Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Sherlock Holmes'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-10, 12:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read David Walker's DVD review of Sherlock Holmes at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=42014 and...

would like to point out that, within the original stories, Holmes and Watson aren't that drastically changed vs. the movie. Watson has been portrayed as a bumbling idiot because it made Holmes look smarter, but in the stories, he often held his own, just not nearly as deductive.
Old 03-31-10, 11:30 AM

Re: DVD Talk review of 'Sherlock Holmes'

Dear Mr. Walker,
For the most part I agree with your review. I also agree with FilmGuy450"s comment about Watson's portrayal in the novels. I love Basil Rathbone's Holmes and it was my image of the Great Detective until supplanted by Jeremy Brett's portrayal. I highly recommend viewing Jeremy Brett's Holmes to anyone who enjoyed Basil Rathbone's portrayal but especially those who loved the stories.
Old 04-09-10, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: DVD Talk review of 'Sherlock Holmes'

Perhaps I am the wrong kind of Holmes purist, but this:
Holmes is a hard-living eccentric, gifted with superior intellect and observational skills, who drinks too much, can carry himself well in hand-to-hand combat, and looks like he often forgets to bathe.
is the description of Holmes I would have given, based on Doyle's works. I have not seen Rathbone hardly at all, and only some of Brett's Holmes. Perhaps they are the revisionist era? The review intrigues me, I'll have to pick up the Downey, Jr. film. (haven't seen that either)

Ok, the "hard-living" isn't very accurate.

Last edited by Spiky; 04-09-10 at 12:29 AM.