Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Sony DVD Player

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-00, 04:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If anyone could help me it would be greatly appreiciated. I am looking to buy a dvd player. Ive been looking at the Sony 530,550, and 560. I dont understand the differences and why they are priced all differently. Anyone know which is the best to buy? Thanks
Old 08-08-00, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

560... it's the newest model (generation)...
Old 08-08-00, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have a Sony DVD player (I believe it's the 530) and I've never had a problem with it.
Old 08-08-00, 07:46 PM

Ar,

Just to let you know, I have a Sony 530 and a Panasonic 320. The Sony is okay, but the Panasonic is better. The remote is better, it has more functions, DTS, and no synch problems, which I think the Sony 530 and 550 have/had. Also, I know someone who bought an Onkyo and loves it. I used to be a BIG Sony fan, but it seems like they are not building the same quality like they used. Of course, I have no proof, just comparison of certain things.....I do love my WEGA though, so who knows. Anyway, I'd skip the Sony and go for the Panasonic, IMHO. That's my preference.

Peace,

Morley
Old 08-08-00, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

1) they have fixed the lip synch issue... (long ago)

2) SOny quality is about the best. A lot of those panny's were burning out quickly though I have a friend who likes his...
Old 08-08-00, 09:14 PM

I have the Sony 560 and love it. It is the newer one and it also put an end to some bugs the early ones had.

I suggest you go to audioreview.com and read what has to be said.

JUST STAY AWAY FROM JVC
Old 08-08-00, 11:29 PM

I HAVE A SONY 550 AND LOVE IT VERY MUCH,I NEVER HAD ANY BUG RELATED PROBLEMS AS THEY MAY SAY WITH MY DVD PLAYER AT ALL.I'M STILL OLD FASHION IN THAT IT WILL ONLY PLAY ONE, COUNT IT , ONE DISK AT A TIME AND NOT MULTIPBLE DISK AS THE 650 OR 850.AS FOR MULTIPBLE STORAGE OF DISK INSIDE OF THE PLAYER I WOULD RATHER DISPLAY MINE ON A SELF!PLUS IT PLAYS WONDERFULLY ON MY 36XBR WEGA, I'M NOT ONE OF THOSE HIGH TECH GUYS BUT DO ENJOY QUALITY EQUIPMENT AT AFORDABLE PRICES BUT TO EACH HER OR HIS OWN "TRY TO ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVEiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii"
Old 08-08-00, 11:55 PM
Banned

I had a Sony 330 for 6 months and it started acting up. BB sent it off and Sony sent me a 360. The problem with the 330 was turning the power on. It would take 5 minutes sometimes. The power switch on the 360 is different. Hopefully I won't have any problems with the 360. Other than the power problem I have been happy. I like Sony, even though I just bought a Panasonic tv.

Jonathan

------------------
Less than 5 bucks a disc, check out the list!
Old 08-09-00, 01:04 AM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by xcheckers:
1) they have fixed the lip synch issue... (long ago)

2) SOny quality is about the best. A lot of those panny's were burning out quickly though I have a friend who likes his...
<HR>

1) Ah....I never had that problem with mine, but heard about it and didn't know they solved that problem. Sorry for the mis info.

2) They burn out????? Hmmm...I guess I can see why, there are no vents anywhere. So far mine hasn't, I'll keep that in mind. The remote is SO user friendly. And the Spatializer technology is amazing. My 530 only has 2 FF and RW speeds, the Panasonic has 5 each. Of course, xcheckers, no I'm going to be sniffing everytime I pop a DVD in the Panasonic!

So, if the Panasonics are burning out, I guess I should switch my vote to the Sony. They both have served me well, albeit, the Pan has served me better.

Peace,

Morley
Old 08-09-00, 02:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Have the 360 and its excellent. Only flaw is its a bit noisy (disc spinning), but I don't notice it any more.
Old 08-09-00, 10:58 AM
AW

Go with the Sony -- Panasonics have a long history of laser assembly problems (resulting in "no disc" errors). I have a Sony DVP-S3000 and a Panasonic DVD-L10 and, while I have occasional "no disc" problems witrh the Panasonis, I never have any problems with the Sony. Also, Sony's have better anamorphic downconversion.
Old 08-09-00, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Morley,

Don't worry too much. If you have had it a while you are probably past the major risk period. My friend has been lucky too. For someone with 5.1 inputs who wants cheap DTS capability it's a very viable option. One I recommended to my dad since he has everything but a DVD Player and 5.1/DTS decoders.

However, for picture quality and reliability long term Sony is tops in my book. For others, I just wish they would make a player with both decoders in it... Personally, mine are in the receiver, so I just use the 330 (without decoders)

Old 08-09-00, 01:21 PM

I have a Sony 560 my first DVD Player. I'm very happy with it. I think you would enjoy this one.

Jim
Old 08-10-00, 12:34 AM
Cool New Member

Why don't you go to SONY'S site check the models out there I have the 360 I like it. I belive that the 560D has a digital decoder in it. Thats whats additional on that model. You might want to look at the Pioneer 333 model Its replaces the 525 model. The pioneer 333 and Sony 360 are the low end models for their lines. Don't pay a lot of money for something you will replace in 2 years.
In 2 yrs you should be able to buy a progresive recording dvd player.