never caught on in retailers.