DVD Talk
Ever bought a DVD a 2nd time JUST for alternate artwork? [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Ever bought a DVD a 2nd time JUST for alternate artwork?

JJE-187
04-13-10, 08:35 PM
I just picked up The Sherlock Holmes Collection (Hallmark films w/Matt Frewer) for a 2nd time because they released it in a new cover that resembles/rips-off the new Sherlock Holmes movie.
This is only the 3rd time I have done it, I bought the re-release of Robin Hood:Prince of Thieves that resembles all those ...... Movie covers and Can't Hardly Wait (Non-SE) that has the American Pie-style stamp on the front.
So has anyone else bought a DVD for a 2nd time just because it had new artwork, No new features just different artwork.
I don't own the original release but I don't plan on buying Young Sherlock Holmes unless I find the recent re-release with the Sherlock Holmes rip-off cover

The Monkees
04-13-10, 09:05 PM
No I have not. I wanted to buy the steelbook for for Nightmare Before Christmas BD before I saw it, but I couldn't justify spending another $30 just for a new cover. Plus it looked terrible, so I passed.

dkedvd
04-13-10, 09:06 PM
The only time I've done anything like that was when I bought The Little Mermaid on VHS a few months back because it was the recalled "penis castle" cover.

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
04-13-10, 09:07 PM
Never.

If I really loved the artwork, I'd just download it and print it on some photo paper.

TheDuke
04-13-10, 09:08 PM
No, the only time I could see myself making an exception would be for novelty things like what dkedvd said, and also if there was a really badass steelbook.

Cardsfan111
04-13-10, 09:10 PM
Have never done it and can't see a time in the future where I would.

DaveWadding
04-13-10, 09:18 PM
I paid $5 for the Princess Bride release with the ambigram artwork. Loved it.

OldBoy
04-13-10, 09:52 PM
as long as they have the movie (maybe some extra content) in it and it doesn't skip, pixelate or freeze who gives a shit what the actual cover art looks like.

Tarantino
04-13-10, 10:58 PM
Nope.

RobCA
04-13-10, 10:59 PM
Never have. Never will.

sb5
04-13-10, 11:07 PM
Never.

hasslein
04-13-10, 11:38 PM
There are a few I've done in reverse order.. For instance I have an upgraded Animal House edition, but I liked the foil cover with original poster art from the original collector's edition, so I bought the foil cover used, and put the upgraded edition in it.. Same with Conan the Barbarian, Young Frankenstein others.

Johnny Boy
04-14-10, 12:28 AM
No, but I did buy The Will Be Blood twice. I bought the regular version then later bought the Special Edition. It's the only movie I have 2 copies of. I love it.

SPiRAL
04-14-10, 12:42 AM
Nope.

tylergfoster
04-14-10, 01:07 AM
Yep. I don't think I've ever paid very much for the replacement copies, though.

kstublen
04-14-10, 01:50 AM
Yep. I don't think I've ever paid very much for the replacement copies, though.

This.

rw2516
04-14-10, 04:45 AM
No, but after a double dip I've kept the previous one(s) because of the cover(s). Ex: I kept the Universal monster double features that resemble midnite movie double feature covers after buying the legacy sets because of the covers.

milo bloom
04-14-10, 02:45 PM
I've considered re-buying The Ring (US) since it now comes in a slipcover, but I haven't pulled the trigger on that.

When I double-dipped on The Black Hole for the new 16x9 transfer, I took the old red DVD case from Anchor Bay and swapped it for the new one before getting rid of the old disc.

jjcool
04-14-10, 02:59 PM
The only time I may have done this, is for a Steelbook. But even then, I dont think they was exactly the same content on the discs.

pjflyer
04-14-10, 02:59 PM
No, that would be silly.

That'sAllFolks
04-14-10, 03:00 PM
I did buy the universal monster double features at BL for around $2 -- even though I had the Legacy sets (thought about getting rid of them since then). The only other one was the <b>snapper</b> for Logan's Run. 1) I think I paired it with something in a B1G1 around 8-10 years ago and 2) I liked it b/c it had the poster art (I also have the orig. MGM release).

I wish more DVD cover art was the poster --- esp. if it is included in a box set where it shouldn't matter so much for marketing.

Spottedfeather
04-14-10, 03:03 PM
I've done it for different extras, but never for cover art. I've also bought blu-rays that I bought not long before, just because I was a huge fan of the movies. This is mainly the classic Disney stuff.

milo bloom
04-14-10, 03:20 PM
Ooh, almost forgot, I bought both versions of The Omega Man on DVD for the two different artworks. I thought they were going to end up being pretty rare.

danwiz
04-14-10, 06:20 PM
Shockingly - I must say I agree 100% with Scott1598. And, if - for some weird reason - I really loved some particular artwork then I would do as Mr. Peepers said - download it.

wm lopez
04-14-10, 06:37 PM
No, that would be silly.
Those James Bond movies had some nice movie posters and if those were to be put on dvd that would sell.

hindolio
04-14-10, 08:46 PM
ive done it many times.

albert_m
04-14-10, 10:22 PM
I've definitely done the opposite - I don't own Real Genius, but can't bring myself to buy the dvd with that horrific cover that one would never think is for that movie.

gryffinmaster
04-14-10, 10:34 PM
Only once, and it was for alternate packaging. I bought a copy of Planet Terror relatively cheap at a rental store, enjoyed it a lot more than expected, then spotted a copy of the Best Buy Steelbook for $10 at a used DVD shop. Since it was rare at the time (still somewhat is, but less so after the Blu-ray release) and a pretty slick difference in style, I snatched it up and gave the other DVD away.

calhoun07
04-14-10, 10:40 PM
I can't say that I have, but I have tracked down DVDs before they went out of print when I realized the new edition of the movie was going to suck and the original run of the DVD had a far better cover.

Pizza
04-15-10, 06:58 AM
Artwork, no. Packaging, yes. Well, actually my wife did for a Xmas present. That cool Alien head set. If she didn't pick it up, I still would have. Oh, and those Grease jackets sucked me in, too. Again, packaging.

oldboy87
04-15-10, 07:23 AM
Couple of times, mostly for Steelbook editions or new packaging.

Double_Oh_7
04-15-10, 07:33 AM
I've definitely done the opposite - I don't own Real Genius, but can't bring myself to buy the dvd with that horrific cover that one would never think is for that movie.

WTF does the cover art have to do with anything? Unless you plan on sitting and staring at it all day, every day. It sits on a shelf obstructd by other DVDs.

And no, I have never double-dipped for artwork. Couldn't care less.

stingermck
04-15-10, 07:54 AM
1 time, Death Wish, during a CC closing sale.

SterlingBen
04-15-10, 08:16 AM
Not until yesterday, and I think this thread is partially to blame.

I couldn't resist when I saw this.
http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/7274/dsc09853e.jpg
The Japanese title is "Ghost Hunters"

Trevor
04-15-10, 08:22 AM
All my titles are stored spine facing out. Cover artwork never gets seen, they could all be plain white backgrounds and black text for all I care.

Now if it had an extra second of content added to it, then yes, I'll double dip like there's no tomorrow.

JOE29
04-15-10, 09:19 AM
I have. But I always traded in the DVD I didn't want to keep first.
One example was Black Sabbath. I wanted the DVD artwork of the 3 women on the
cover instead of the later version with the severed head artwork.

Ash Ketchum
04-15-10, 09:21 AM
I've bought DVDs a second time because I completely forgot that I'd bought them already. A few of those inadvertent double dips and I'm ready to stop buying DVDs altogether until I actually watch the ones I have.

milo bloom
04-15-10, 09:23 AM
I can't say that I have, but I have tracked down DVDs before they went out of print when I realized the new edition of the movie was going to suck and the original run of the DVD had a far better cover.

I've done that too, picked up the 1976 King Kong with the old World Trade Center cover.

Steve
04-15-10, 09:52 AM
i throw all the artwork in a binder, stash the cases in a box in storage, and put the discs in CD organizer. I have 1400 discs in a 2 foot space - wouldn't have it any other way.

So for me - I care more about disc art than anything else.. though i would never buy another version just for that...

slop101
04-15-10, 10:20 AM
Not for artwork alone, but I did re-buy the Fight Club dvd when they had it in the limited edition Steelbook. I'm glad I did too, it's pretty sweet.

Josh Z
04-15-10, 12:02 PM
Only for Steelbooks or elaborate box set packaging (primarily imports). Never just for the sheet of cover art.

I did contemplate buying both the Naomi Watts and Laura Harring covers for Mulholland Drive, though. Eventually, I just picked one. Now I can't even remember which one that was.

mike07
04-15-10, 12:09 PM
Never, tempted a few times to pick up an "upgraded" version of a DVD for 15 minutes of additional footage but never have. I have no interest in buying the same thing more than once, unless I buy something I forgot I already had...which I've done before.

Pizza
04-15-10, 09:33 PM
i throw all the artwork in a binder, stash the cases in a box in storage, and put the discs in CD organizer. I have 1400 discs in a 2 foot space - wouldn't have it any other way.

So for me - I care more about disc art than anything else.. though i would never buy another version just for that...
In that scenerio you must hate flippers. I've tossed out my DVD cases and put my discs in slim CD jewel cases. I picked up a label maker for the flippers or the hard to read discs. (I put the labels on the cases, not the discs!)

brayzie
04-15-10, 11:23 PM
Yes. When I found out that the original DVD of Audition went OOP I tracked down one copy at Frys and bought it.

Later when it was re-released the 2nd time with the white/black/red cover, and priced at 6.99 at Best Buy I had to buy it.

The last release of Terminator was gonna get bought by me till I found out it was a lenticular cover.

Future Kill another "almost" till I found out that the slip cover had the original art and the actual dvd cover underneath was redone in a not so spectacular version.

The barebones Donnie Brasco another one. Then I discovered the word of custom cover art.

JJE-187
04-16-10, 09:42 AM
I use custom covers alot but the few I have double dipped on where really obscure titles that finding a scan for would be nearly impossible. How many people actually own Robin Hood: Men In Tights with the ..... Movie style cover? How many people own The Sherlock Holmes Collection with the rip-off cover similar to Guy Ritchie's movie? I would say very few.

JohnnyDaBull
04-16-10, 10:12 AM
No I haven't. I have bought the movie again for different features and cuts, and that bothered me having two copies so I got rid of one.

Slainery
04-16-10, 05:33 PM
No, I never did.

matome
04-17-10, 10:14 AM
yes

http://images.dvdempire.com/gen/movies/8655h.jpg http://images.moviecollector.net/users/large/ce/ce_2328323_0_Dick_1999.jpg

JJE-187
04-17-10, 10:53 AM
i have never seen the new Dick cover in stores, I got the original DVD with pepsi points ages ago and sold it a few years ago when I needed cash. Guess i will search out the new cover version if I can snag it for $5 or under

matome
04-17-10, 11:47 AM
I picked that up when CompUSA had it's going out of business sale a few years ago, and I've never seen it anywhere since. It's actually even a better disc as the new one is widescreen only and has disc art vs. the original flipper disc that had a P&S version on one side.

Hendersonfan
04-17-10, 11:53 AM
I bought The Dark Knight Steelbook (which was also 2 disc) after already having the regular issue. The only other movie I have double dipped on was North By Northwest....I grabbed the 40th Anniversary Edition for a nice price. I don't think I would buy a DVD again just for the cover, but I might hold out on the movie until I got the particular one I wanted.

shellebelle
04-17-10, 08:20 PM
Nope. Actually, the only reason I would buy another disc of the same movie is if I'm upgrading to Blu-Ray.

MrSmearkase
04-17-10, 10:17 PM
I just re-bought Iron Man tonight for the Steelbook. Debating on whether or not to sell my old Target Mask version, or hang onto it...

Lutz
04-18-10, 04:37 AM
Its kind of similar but I live in Australia and don't buy any region 4 DVDs due to the ENORMOUS ratings sign printed on the covers.

JustinCleveland
04-18-10, 06:52 AM
I bought the Batman mask packaging when Target had it on sale for dirt cheap a couple weeks back. Gave my original copy to my brother as a birthday present. Worked out in the end.

albert_m
04-18-10, 09:24 AM
WTF does the cover art have to do with anything? Unless you plan on sitting and staring at it all day, every day. It sits on a shelf obstructd by other DVDs.

then buy it.

If it was a movie that i wanted immediately I would have purchased it.

paradicelost
04-18-10, 12:28 PM
I think I've only done it twice, both for steelbooks. One for Fight Club and the other for Nightmare before Christmas. I'm thinking maybe Labyrinth but I'm not sure if those had new content or not to tell you the truth. I found a copy of Re-Animator on Amazon that looked close to the Elite LD that I wanted to since I own every other copy that's been released(i don't think that counts since I think every new released had new content on it) but I'm not sure if it is an official release since I couldn't find any info on it on any other website.

BobO'Link
04-19-10, 05:45 PM
No, never. Never will either. I don't do this with comics which have a greater possibility of additional future worth based on cover art. If there's more than 1 cover when I make a purchase I'll pick the one I like best and forget the rest.

I also don't care about or double-dip for "special features". I'll only double-dip for a "Director's Cut" or "SE" with more footage added directly to the film.

milo bloom
04-19-10, 07:31 PM
I keep thinking of times I've done this. I found the 2 disc of Batman Begins pretty cheap used, then later I found the one with the little box with the comic book for even cheaper after that so I upgraded.

MoviePhanatic00
04-20-10, 07:14 AM
I have not, but thanks for putting that idea in my head lol jk ... however I did get the Gone with the Wind import from UK during initial release. I didn't want the collector's edition and hated the cover art on the movie only version available at Target. I went with the import since it had the better cover art and special features. I was not disappointed

GoldenWheels
04-20-10, 09:05 AM
I've given away some things with French text on the cover simply because it bugged me and then decided I did in fact NEED that movie later and purchased it again.