Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Need Advice in Buying Electronics Online

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Need Advice in Buying Electronics Online

Old 08-09-00, 04:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've read this forum for a while, but am posting for the first time... sometimes get put off by the unfriendliness of many replies...

Anyway, I go back to school in a couple of weeks, and move into a new apartment and am thinking of buying a TV and DVD player online, but am a little wary of doing so, so I need your advice.

Do you prefer buying electronic products online? I've bought many things online before, but I'm a little wary about buying such heavy stuff in case of returns. How many of your online TV or DVD player purchases have had to be returned or exchanged? And would you generally recommend it?

I guess I'm thinking about it because state taxes can kill your interest in a product pretty quickly. But I also happen to be lousy with cables, so I do need not just delivery, but installation and setup. How many online companies actually help you out with that? I don't mean them doing it (if they did, that would be great), but them giving phone numbers to call when I need help. Who would I be able to turn to locally for that? (I'm going to be living in Philadelphia).

Which online companies have you found to be reliable or responsible? I did a search on the forum, and know many people think highly of OneCall, and 800.com, but are there any others you would recommend?

I don't want this message to be too long, so I'll end with this: any other advice from anyone on buying electronic products online would also be really welcome . And thanks very much for the advice in advance, people.
Old 08-09-00, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I have used www.soundcity.com and been very happy. Their prices are competitive, but you should still shop around to make sure. 800.com generally has some deals as well with coupons. I think most of the places add insurance into the shipping cost, so if the tv is damaged you can get it replaced. Hooking up a TV and DVD player is very easy and you should be able to do it yourself. The money you save on sales tax can add up. I would recommend shopping online, but also check your local stores to make sure your getting a good price.
Old 08-09-00, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Make sure the store you use online is an authorized dealer for the brand you are purchasing.....take a look at
www.onecall.com www.jandr.com
Old 08-09-00, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 373 Likes on 272 Posts
I've bought 2 receivers online and learned a tough lesson in the process: make sure you look at the product in a retail store before you buy. I bought the Sherwood receiver from 800.com and didn't like it very much.

Shipping it back to 800 was a pain in the A$$ and they charged me for Shipping to me ($7.00)and shipping back (over $30 for 28lbs.)

If something is damaged in shipping you don't pay however I think you pay a lot for shipping a TV so it might not be worth it unless you find a free shipping deal or cheap shipping...

I used Soundcity for my second receiver and shipping was free (deal expired )so I kind of made out. 800 was good about letting me return the receiver so I still recommend them.
As for the hookup of a TV DVD player it could not be easier just hook the cables up this way: Red DVD out to red TV in, white DVD out to white TV in and yellow to yellow or S Vid to S vid. Just make sure the tv has a S video in or you may be unhappy later!

Also one of my friends used Supreme video online and although the shipping was a little slow he felt they were good.
Good luck and welcome to the forum!

[This message has been edited by jpcamb (edited August 09, 2000).]
Old 08-09-00, 01:40 PM
Suspended

What I did was shop the internet sites for best reviews of the products I wanted to purchase. Then I shopped for the best price. Then I printed out the prices. Then I took Them to my local upscale Audio/Visual store and told them I would rather purchase from them, but as money is an object wondered if they could even come close to the prices I found. They matched within 3% and I was able to buy local from a brick and mortar. They have been great friends ever since and are always there when I need them.
Old 08-09-00, 01:41 PM
Suspended

What I did was shop the internet sites for best reviews of the products I wanted to purchase. Then I shopped for the best price. Then I printed out the prices. Then I took Them to my local upscale Audio/Visual store and told them I would rather purchase from them, but as money is an object wondered if they could even come close to the prices I found. They matched within 3% and I was able to buy local from a brick and mortar. They have been great friends ever since and are always there when I need them.
Old 08-09-00, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 373 Likes on 272 Posts
On the B&M internet pricematching: I have read about Sears doing price matching on electronics for online stores. Results seem to vary from location to location but it may be worth a shot.
Old 08-09-00, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've bought about half of my equipment online (receiver, DVD, other electronics), and half of my equipment at B&M stores (speakers, TV). Do I prefer buying online? Not really, just for the reason you mentioned - because you don't have the return policies or personal technical support. I've only bought online when it represented significant savings, or if there are no local dealers with the product that I want.

In general, I'd recommend it if you are knowledgable about the product and the online retailer's reputation for reliability and service, and if you feel that your savings online are worth the cost of a possible return hassle.

I know that some reputable online companies like 800.com have a live-chat online help thingy which can help you out if you need any help, and I'm sure many others might answer emails promptly.

Oh yeah, welcome to the forum. Hope you continue to post, and don't let the unfriendliness get to you.
Old 08-10-00, 12:17 AM
Cool New Member

What I try to do is check the prices and ratings of the online stores at cnet and mysimon.com that carry the product that I want to buy. I got my dvd player and reciver and camera also computer moniter from online stores. However for a TV. I need to see that in person. Try to buy from a online store that gives you 30 days to sent product back. Some charge restocking fees, check their online policies before buying.
Old 08-10-00, 07:14 AM

I have had great experiences buying online. www.Consumer-direct.com has been great especially with their 30 day return policy. I have also had agood experience with www.onecall.com especially if you call them for their lowest price, but their return policy is not as stellar. I have not had very good experiences with on-line auctions.
Old 08-10-00, 07:19 AM

Try www.soundpros.com

The service is great and very fast. The prices aren't too bad either. From reading other newsgroups these guys are very good and I found them to be very helpful.
Old 08-10-00, 08:20 PM
ed

I can also vouch for onecall.com. I've purchased two high end SVHS VCR's and a DVD player there. Good service and they price match most items.
Old 08-11-00, 12:27 AM

I second, or third Onecall.com, i just recieved a Kenwood DD/DTS Reciever yesterday, nice service, good price...
Check out http://www.dealtime.com ,
it looks for the best prices in electronics etc. all over the net and gives you the BEST price. Once you get the best price, call up ONECALL's 1800 number, and pricematch it!
Old 08-11-00, 12:38 AM

http://www.audiosurvey.com/amos.html

This site has ratings of various vendors, as well as lists of the brands that they carry. VERY helpful (I've bought about $6k in theater equipment (not including DVDs, of course ) online in the last year, and referenced this site often.
Old 08-11-00, 04:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I have always been reluctant to buy hardware on line. The only things I have bought online are my Dreamcast which is Japanese and I had to buy online, and my computer which is a DELL.

------------------
MY SHORT BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

"The earth does not belong to people; people belong to the earth. Everything that happens to the earth happens also to the sons and daughters of the earth." -Chief Seattle.
Old 08-11-00, 10:34 AM
AW

Go to SoundCity. I would call them rather than using their web site, since they will generally give you better prices if you ask. I have always had good experiences with Joe at Ext. 708.