Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

12-year old movie critic is actually quite awesome.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-10, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

http://lights-camera-jackson.com

I know when I was 12, I thought a lot of crap was awesome.

If this kid is honestly writing all this stuff, I say, bravo and that it's good to know there are kids out there who don't buy into the hype of a lot of the garbage marketed to them.
Old 04-06-10, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: 12-year old movie critic is actually quite awesome.

Originally Posted by a 12-year old movie critic
It was shot in 2D, then converted to 3D. But "Clash of the Titans" can be summed-up with just 1D, and that stands for DISASTER.
Well, at least he's not comparing movies to male genetalia or orgasms like Harry Knowles tends to.
Old 04-06-10, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Wow. I didn't find this place and turn into a totally fartsy-douchebag moviegoer. Good goin, kid! It's cool when you're young. Quite tiring and lame when you're older.

Several years ago, there was a young kid that wrote Roger Ebert about Eyes Wide Shut. He was complaining about the NC-17 rating. I apparently haven't forgotten about that it. This reminds me of the same thing.
Old 04-06-10, 05:05 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

what exactly was the kid complaining about the rating?
Old 04-06-10, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

This kid gave The Simpsons Movie a higher rating that Toy Story.

The kid is, well, a kid.
Old 04-06-10, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by E. Honda
This kid gave The Simpsons Movie a higher rating that Toy Story.

The kid is, well, a kid.
Yeah, I saw that, but in the actual review he says the A is for fans of the Simpsons, while for non fans it's a B, and he does have a good point about Toy Story 1 and 2, they are the same basic plot, only Toy Story 2 is bigger and more polished.
Old 04-07-10, 01:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
Yeah, I saw that, but in the actual review he says the A is for fans of the Simpsons, while for non fans it's a B, and he does have a good point about Toy Story 1 and 2, they are the same basic plot, only Toy Story 2 is bigger and more polished.
Toy Story 1 is a buddy film and 2 is a road trip film. Themes might be similar but that's it. I don't think the kid knows what theme is.

His review of Alice in Wonderland is pretty bad. A depressing movie? Really? I know it's not perfect but it's a semi sequel and most of the story is about Alice maturing while she could not by living in a society of pompous high class brats. It's not an awful film at all, I wouldn't say it's great. I thought it was fun and I knew it wasn't going to be the book because it was a semi sequel.

And he gave the Tooth Fairy a B wow.

I highly doubt the kid's writing it anyway and in that video he comes off as an annoying twit.
Old 04-07-10, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

He's a little incorrect in describing why "Clash of the Titans" has shit 3D. It has nothing to do with that it was done in post conversion, "Alice in Wonderland" was done in post conversion and it's 3D was decent. It's because they converted the film to 3D in 8 weeks, and it normally takes 6 months to a year to make a 2D movie 3D (According to James Cameron). But because he's twelve I'll cut him a little slack.

Oh, he gave "Alvin and the Chipmunks", "A Christmas Carol" and "Tinker Bell" a higher rating then AVATAR, I agree with E. Honda, he's just a kid.

Last edited by Blu Man; 04-07-10 at 08:39 AM.
Old 04-07-10, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Blu Man
He's a little incorrect in describing why "Clash of the Titans" has shit 3D. It has nothing to do with that it was done in post conversion, "Alice in Wonderland" was done in post conversion and it's 3D was decent. It's because they converted the film to 3D in 8 weeks, and it normally takes 6 months to a year to make a 2D movie 3D (According to James Cameron). But because he's twelve I'll cut him a little slack.
That's not really true. A post-converted film will always be sub-standard to films shot natively in 3-D like Cameron did for "Avatar." One of my complaints about "Alice" is that the 3-D shots felt gimmicky; that's I didn't encounter with "Avatar" which used the 3-D for depth rather than things sweeping out of the screen.

Being able to spend months or a year converting to 3-D will obviously lead to a better project than a film that's rushed out the door, but it's technically impossible for it be as good as one shot with native 3-D cameras.
Old 04-07-10, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Eh, I'll just say I work at the station where he does his TV reviews....and I don't enjoy it at all.

Last edited by Quack; 04-07-10 at 01:38 PM.
Old 04-07-10, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

Didn't everyone give Year One a "shitty grade"?
Old 04-07-10, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

After reading some of the stuff on that site, there's no way he's writing it without adult input. How many twelve year-olds know what a demigod is?
Old 04-07-10, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by BJacks
After reading some of the stuff on that site, there's no way he's writing it without adult input. How many twelve year-olds know what a demigod is?
Eh, he could have gotten that word from the press materials for all we know.
Old 04-07-10, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,821 Likes on 1,222 Posts

Dude, I was playing D & D when I was 11. You bet a 12-year-old could know what a demigod is ...

Old 04-07-10, 05:22 PM

Wow, he has some skills tbh!
That video interview... wow he shows some good talent for a tv presenter!
Old 04-07-10, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That's not really true. A post-converted film will always be sub-standard to films shot natively in 3-D like Cameron did for "Avatar." One of my complaints about "Alice" is that the 3-D shots felt gimmicky; that's I didn't encounter with "Avatar" which used the 3-D for depth rather than things sweeping out of the screen.

Being able to spend months or a year converting to 3-D will obviously lead to a better project than a film that's rushed out the door, but it's technically impossible for it be as good as one shot with native 3-D cameras.
Well, of course. I wasn't trying to imply that I thought 2D conversions could be as good as native 3D films. But no one really insulted "Alice's" 3D like they did "Clash of the Titans" (other then that it felt like a gimmick). My point was that just because it was a 3D conversion doesn't always mean it will be bad 3D. If it did I doubt Cameron would spend so much time converting "Titanic", but "Clash of the Titans" was so horrible because of the rush job.
Old 04-07-10, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wonder if his mom puts out?
Old 04-07-10, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Didn't everyone give Year One a "shitty grade"?
Yea, pretty much. I remember that Ebert was a little apathetic and took a paragraph or two to comment on how Harold Ramis is a really nice guy and the script probably seemed like a good idea. But it was a one star review. And it was the most flattering that I saw.
Old 04-07-10, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by troystiffler
Yea, pretty much. I remember that Ebert was a little apathetic and took a paragraph or two to comment on how Harold Ramis is a really nice guy and the script probably seemed like a good idea. But it was a one star review. And it was the most flattering that I saw.
I have no idea how that movie went wrong, Apatow produced, Ramis directed, and the cast is superb or the cameos you can say and the writers of the Office.