Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Toxic Avenger (W/D: Macon Blair) - S: Dinklage

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-10, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jesus fucking Christ indeed.

Originally Posted by Deadline Hollywood Daily
Get ready for a movie makeover for The Toxic Avenger, the anti-hero who became the beachhead mutant in a Troma Films schlock heyday that included such 1980s classics as Surf Nazis Must Die, Rabid Grannies and Stuff Stephanie in the Incinerator. Toxie, as the mop-wielding character is affectionately called, is at the center of a remake deal for a film that will be produced by Akiva Goldsman, Richard Saperstein and Charlie Corwin. Corwin's Original Media, a partnership with Dutch reality TV giant Endemol, has financed the acquisition of rights to a franchise that includes four sequels, an animated TV series and comic books. Original Media will finance the development of a script, with writers to be hired shortly.

The group intends to turn Toxie into a green superhero for these environmentally conscious times.

The original film was directed by Troma founders Lloyd Kaufman and Michael Herz and has become something of a campy classic. It revolved around Tromaville Health Club mop boy Melvin, a gentle wimp whose trusting ways made him easy prey for gym thugs and eventually got him immersed in a vat of toxic waste. The radioactive swill transformed Melvin into Toxie, a misshapen superhero who wreaks havoc on polluters in New Jersey and whose improved muscle tone improved his standing with the chicks. The remake will be mounted as a family friendly PG-13 action comedy akin to The Mask, which Saperstein worked on when he was a New Line exec. It's his second Troma remake property, as Saperstein is teamed with Brett Ratner on a Mother's Day redo that was directed by Darren Bousman.
SOURCE

So let me get this straight ...

1) Lloyd Kaufman and Michael Herz must be in some sort of grand debt.
2) Avika "The Hack" Goldsman is involved.
3) Family friendly PG-13 comedy?

Ugh. I guess that Toxic Avenger sequel Troma had "in the works" will never happen now.
Old 04-06-10, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
re: The Toxic Avenger (W/D: Macon Blair) - S: Dinklage

Old 04-06-10, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Lloyd Kaufman: opportunist? Never!

Riot,

You know it's a sad day when you need to keep that smilie on hand for quick copy/paste use.
Old 04-06-10, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Not a fan but this already happened in the early '90's when they made the FoxKids cartoon and the Sega Genesis game for kids.
Old 04-06-10, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

Oh, no. That's terrible. A green superhero? Wouldn't Captain Planet work better?
Old 04-06-10, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by gmanca
Not a fan but this already happened in the early '90's when they made the FoxKids cartoon and the Sega Genesis game for kids.
True, but Troma also had Part II and III come out around the same time-ish. Then there was last decade's Citizen Toxie, and to a certain extent, Terror Firmer.

If Bousman is allowed to make a hard-R rated remake to Mother's Day, can't we get something similar for Toxie?
Old 04-06-10, 10:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by gmanca
And a Marvel Comic and action figures to boot.
Old 04-06-10, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Lloyd Kaufman has an account on this forum, I think. Not sure if he actually reads regularly. I remember that he posted in Troma threads before. I'd love to hear him weigh in on this.

That sounds great, as long as it gets a good treatment. I hope that they somehow preserve the original Toxie feel. Something seems awesome about a big-budgeted Troma movie.
Old 04-07-10, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by troystiffler
That sounds great, as long as it gets a good treatment. I hope that they somehow preserve the original Toxie feel. Something seems awesome about a big-budgeted Troma movie.
You mean Crank and Crank 2? Actually, I'd be down if Neveldine/Taylor directed a remake, but based off what happened on Jonah Hex, that'll probably be a no-go.

Remember, it's PG-13. No Troma film should ever be PG-13.
Old 04-07-10, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Will it really be through Troma? I don't see any mention of Kaufman or Herz as part of this new project, nor Troma's name. I imagine Troma will still go through with their Part V, and in the meantime, Hollywood is working on this other version.

I imagine most people will think it's based on the cartoon/Genesis game.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (04-14-21)
Old 04-07-10, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Will it still be significantly rapey and kiddie-killing?
Old 04-07-10, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Booooo
Hissss
Old 04-08-10, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
I imagine Troma will still go through with their Part V, and in the meantime, Hollywood is working on this other version.
Yes, this will still be made.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (04-14-21)
Old 04-11-10, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 05-13-13, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Jesus fucking Christ times 2.

Originally Posted by Deadline
Action superstar Arnold Schwarzenegger (TERMINATOR series, TOTAL RECALL) is in negotiations to star in writer/director Steve Pink’s (HOT TUB TIME MACHINE 1 & 2) big budget action comedy THE TOXIC AVENGER produced by Akiva Goldsman (CONSTANTINE, I AM LEGEND, MR AND MRS SMITH), Richard Saperstein (HANCOCK, 1408, SE7EN), Charlie Corwin (HALF NELSON, THE SQUID AND THE WHALE), Stephen Kessler and Michael Benaroya (LAWLESS, MARGIN CALL). Lloyd Kaufman and Michael Herz will executive produce. The announcement was made today by International Film Trust’s (IFT) President Ariel Veneziano who will handle all international rights to the film alongside IFT’s Head of Sales Christian de Gallegos.

Set to be introduced to buyers at Cannes 2013, THE TOXIC AVENGER is currently in pre-production and scheduled to start principal photography this fall.

Loosely based on Lloyd Kaufman’s classic Troma franchise, THE TOXIC AVENGER is the tale of a high-school kid who gets dunked in a vat of toxic waste by a corrupt chemical company. He survives the ordeal with one major side effect: upon contact with toxic chemicals, he transforms into a monster with superhuman strength. Schwarzenegger would play “the Exterminator,” a former black ops agent, who trains Toxie to use his powers for good. Together they take on the lurking menace created by the polluters, and the polluters themselves.

“Moviegoers around the world were thrilled when Arnold Schwarzenegger returned to acting so effortlessly filling the gap that he left behind,” said producer and IFT co-founder Michael Benaroya. “He is the ultimate action hero with a natural comedic versatility and will be pitch perfect in The Toxic Avenger.”

“Our film is a perfect combination of commercial genre, star power and award winning filmmakers to set it apart from other titles on offer at Cannes this year. The Toxic Avenger is a blockbuster in waiting with franchise potential. The buyers will love it,” said IFT President Ariel Veneziano.
Source
Old 05-13-13, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know it says it's from Deadline, but this has to be an Onion article, right? RIGHT!?
Old 05-13-13, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh my.
Old 12-10-18, 05:53 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Legendary Entertainment has acquired feature film rights to The Toxic Avenger, with a reboot of the iconic Troma horror franchise in the works. Original directors Lloyd Kaufman and Michael Herz of Kaufman’s iconic b-movie studio Troma Entertainment will serve as producers on the new film.

The Toxic Avenger centers on Toxie, born when the mild-mannered Melvin from Tromaville, NJ, falls into a vat of toxic waste. He’s transformed into a repulsive-yet-lovable mutant hero who stands up to bullies and corruption with irreverent zeal.

The original film premiered in 1984 starring Mitch Cohen as Toxie. It spawned three sequel films, a stage musical, a children’s cartoon TV series and a Marvel comic.

Alex Garcia and Jay Ashenfelter will oversee the film for Legendary.
https://deadline.com/2018/12/toxic-a...RkF5nCbzX9zSsw
Old 03-21-19, 03:53 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Macon Blair has been tapped to write and direct Legendary’s reboot of the cult classic “The Toxic Avenger,” sources tell Variety.

Legendary acquired the feature film rights in December and have quickly made the project a high priority at the studio. Lloyd Kaufman and Michael Herz of Troma Entertainment will serve as producers with Alex Garcia and Jay Ashenfelter overseeing for Legendary.

Kaufman and Herz produced the original 1984 comedy, set in the fictional town of Tromaville, N.J., and centered on a mild-mannered janitor at a health club who’s chased out a second story window by bullies and lands in a drum of toxic waste. The chemicals cause him to transform into the Toxic Avenger, who has superhuman size and strength and stands up to bullies and corruption.

“The Toxic Avenger” became successful after a long run as a midnight movie in New York City, leading to the sequels “The Toxic Avenger Part II,” “The Toxic Avenger Part III: The Last Temptation of Toxie,” and “Citizen Toxie: The Toxic Avenger IV.” The property also became a stage musical production, a children’s cartoon TV series, and a Marvel comic.

Blair, who spent the first half the decade in front of the camera in films like “Blue Ruin” and “Green Room,” recently moved behind the lens starting with his directorial debut, ” I Don’t Feel At Home in This World Anymore.” It had its world premiere at the Sundance Film Festival and won the Grand Jury Prize following rave reviews. He also starred and co-wrote “Small Crimes” and wrote Jeremy Saulnier’s “Hold the Dark.”

He is repped by CAA, Anonymous Content and Cohen & Gardner.
https://variety.com/2019/film/news/m...ot-1203169334/
Old 03-21-19, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

Does it really take nearly 10yrs to reboot Toxic Avenger?
Old 03-21-19, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

That is not what I want to see out of Macon Blair.
Old 03-22-19, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Macon Blair!
Old 03-22-19, 08:05 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The only good thing about the Toxic Avenger was the cartoon like extreme violence , over the top characters/acting and unusual sex scenes

Any deviation from this aint Toxic avenger, call it something else
Old 02-04-20, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts

I just watched this for the first time last night since I was a teenager. My partner hadn't seen it, and I thought maybe this would start a Troma marathon, since amazon prime has a lot of their stuff. Err.. nope. I seem to remember it being WAY more violent, funnier, grosser, etc ... There just wasn't as much shock value as I remembered. It was just weird. Like WTF weird. The most entertaining bit for me was just watching the gym goers working out in the background. Just fucking bizarre. Gyms weren't like that in the 80s were they?
Old 02-05-20, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Bizarre is a good word for Troma. The movies take place in a different world. They make me feel uneasy while watching, and that feel typically sticks around with me for anywhere between a few hours and a day.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.