Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'The Six Degrees of Helter Skelter'

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 03-31-10, 10:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Jason Bailey's DVD review of The Six Degrees of Helter Skelter at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=40853 and... The movie does have a "home made" feel to it. I saw it advertised on Netflix and thought "what the heck". I started the movie and said, "oh no". The beginning is odd; but a few minutes into it and I was hooked. The narrator's knowledge about the subject is exceptional; he is interestingly weird (which he might admit). He communicates a genuine zeal for the subject which is infectious! He might be "all over the place", but that's what makes this movie different from (better than) some cheesy A&E documentary. The producers don't rely on file footage, instead they take you to the scenes (when possible) and and narrate from there---hence the home movie feel. It communicates more emotional impact (the Barker ranch was VERY spooky). I highly recommend this IF you are interested in the subject, or in true crime in general.

DON'T listen to the reviewer's comment about the crime scene photos being in poor taste. In reality, people have been saying things like that for decades, and people still love to hate seeing them. It makes it more personal, and reminds you that no matter the overtalk about the subject, that it was just horrific, brutal crimes committed on people in small locales. Forget about the "death of innocence, end of the hippie era, closing of the 60's" etc. The Manson family were essentially dope fueled hippies who wanted to destroy where they came from. This video shows that, by taking a number of detours on the way.

Highly recommended
Old 04-03-10, 06:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: DVD Talk review of 'The Six Degrees of Helter Skelter'

Originally Posted by Jeepnow
I read Jason Bailey's DVD review of The Six Degrees of Helter Skelter at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=40853 and... The movie does have a "home made" feel to it. I saw it advertised on Netflix and thought "what the heck". I started the movie and said, "oh no". The beginning is odd; but a few minutes into it and I was hooked. The narrator's knowledge about the subject is exceptional; he is interestingly weird (which he might admit). He communicates a genuine zeal for the subject which is infectious! He might be "all over the place", but that's what makes this movie different from (better than) some cheesy A&E documentary. The producers don't rely on file footage, instead they take you to the scenes (when possible) and and narrate from there---hence the home movie feel. It communicates more emotional impact (the Barker ranch was VERY spooky). I highly recommend this IF you are interested in the subject, or in true crime in general.

DON'T listen to the reviewer's comment about the crime scene photos being in poor taste. In reality, people have been saying things like that for decades, and people still love to hate seeing them. It makes it more personal, and reminds you that no matter the overtalk about the subject, that it was just horrific, brutal crimes committed on people in small locales. Forget about the "death of innocence, end of the hippie era, closing of the 60's" etc. The Manson family were essentially dope fueled hippies who wanted to destroy where they came from. This video shows that, by taking a number of detours on the way.

Highly recommended
I admit the documentary had some stuff in it that I had never heard before and found interesting, but the crime photos and other things about the film were so sleazy it really put me off. As long as people are warned about the crime photos and the kind of sick tone of the film it's probably worth a rental if you are interested in the Manson Family murders.