DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : .DMG files- Mac

Blu Man
04-16-10, 08:48 PM
How can I open them? I downloaded the software, moved it into the applications section, but they still won't open. When I double click, a Tab comes up that reads: "This is not a movie file". I realize this is because I am trying to run it through quicktime, but it's a software, so it shouldn't have to be run through another software. So, how do I get it run with out thinking it needs to work through a software like quicktime or photoshop? Thanks.

Blu Man
04-16-10, 09:08 PM
Never mind. I figured it out.

shaun3000
04-16-10, 10:16 PM
I'll go ahead and post an answer in case it helps others out.

A DMG is a disk image file. Think of it as a virtual CD-ROM. Just as with a real CD, you don't run the program off the disk; you have to install it to your hard drive. On a Mac, that's usually as easy as dragging the program from the DMG file to your Applications folder. (Or wherever you like, really)

Some programs require you run an installer program instead of a simple drag-and-drop. The installer program usually looks like an open cardboard box. They are usually named Install or Setup. Run this program and it will walk you through the steps to install the program.

Once you've copied the program (or run the installer) just eject the DMG file like you would a CD, and you can delete it.