Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Unlikely Double Features

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Unlikely Double Features

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-10, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unlikely Double Features

The following has been happening to me increasingly lately...does anyone else experience it?

I'll be watching a movie, and suddenly another film will pop into my head, which strikes me as having similarities to the one I'm watching, although the two on the surface seem very different. I'd be interested in hearing examples of this from anyone else who has them (might make for some interesting future viewing).

I'll start with my most recent one. I was watching Vanishing Point (1971) on BD last night. It was the third time I'd watched it, but the first time since falling in love with Into the Wild (2007), which I also own. And as I watched the film, things began to strike me: both protagonists are on existential quests, they spend much of the movie traveling the backroads of America (especially the American West), they both encounter lots of (sometimes oddball) characters along the way, and
Spoiler:
neither one comes out of their journey alive

As I sat down to watch the Sarafian film again, the last thing I was expecting was to be thinking about Sean Penn's film from 36 years later, but for me, the parallels were unavoidable. I like Into the Wild considerably more than Vanishing Point, but obviously enjoy both.

Who would like to suggest my next oddball double bill?
Old 04-19-10, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Unlikely Double Features

I dunno about oddball, but I was wondering if an audience would pay to see a double feature of Moon and Galaxy Quest. Rockwell in space!
Old 04-19-10, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,724 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Pecker and Snatch.
Old 04-19-10, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Two that I always think of together are:

F for Fake and The Wild Wild World of Jayne Mansfield ... both made with various repurposed documentary footage and explicitly/implicitly about fakery. TWWWOJM features a dubbed voice for "Jayne" throughout and a lengthy scene with a lookalike, for starters ... also Jayne was a very sharp woman who made a lucrative career out of playing dumb.

I was thinking about double bills the other day and had a few in mind, but of course when it comes time to lay them out in a thread I can't think of any more

Here's one more --- a bit more esoteric or obscure, maybe/maybe not, but when I saw the first one for the first time recently I made the connection:

Another Sky and Lianna ... each features a woman whose life is changed forever by a sexual encounter/awakening, ultimately not necessarily better or worse but very different.
Old 04-20-10, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

I always "enjoyed" the uber bleak double feature of Requiem for a Dream and Dancer in the Dark.
Old 04-20-10, 08:18 AM

Received 1,899 Likes on 1,121 Posts

My wife and I went to the drive-in movies a lot last summer. The oddest triple feature we saw was Ice Age 3, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, and The Hangover. We'd already seen The Hangover earlier that summer when it was paired with The Taking of Pelham 1-2-3 and Terminator: Salvation so we didn't mind leaving early... with my cousins, ages 8, 10, and 12.

Seriously, I'm not watching The Hangover with them.
Old 04-20-10, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dogmatica
My wife and I went to the drive-in movies a lot last summer. The oddest triple feature we saw was Ice Age 3, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, and The Hangover. We'd already seen The Hangover earlier that summer when it was paired with The Taking of Pelham 1-2-3 and Terminator: Salvation so we didn't mind leaving early... with my cousins, ages 8, 10, and 12.

Seriously, I'm not watching The Hangover with them.
Holy crap, a triple feature at your drive-in. I don't want to know what time you get home after that. I thought it was bad enough watching 2 at my local drive-in and getting home around 1AM or so depending on the movies shown.
Old 04-20-10, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

My friends and I once stayed up late to watch Doctor Zhivago, and followed that with Wayne's World. No obvious connections, but if you watch them between, say, midnight and six-ish, work very well together. Just sayin'.
Old 04-20-10, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

When I was a teenager, I feel one of my proudest sneaking in moments were in 2003 when I had such winning triple features like ...

Bulletproof Monk / Malibu's Most Wanted / Bend It Like Beckham

Finding Nemo / Wrong Turn / The Italian Job

Grind / Camp / Freddy Vs. Jason
Old 04-20-10, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

A few come to mind theatrically:

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind followed by Dawn of the Dead (2004).

Street Kings followed by Forgetting Sarah Marshall.

You Don't Mess with the Zohan, which I walked out of, then into The Strangers, followed by Kung Fu Panda at the end of the day.

A recent curious DVD double feature that was unintentional: Serial Mom and The Outlaw Josey Wales.
Old 04-20-10, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My local drive-in currently has:

Clash of the Titans / The Blind Side, or The Last Song (the Miley Cyrus movie) / How to Train Your Dragon.
Old 04-21-10, 02:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The only time I have ever theater hopped makes for an interesting double feature:

Wild, Wild, West ----> South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut
Old 04-21-10, 03:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Citizen Kane ---- Plan 9 From Outer Space
Old 04-21-10, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by hasslein
Citizen Kane ---- Plan 9 From Outer Space
Hey, in ED WOOD, the two meet!
Old 04-21-10, 09:35 AM

Solaris -> Spaceballs
Old 04-21-10, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Hey, in ED WOOD, the two meet!
I haven't seen Ed Wood in over a decade. Now you made me want to pull my old laserdisc out!
Old 04-21-10, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
I always "enjoyed" the uber bleak double feature of Requiem for a Dream and Dancer in the Dark.
Years ago, when cut-rate theaters showed double feature, I actually paid a couple of bucks to see "Ordinary People" and "The Elephant Man".

It started me on my downward spiral with anti-depressants....
Old 04-21-10, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by grip
Years ago, when cut-rate theaters showed double feature, I actually paid a couple of bucks to see "Ordinary People" and "The Elephant Man".

It started me on my downward spiral with anti-depressants....
Just think how healthy you'd be if you'd gone to see the discount double bill I went to that season...BLUES BROTHERS and AIRPLANE! No anti-depressants for me! (Not that I'm not depressed these days, but in 1980 I was fine!)
Old 04-21-10, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Wathced a double-feature of Best in Show and Requiem for a Dream at the Alamo Draft House years ago. That was a surreal experience.
Old 04-21-10, 07:31 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

I once had a theater hop trippple feature of Requiem for a Dream, Best In Show, and Quills. Best in Show didn't seem funny after Requiem and Quills (about the Marque DeSade) seemed tame.
Old 04-23-10, 07:43 AM

Received 1,899 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by Schloob1
Holy crap, a triple feature at your drive-in. I don't want to know what time you get home after that. I thought it was bad enough watching 2 at my local drive-in and getting home around 1AM or so depending on the movies shown.
Oh, yeah. It rocks: http://valihi.com.
Old 04-24-10, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dogmatica
Oh, yeah. It rocks: http://valihi.com.
That's a sweet triple feature you got there this weekend. I know I would have to take a nap the next day for sure to recoop but could see myself going at least 2 to 3 a summer for triple features. Typically I only get to 1 or 2 each year here since mine only has a double feature and usually is tough to get 2 good movies together. This week it is How Train Dragon and Kick Ass. I really don;t have any desire to see either until they come out on disc. I'm mainly hoping for something good to be with Iron Man 2 and Shrek 4 this year. If somehow they show together will be very happy and since they release 2 weeks apart it is very possible. Enjoy those late nights up there in the North, I know I would