Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

American Idol, Top 9, April 6/7 Lennon / McCartney Week

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Who will be going home this week?
Aaron Kelly
16.67%
Andrew Garcia
55.56%
Casey James
0%
Crystal Bowersox
0%
Katie Stevens
0%
Lee Dewyze
0%
Michael Lynche
16.67%
Siobhan Magnus
5.56%
"Teflon" Tim Urban
5.56%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-06-10, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, it's Lennon / McCartney week on American Idol, the second time it's been done (the last time being two years ago).

I haven't seen any word on who will be performing on Wednesday.

So... who will be going home this week?

And here is an interesting article, the Top 10 best-selling 'American Idols'. The link has a discussion on each of the people.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36126063...nt-reality_tv/
Top 10 best-selling ‘American Idols’
1. Carrie Underwood — 10.5 million albums sold
2. Kelly Clarkson — 10.4 million albums sold
3. Chris Daughtry — 5.3 million albums sold
4. Clay Aiken — 4.9 million albums sold
5. Ruben Studdard — 2.5 million albums sold
6. Fantasia Barrino — 2.3 million albums sold
7. David Cook — 1.3 million albums sold
8. Jordin Sparks — 1.2 million albums sold (tie)
8. Kellie Pickler — 1.2 million albums sold (tie)
10. David Archuleta — 962,000 albums sold
And despite word of it's decline, American Idol is still dominating the Nielsen ratings:
Prime-time Nielsen ratings
For the week of March 22-28
1. "American Idol" (Tuesday), Fox, 24.21 million.
2. "Dancing With the Stars," ABC, 24.19 million.
3. "American Idol" (Wednesday), Fox, 21.44 million.
4. "Undercover Boss," CBS, 16.72 million.
5. "60 Minutes," CBS, 14.49 million.
6. "Two and a Half Men," CBS, 14.46 million.
7. "The Big Bang Theory," CBS, 13.42 million.
8. "NCIS," CBS, 13.04 million.
9. "The Amazing Race," CBS, 12.73 million.
10. "Castle," ABC, 12.21 million.

Last edited by Heat; 04-06-10 at 08:49 AM.
Old 04-06-10, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 369 Likes on 263 Posts
Re: American Idol, Top 9, April 6/7 Lennon / McCartney Week

I hope someone does Frank Sinatra's favorite Lennon/McCartney song: "Something."
Old 04-06-10, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Heat

I haven't seen any word on who will be performing on Wednesday.
In what's become a Season 9 tradition, another "American Idol" alumnus will return to the stage that launched his career. Season 7 runner-up David Archuleta performs on Wednesday's elimination episode, joining Rihanna, who was previously announced, and newcomer Jason Derülo, who counts "Idol" judge Kara DioGuardi as one of his mentors.

Archie will reprise his show-stopping version of John Lennon's "Imagine" in honor of the show's Lennon-McCartney theme. Rihanna will deliver "Te Amo," and Derülo will perform his latest single, "In My Head."

Tune in Wednesday at 9 p.m. to see these performances and find out who's going home.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/amer...wednesday.html
Old 04-06-10, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 134 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
I hope someone does Frank Sinatra's favorite Lennon/McCartney song: "Something."
Old 04-06-10, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Nice.
Old 04-06-10, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Lee sang "Hey Jude," but the whole thing felt more like "Helter Skelter" to me.
Old 04-06-10, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Aaron Kelly - That was ponderous. Just grateful it was over.

Katie Stevens - it was good, solid performance, but it didn't quite wow me.

Andrew Garcia - Karoake Idol has a new front runner, too bad he just doesn't have a recording voice.

Michael Lynche - didn't much care for the R&B riff on this song.

Crystal Bowersox - an off night for crystal, but she did offer a pre-emptive excuse, and even on an off night, she's got more chops than most of the remaining contestants.

Tim Urban - he needed that diggery-doo guy because he gave a really fluffy performance, needed to up the tempo a bit more, as well.

Casey James - and the goaty vibratto is back. Blech! The performance might be a cure of insomnia, though.

Siobahn Magnus - crap the tempo was slower than molasses rolling uphill. Zzzz....

Lee DeWyze - might have made a misstep with the Scottish bagpipe dude hogging half the stage with him, but it was a typical DeWyze performance, but without the hesitation or self-doubt.
Old 04-06-10, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I love The Beatles.I did not enjoy the show very much tonight.
Old 04-07-10, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I completely missed tonights show, was working getting some work done on my old house that I still own. I'm voting for Andrew Garcia again, one of these week I will be right.

It is kind of funny that Tim Urban is still around, remember that he was the one that was cut in Hollywood, but was then called back when Golightly was cut because of a suspected existing contract which turned out to be false. So Urban wasn't even supposed to be in the Top 24 but he's outlasted 15 of the Top 24 so far.
Old 04-07-10, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sorry to ask something off topic, but I haven't really watched the show since Kelly Clarkson won.

So, I don't know anything other than what I read in some entertainment blogs that typically mention the show and rate the performers and how they did each week.

However, Letterman has been having the "cast-off" on his show for 3 weeks now and each of them have been women. I heard that this season the women were stronger for a change. I guess that's not the case.

But this DiDi girl seems to have a really nice voice. Is she really worse than the 9 remaining idol contestants, because if she's truly the 10th best, they must have some really good singers on this show this season and maybe I'm missing out?
Old 04-07-10, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 180 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
However, Letterman has been having the "cast-off" on his show for 3 weeks now and each of them have been women. I heard that this season the women were stronger for a change. I guess that's not the case.

But this DiDi girl seems to have a really nice voice. Is she really worse than the 9 remaining idol contestants, because if she's truly the 10th best, they must have some really good singers on this show this season and maybe I'm missing out?
Nah ... I think it's more a case of many AI voters not having a sense of good music. If anything, this season feels overall kind of weak to me. I think the fact that women are getting voted off has more to do with AI's viewing demographics than any gender difference in the quality of the vocalists. That is, the housewives and girls like to keep their favorite guys on the show regardless of how they sing. How else to explain the continued presence of guys like Tim Urban and Andrew Garcia?
Old 04-07-10, 03:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You've got to love dvr and it's ability to turn a 2 hour marathon into an episode of The Simpsons. I thought they were all pretty shitty except for Mike and Crystal. I'm thinking Aaron (had to scroll up to find his name) has to finally be going home. It really doesn't matter though, because Crystal already won this thing months ago.
Old 04-07-10, 04:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think Katie did a very good job but for the show overall I found myself falling asleep. This title of this thread should read Lennon/McCartney WeAk!
Old 04-07-10, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm giving props to Casey this week, for choosing more of an obscure song, making it is own, and showing a connection to it. I thought he sounded really good.

The rest all chose obvious songs, and most were soooo boring and sleepy. Crystal and Lee at least put energy and conviction to their singing. So did Big Mike, but he is such a cheeseball he doesnt count.
Old 04-07-10, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Aaron Kelly - He never really found the tempo and forced his "country-ness" into it. Not good.

Katie Stevens - For a girl they keep telling not to be so old fashion and act her age...she sure don't listen.

Andrew Garcia - If this guy has a range beyond a single octave I haven't heard it yet.

Michael Lynche - Hate him personally but he's a great singer.

Crystal Bowersox - Loved the "Black Horse and Cherry Tree" vibe to it, a cool performance.

Tim Urban - Truthfully, for Tim, pretty darn good.

Casey James - Haunting, amazing performance. Definitely his best and one of the best of the season.

Siobahn Magnus - Hated it.

Lee DeWyze - Loved the confidence, not a huge fan of the arrangement, but he's growing into himself dog.

Anyway, it's a testament to the quality of this season that this is only the 15th post at noon EST the day after the performances.
Old 04-07-10, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I wish we could fast forward to when it's just Crystal, Casey, Lee, and Michael left.
Old 04-07-10, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

My bottom three - Tim, Katie and Andrew, with Andrew going home.
Old 04-07-10, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by starman9000
I wish we could fast forward to when it's just Crystal, Casey, Lee, and Michael left.
These are by far the best contestants this year. They all sing well and they show some energy on the stage. It may not always be perfect, but they do have a lot to offer.

Aaron and Katie are too unseasoned. In a couple of years, they'll probably be decent, but they're out of their league right now. Siobhan's talented, but needs someone to help rein in things for her. Andrew is better suited to being a frontman for a quirky band like OK Go. Tim would be great as the new lead for some High School Musical-type movie.

Truthfully, this season isn't any worse than S6 but the producers have fiddled with the show so much. They've taken away any protection they would have had to cover up for a somewhat diluted talent pool.
Old 04-07-10, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Patman

Tim Urban - he needed that diggery-doo guy because he gave a really fluffy performance, needed to up the tempo a bit more, as well.
Actually, Crystal was the one that had the diggery-doo guy backing her!

I guess the only ones I care about at this point are Crystal and Siobahn. Casey, despite sounding like the male Carmen Rasmussen, did do a nice rendition of a John Lennon solo tune. I guess there weren't any rules about whether these had to be songs by The Beatles.
Old 04-07-10, 01:47 PM

I enjoyed Crystal's "Come Together" despite the ailment.
Siobahn's "ATU" was a bit sleepy, but not a disaster. I wonder what she would have done with "Helter Skelter"! She chose to go soft, so, I'm hoping she's still in the game so she gets to reprise her wild side.

I'm actually surprised Big Mike didn't perform the Ray Charles arrangement of "Eleanor Rigby". That probably would have worked better than trying to do a slicker-sounding version of the original.

Didn't care for Tim Urban or Katie Stevens at all. I don't know what the judges are hearing. Aaron Kelly looks like another Archuleta to me. Anyone catch Simon rolling his eyes at Kelly's explanation?

Lee's version of "Hey Jude" would have sucked just as much without the bagpipes. The bagpipes just made it twice as pretentious.

Andrew's "Can't Buy Me Love" wasn't awesome, but I thought it sounded better than what everyone else said. At least he kept the bluesy aspect of it intact.

Last edited by HUG-H; 04-07-10 at 02:14 PM.
Old 04-07-10, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
...Letterman has been having the "cast-off" on his show for 3 weeks now and each of them have been women. I heard that this season the women were stronger for a change. I guess that's not the case.

Yes, very stupid that America voted-off Didi Benami, and, much earlier on, Lilly Scott. It probably is demographics, because I guess most people that have a better sense of artistry and good taste simply don't watch American Idol other than those of us here. I can only speak for me, and basically I admit it's a guilty pleasure, and I should know better than to see if a really GOOD performer with integrity is actually going to let American Idol have their backs.

Didi, BTW, did a really nice job on Letterman last night (Anyone know what song that was? Was it an original?). She's supposed to be on Ellen Degeneres's show Thurs.
I sort of miss Leno having the Idol cast-offs on his old Tonight Show doing the reduxs of the Geico commercials, but that was when his show was funny.

Last edited by HUG-H; 04-08-10 at 12:11 PM.
Old 04-07-10, 02:20 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Loved the random bagpipe guy. I couldn't stop laughing.
Old 04-07-10, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Loved the show last night, thought it was the best overall show of the year.

Some of the singers did some very creative twist on the Beattles songs.

Bottom Three:
Tim
Aaron
Andrew

I say Tim is on his way out, no big deal, he would never win the whole thing.
Old 04-07-10, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by HUG-H
Actually, Crystal was the one that had the diggery-doo guy backing her!
What I was saying was that Tim needed that guy, not Crystal.
Old 04-07-10, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 182 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by HUG-H
Didi, BTW, did a really nice job on Letterman last night (Anyone know what song that was? Was it an original?). She's supposed to be on Ellen Degeneres's show Thurs.
I sort of miss Leno having the Idol cast-offs on his old Tonight Show doing the reduxs of the Geico commercials, but that was when he was funny.
She sang Terrified, the same Kara/Katharine McPhee song she sang during Hollywood week, and, yes, I thought she was terrific.

Leno hasn't been funny since the 80s, but that's just my opinion.

To answer dolphinboy's question...there WERE some really strong and interesting female contestants this year. Now, we're basically down to one and half (depending on which Siobhan shows up). The voting really screwed the pooch this year.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.