Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk > DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts
Reload this Page >

Sonny Chiba Action Pack and Winter Kills (2-disc) security stickers?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts Talk about DVD Cover Art, DVD Cases and DVD INSERTS

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-10, 04:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently purchased online the OOP Sonny Chiba Action Pack (BCI) and Winter Kills (2-disc Anchor Bay version). Both of which are supposed to be factory sealed, but neither had a security sticker. I'm hoping someone here who bought these or seen these can tell me if they had security stickers along the top of their cases? The Winter Kills has a slipcover, but the Sonny Chiba Action Pack is in a keepcase. The Sonny looks factory wrapped, but it seems strange to me that it has no security sticker. Thanks.
Old 04-06-10, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Sonny Chiba Action Pack and Winter Kills (2-disc) security stickers?

ive seen at least a few bci and anchor bay releases without any sort of top security sticker. youre prolly good
Old 04-06-10, 10:12 AM

Thanks for the info hindolio. I've also seen a lot of Paramount DVDs at Wal-Mart and Barnes & Noble without the security stickers.
Old 07-12-10, 10:12 AM

Sorry to ressurect this thread, but I have a similar question on security stickers. I bought two more OOP DVDs that were supposed to be factory sealed. They both had the top security stickers, but neither one matches others sealed DVDs from the releasing companies. The top sticker on the MGM DVD only says "WARNING! SECURITY DEVICE ENCLOSED", and has the DVD symbol. Yet my other sealed MGMs all have the title of the film on the top sticker, along with two generic security stickers on the side and bottom. The latter two stickers are absent on this DVD. The other DVD is another OOP Anchor Bay. Again the top sticker doesn't have the film's title, and reads "SECURITY DEVICE ENCLOSED", with the DVD symbol next to the text. Both were bought from different sellers.
Has anyone ever seen new MGM or Anchor Bay DVDs with such generic stickers only? These stickers seem similar to ones sold by the roll on many online sites.
Old 07-12-10, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

^ if you purchased either from one of the big sellers on greedbay or amazon (especially piece of mind media), there is a possibility that you received a used copy that was resealed to make it look new. unfortunately, this has been occuring for a while now.

ive seen titles without strips, but ive yet to see a factory sealed title with a generic security strip on the top. imho, this is bad business and id suggest taking appropriate action in both purchases. good luck
Old 07-13-10, 10:02 PM

Thanks for the reply. I guess now everytime I order a supposedly new DVD I now have to ask about the exact writing on the security stickers. Red flags went up when I got that Anchor Bay, and I really wish I had acted at the time. It's too late now, but another lesson learned.

Last edited by RayJ; 07-13-10 at 10:03 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 07-14-10, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

^ im not sure why you are giving up just yet. im guessing you paid decent money for oop disks that were supposed to be new. you did not receive what you paid for. why not try to take appropriate action against the seller for your sake and for the sake of future potential buyers?

perhaps you can give use more details here too? so we know what seller to avoid. and possibly give you further advice? if your purchased through amazon, even if through a marketplace seller, amazon will generally favor buyers.

if you purchased through greedbay, they and paypal might assist you.

if you paid by credit card in any case, you might even dispute the charge with your credit card company.

Old 07-14-10, 10:03 PM

I bought the Anchor Bay months back, but I only became supicious when I received the MGM with a similar sticker on top. I have taken appropiate action against the MGM DVD seller, but I don't want to name names. I suggest that even when they have a high rating on ebay or half.com, to send them an email with any questions you might have. That will be my policy for now on, no matter what their product description says, or how high their ratings are.