Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

USA renews Burn Notice for 2 seasons (Season 5 and 6)

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 04-16-10, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...s=1&ref=verttv

USA Network has given a go-ahead for seasons five and six of "Burn Notice" -- continuing a noticeable trend of cablers showing confidence by reupping shows before having significant ratings data to consider.

Season four is still two months away from launching. But USA says the series -- the No. 1 show in cable -- will continue to be a ratings juggernaut and wants it to remain in the lineup for years to come.

"Once 'Saturday Night Live' makes fun of you,' how can you not commit to extra seasons?" president of original programming Jeff Wachtel told Daily Variety.

Wachtel is referring to a skit on the venerable NBC latenight franchise in which gameshow contestants were quizzed about "Burn Notice."

Network execs say seasons five and six will run a minimum of 15 and 18 episodes, respectively. Season four is shooting in Miami and season five will begin production in about a year.
Fantastic news. Season 4 Premieres in June, so we are going to have at least 3 more seasons of this show (counting Season 4). Summer TV is looking great.
Old 04-16-10, 03:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: USA renews Burn Notice for 2 seasons (Season 5 and 6)

Old 04-16-10, 06:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 130 Likes on 95 Posts

I actually don't like this - the show is starting to feel long in the tooth. Hopefully this means there is a plan for the end and they will work towards it ala Lost.
Old 04-16-10, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm torn on it - I love the show, but I would hate to see the whole bigger plot get dragged out that long. Hopefully they'll tie that one up and do a bit of a reboot, maybe in a somewhat different direction.
Old 04-16-10, 07:56 AM
Needs to Contact Admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thrilled about it, but also fear it may get dragged out.

However, 2 seasons does give it plenty of time to maybe expand on all 3 main characters pasts and how they came to meet (I know episodes have touched on this, but maybe they could elaborate)

either way - I can't wait for Season 4 to start..
Old 04-16-10, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Looks like a common thread. Good news, but dragging out the main arc for another two years sounds like a terrible idea.
Old 04-16-10, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

Originally Posted by Superman07
I actually don't like this - the show is starting to feel long in the tooth. Hopefully this means there is a plan for the end and they will work towards it ala Lost.
I certainly hope they don't follow Lost's way of getting to the end.
Old 04-16-10, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Agree with everybody here.

I'd love if they would just resolve the overall plot this upcoming season and then just find something else for the final two.
Old 04-16-10, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,878 Likes on 1,236 Posts

Originally Posted by Superman07
I actually don't like this - the show is starting to feel long in the tooth.
One of my best friends from high school is a writer/producer on Burn Notice, and he posted the following on Facebook:

So Burn Notice just got picked up for Seasons 5 and 6. Does anyone have any good ideas for weapons that can be made out of an electric toothbrush or something? Apparently we gotta do like 40 more of these.
Old 04-16-10, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

Originally Posted by Chew
I'd love if they would just resolve the overall plot this upcoming season and then just find something else for the final two.
I agree. I really don't care about him getting unburned at this point.
Old 04-16-10, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's the SNL skit mentioned in the OP:

<object width="512" height="296"><param name="movie" value="http://www.hulu.com/edp/http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ehulu%2Ecom%2F/embed/tMXs4wJrnX9yD8lVw2ulKA"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.hulu.com/edp/http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ehulu%2Ecom%2F/embed/tMXs4wJrnX9yD8lVw2ulKA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="512" height="296" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>
Old 04-16-10, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Old 04-16-10, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I honestly don't care if the main arc continues to drag on as long as they continue having the entertaining one-off stories in every episode as well.
Old 04-16-10, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts
Burn Notice re-upped for Season 5 & 6

USA feeling the 'Burn'
Networks commits to top cable series for seasons five and six
By STUART LEVINE
'Burn Notice'

The fourth season of 'Burn Notice' won't start for another two months, but USA execs have faith it will continue to be a hit.

USA Network has given a go-ahead for seasons five and six of "Burn Notice" -- continuing a trend of cablers showing confidence by reupping shows before having significant ratings data to consider.

Season four is still two months away from launching. But USA says the Fox TV Studios series -- the No. 1 show in cable -- will continue to be a ratings juggernaut and wants it to remain in the lineup for years to come. USA has also bought up the off-net rights to the six seasons of the show, which will begin airing as a strip on the cabler in October 2011.

"Once 'Saturday Night Live' makes fun of you,' how can you not commit to extra seasons?" Jeff Wachtel, USA's president of original programming, told Daily Variety.

Wachtel was referring to a skit on the venerable NBC latenight franchise in which gameshow contestants were quizzed about "Burn Notice."

Network execs say seasons five and six will run a minimum of 15 and 18 episodes, respectively. Season four is shooting in Miami and season five will begin production in about a year.

Wachtel said an integral decision that helped the skein's success came in the development process when USA/Syfy topper Bonnie Hammer asked that its location be moved from Newark, N.J., to Miami to give the show a more blue-sky quality. "That was a crucial moment in the life of the show," Wachtel said.

Jeffrey Donovan starrer has been a ratings powerhouse since its inception in June 2007. Including same-week DVR play, "Burn Notice" closed out season averaging 7.1 million viewers and 3.3 million in the 18-49 demo. The final episode was a whopper with 6.1 million tuning in.

USA just finished the first quarter as the No. 1 network in ad-supported cable and recently announced a handful of pilot scripts that it believes will keep its momentum going. Newest series set to preem is "Covert Affairs," which will start most likely in July.

The month promises to be a busy one for USA as "White Collar," "Covert Affairs," "Psych," "Burn Notice" and "Royal Pains" may all be on the air.

Programming service MyNetwork TV just announced it will has picked up repeats of "Burn Notice" to run Wednesdays beginning in the fall.

Matt Nix, Mikkel Bondesen and Alfredo Barrios Jr. are exec producers.
Old 04-16-10, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Re: Burn Notice re-upped for Season 5 & 6

dude, there is a thread about that was only like 5 threads down!

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/572...son-5-6-a.html
Old 04-16-10, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk God

The show mostly episodic with stand alone cases of the week. So, I think that alone will help the show continue just fine in seasons 5 and 6. You can still have minor serial story arcs.
Old 04-16-10, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Merged the two threads.
Old 04-16-10, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Awesome news since this is one of my favorite shows. So proud of my boys Campbell and Fillion getting passed season 1 of a show
Old 04-16-10, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

Given the way they split seasons, it's almost like they're announcing four more.

Question for those that saw most of last season (I missed out on a bit of the second half)? Did Fiona ever get a re-match with the woman from the next to last ep. of the first half? I remember the woman getting away from her by getting into a group of kids and just walking away while Fiona fumed.
Old 04-16-10, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Given the way they split seasons, it's almost like they're announcing four more.

Question for those that saw most of last season (I missed out on a bit of the second half)? Did Fiona ever get a re-match with the woman from the next to last ep. of the first half? I remember the woman getting away from her by getting into a group of kids and just walking away while Fiona fumed.
No she never did.
Old 04-16-10, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

What a dumbass SNL skit, but then aren't they all?
Old 04-16-10, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
No she never did.
Yet.
Old 04-16-10, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by devilshalo
What a dumbass SNL skit, but then aren't they all?
It a pretty lame, one-joke skit, but I did understand where they were coming from. I didn't start watching BN until season 2. I had seen plenty of promo spots but I didn't have any idea what the show was about until someone here mentioned it was a spy show. I thought it was a Miami Vice-like cop show or something.

Last edited by wmansir; 04-17-10 at 10:57 AM.
Old 04-16-10, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

here's what Aziz Ansari's cousin Harris thinks about Burn Notice

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hd90oqIvtXs&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hd90oqIvtXs&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 04-17-10, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

when is the last time somebody wrote that SNL was "A lot of fun"

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.