Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Need a home DVD player

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Need a home DVD player

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-00, 06:00 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm in the market for a dvd player. My home CD player died yesterday so I figure I might as well get a dvd/cd player. Any recommendations are welcome. I don't need the top of the line stuff. Maybe 200-300 would be about right.
Thanks
Old 08-08-00, 06:19 PM

Pioneer DV333
Old 08-08-00, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

sony 560 (or 360 if you don't need a decoder)

also comes w/ coupon for 2 dvds for about $5 with no commitment from columbia house.

[This message has been edited by xcheckers (edited August 08, 2000).]
Old 08-08-00, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you don't have a DD/DTS receiver yet look at the Toshiba SD-6109 DVD player/receiver. It runs right around $300. Onkyo makes the same model, but I don't remember the model number.

If you just need a DVD player and will be using it for cd's too try a 5 disc model. I picked up a Panasonic C-220 for $235 on the net a few months back.
Old 08-08-00, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Go with Sony, Pioneer or Toshiba. They seem to make the best and most software compatible players. I would say Sony is the best of the three.

------------------
MY SHORT BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

"The earth does not belong to people; people belong to the earth. Everything that happens to the earth happens also to the sons and daughters of the earth." -Chief Seattle.
Old 08-08-00, 08:56 PM
Cool New Member

i don't think you can go wrong with any of the main brands. i own the sony dvp360.
Old 08-08-00, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

greg, in general you are right, but Tosh has a firmware issue where certain discs won't play porperly. Have not had that problem w/Sony .. Not sure about pioneer (haven't heard of any)

The thread on tosh issues is not far from this thread right now
Old 08-10-00, 12:44 AM
Cool New Member

It depends on what cd's you play . The Sony models which I have one the( 360) will not play any rewrite cds The Pioneer dv333 plays them all. I don't think you can go wrong with these 2 brands.
Old 08-10-00, 10:22 AM
Cool New Member

YEs, I need it to be compatible with CD-r's. CDRW's would be nice but not necessary. And I would like it to hold at least 5 discs. But I don;t need a 200+ holder.
I saw a Sony 650 for 499.99. Is this a nice dvd player? Will it play cdr's/rw's?
And my receiver is a technics older model pro-logic receiver. Does it have to be DTS or could it possibly not work with the built in decoder card? It's alittle more than I wanted to spend but I may be willing to fork out the extra $$$$. Any other recommendations? They didn't have the Pioneer 333.
Old 08-10-00, 10:25 AM

what about the Phillips DVD players?? Aren't they nice DVD players as well?

------------------
If i had a tumor, I'd name it Kristen....
Old 08-10-00, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

None of the current Sony's will play CD-Rs.Only the earlier models from about two years ago of which I have one (DVP-S300). Of the current DVD players only ones I know that will play CD-Rs are the Pioneers.

------------------
MY SHORT BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

"The earth does not belong to people; people belong to the earth. Everything that happens to the earth happens also to the sons and daughters of the earth." -Chief Seattle.
Old 08-11-00, 02:19 AM
Cool New Member

The Pioneer DV-C302D is a 3 DVD/CD changer it plays CD-R and CDRWS. The major stores like bestbuy are now selling the pioneer 333. As far as your technics older model pro-logic receiver It should do ok for your CDs. However to get the digital sound for your dvds you will need to upgrade to a digital receiver. Since you would be willing to pay $499.00 for the Sony. Why don,t you but a low end ( not low quality) digital receiver the (kenwood 407 ,Jvc 6500) are two that are got good reports and buy the Pioneer 333. Online buying should get you the two for very close to the same price. Again the Pioneer dvd players are the only ones that I know that will play CD-R and cdrws.