Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

3D screens on the grand (massive) scale - the alternative to IMAX

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 03-30-10, 07:23 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

With exhibitors clamouring for their theatres to deliver the 3D experience on the largest screens possible there are three immediate alternatives, one from Cinemark, one from Marcus and the other from AMC

Cinemark's XD 'Extreme Digital' systems:
"Get face to face with the action and experience cinema like never before."
- Wall to wall screen"
- custom sound system

~

Having only been to the XD Auditorium at the Cinemark Egyptian 24 (formerly Muvico) for 'How to Train Your Dragon' - it's a 70ft wide screen. 24 speakers. It was pretty spectacular.

---------

Marcus Theatres® to Install Digital RealD 3D Systems in Eight 70-Foot-Wide UltraScreens®

UltraScreen XL3D experience will “wow” moviegoers

Marcus Theatres®, a division of The Marcus Corporation (NYSE: MCS), today announced it will install digital 3D systems in eight of its signature 70-foot-wide UltraScreens® in select theatre locations and will be branded as UltraScreen XL3D.

The first offering of UltraScreen XL3D, which will utilize RealD 3D technology, will be for this Friday’s release of How to Train Your Dragon on the 73-foot wide UltraScreenat the Marcus Majestic Cinema in Brookfield, Wis. The additional seven UltraScreen RealD 3D installations are expected to be completed in time for the May 21, 2010 release of Shrek Forever After. With the addition of the eight UltraScreen3D systems, Marcus Theatres will offer digital 3D at 61 screens at 43 locations in seven states – nearly 80% of its locations and 10% of its screens.

“The digital UltraScreen XL3D presentation on gigantic screens will be among the largest 3D screens in North America,” said Bruce J. Olson, president of Marcus Theatres. “Our signature UltraScreens allow moviegoers to experience blockbusters on a screen that is more than three-stories tall and five-times the square footage area of a typical movie screen. By adding life-like RealD 3D technology to our UltraScreens, moviegoers will be speechless at the amazing quality and immersive images projected on the screen.”

Olson said the RealD 3D technology on such a large curved screen will create a visual experience so real moviegoers will feel part of the movie at every angle and dimension. “We are thrilled to be one of the select movie theatre exhibitors in the Midwest to provide this cutting-edge technology on huge screens for our guests. The Majestic UltraScreen XL3D will be the largest 3D screen in Milwaukee, by a wide margin.”

Earlier this month, the company announced plans to install an additional 19 RealD digital 3D systems at traditional screens in select theatre locations. The new installations are expected to be completed in April.

RealD will provide 3D projection technology and glasses for the eight Marcus UltraScreen XL3D auditoriums. UltraScreen XL3D will be offered at the following Marcus Theatres locations:

Wisconsin
Majestic Cinemas, Brookfield
Point Cinemas, Madison
North Shore Cinemas, Mequon
Marcus Cinema at the Renaissance, Sturtevant

Illinois
Elgin Cinemas, Elgin
Orland Park Cinemas, Orland Park

Minnesota
Oakdale Cinemas, Oakdale

Ohio
Pickerington Cinemas, Pickerington

----------

AMC introduces new, premium theater auditoriums

AMC is rolling out its ETX Format in theaters with a combination of packaged amenities.

AMC Theaters has announced a new way for movie goers to experience films on the big screen with the AMC Enhanced Theatre Experience (ETX).

This new movie-going experience will have:
- 20% larger screens
- An upgraded sound system
- 3D technology
- Digital projection
- 12 audio channels with 50,000 watts of power

ETX will debut in the United States on March 5th at the AMC Theatre at Downtown Disney in the Walt Disney World Resort.

~~~~

the upside of these systems is that since they are part of Digital Cinema Initiative (DCI) program - the audio of the systems can accomodate uip to 16 channels of sound - so far it's 5.1, but with the upcoming release of 'Toy Story 3' these systems can and will be upgradable to 7.1 channels of discrete stereo surround sound, something that IMAX (film) and IMAX-Digital systems can't do, their surrounds are only and will be only, two channel stereo sound.

Last edited by Giles; 03-08-11 at 08:40 PM.
Old 03-30-10, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts
Re: 3D screens on the grand (massive) scale - the alternative to IMAX

Am I the only one who would game with a screen that big?
Old 03-31-10, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by RocShemp
how about 'God of War III'?
Old 03-31-10, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by Giles
how about 'God of War III'?
Yup. And Uncharted 2 and Killzone 2.
Old 03-31-10, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts

There was a time when all screens were this big.
Old 04-02-10, 05:25 PM

the great thing about the screens is that unlike the IMAX/ IMAX-lite (digital) screens, they can rotate different movies in and out on a more consistent and quicker turn around. For example even though the XD screen at the Egyptian is showing two screenings a day of 'How to Train Your Dragon', they've added 'Clash of the Titans (3D)' today - guess I'm gonna have to make the 40 minute trek out there again to see 'Clash' sometime next week.
Old 04-02-10, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516
There was a time when all screens were this big.
You're right and I think that's kind of sad.
Old 04-13-10, 11:44 AM

Regal enters the fray:

Regal Entertainment Group Launches New Giant Screen Format RPX: Regal Premium Experience(SM)
Theatres to offer an enhanced experience in sight and sound

KNOXVILLE, Tenn., Apr 08, 2010 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- Regal Entertainment Group a leading motion picture exhibitor owning and operating the largest theatre circuit in the United States, announced the launch of a new giant screen all-digital format called the Regal Premium Experience(SM) ("RPX"). The RPX is a custom-built premium environment featuring elegant and luxurious seats with high-back headrests, a giant immersive screen illuminated by high-quality digital projectors and completed with a state-of-the-art sound system for the best picture you've ever heard!

"Regal patrons have shown a strong preference for viewing films in premium environments," stated Greg Dunn, President and Chief Operating Officer for Regal Entertainment Group. "Each RPX location will be individually designed and tailored by our technicians and will feature high-quality digital projectors and screens complemented by a custom surround sound system. The addition of the RPX locations to Regal's already successful IMAX(R) strategy will complement and extend the number of Regal theatres featuring premium movie-going experiences."

Regal Entertainment Group currently operates 43 IMAX(R) Theatres. The company expects to add The IMAX Experience(R) to additional locations while also launching additional RPX locations in 2010.

The first RPX location will open on May 7 at Regal Cinemas E-Walk Stadium 13 on 42nd Street in New York. The Regal Premium Experience at E-Walk will include a massive screen stretching more than 60 feet wide to present bright, eye-popping movies in RealD 3D and 2D. The brightest, clearest images possible are delivered to the screen by dual 30,000 lumen digital projectors. The 100,000 watt digital audio system will surround moviegoers in a specially designed 9.1 speaker array providing pinpoint sound. This powerful sound system incorporates 273 loudspeaker components including eight 21" subwoofers for deep resonating bass.

Tickets for Iron Man 2 in RPX at Regal Cinemas E-Walk Stadium 13 will be on-sale this Friday, April 9th, 2010.
Old 04-13-10, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live near an Ultra Screen and it's awesome. I really try as hard as I can to see the movie I want to see on that screen. Sometimes it just doesn't work out, but the Ultra Screen really is better.

The big screen is great, but what really makes it a better experience for me is the sound. The sound in the Ultra Screen blows everything else away.
Old 04-13-10, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

When I was saw Avatar in XD at a Cinemark theater in Vegas, I was severely disappointed.

- The theater wasn't that big to begin with.
- The screen did not go from floor to ceiling. It wasn't that much larger than the screen it replaced.
- The sound difference was completely unnoticeable, despite having speakers all around the auditorium (including behind the screen itself).

I was more amazed by the fifteen-minutes I saw during the IMAX 3D preview rather than the 2K XD screening of the feature film.

If RPX is full-on 4K, then I say bring it. Sucks that I don't think there's a Regal theater in Vegas capable of doing RPX with the dimensions, but I'd support it.
Old 04-17-10, 10:29 AM

I'd hope that the RPX systems does use 4K systems since Texas Instruments will be releasing 4K DLP later in the year.

I hope Regal doesn't use Sony 4K systems since I was very very impressed with the 2K Barco system that Cinemark uses for their XD screen (at the Egyptian) - the resolution and brightness exceeded what I experienced with Sony's system when I saw 'How to Train Your Dragon' at Mazza Galleria.

I spoke with the manager at the Egyptian and he stated that with the 3D films on the XD screen they
brighten the light output to compensate the 3D glasses darkening the image.

as for sound, the surround channels were much more active than the Sony presentation, alot of phantom imaging in the rear, that created a faux DTS-ES/DD-EX effect.

hopefully I'll get a chance to see 'Clash of the Titans 3D' next week to give my impressions on a live action 3D film on the XD screen.
Old 04-17-10, 11:49 AM

Received 1,829 Likes on 1,088 Posts

Life-size Super Mario Brothers.
Old 04-19-10, 05:45 PM

in regards to Clash of the Titans on the Cinemark XD screen, the film already had this monochromatic look where there wasn't alot of color to begin, so it really didn't have any pop to the image. The 3D worked sometimes, but that wasn't the fault of the system. The real star though was once again the sound, the Kraken coming out the water, the bass really kicked in. Medusa laughing in the rear channels as she slithered 'behind you' as well as the scorpion attack was incredible.
Old 04-20-10, 09:42 AM

ticket pricing, Regal is the most expensive at $18.50. Cinemark's is a flat out $14.50 (no matinee reduced pricing). AMC's is $13.00 ($11.00 matinee) for 'Kick-Ass' (non-3D feature, 3D might be more). Marcus: $12 / 10 (matinee)
Old 08-30-10, 04:16 PM

went the XD route for 'Avatar: Special Edition' and wow - it did not disappoint. I thought the sound was superior to the IMAX setup, with more speakers in the rear surround channels - which made the soundfield very expansive. During the fall of the 'hometree' the bass was so thunderous and intense - the hairs on my neck and arms stood straight up. Now oddly, there was some mention that because the XD screens are 1.78, the presentation of 'Avatar' would be that aspect ratio (as it is on the DVD/bluray)... well it wasn't it was 2.35 - the black borders weren't distracting in the least but I thought it odd since I thought that the presentation would be full screen.
Old 09-24-10, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts

I finally got to check out AMC's ETX. Screen is big...slightly smaller than IMAX. The sound was kick-ass. Dialog was crisp and clear. During gun-fire and car-chase sequences (we saw "The Town") the sound was very aggressive. Nice.
Old 09-24-10, 08:13 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Like the big screen. The 3D? Not so much.
Old 09-27-10, 10:05 AM

I went and saw Resident Evil 4 at Tysons' IMAX-Digital screen and when compared to Cinemark's XD screen (which is more or less the same dimension and size) it was flawed - noticeably glarring and reflection on the glasses emitted from the screen, it was a very odd and distracting. This though I have never encountered with the glasses on the XD screen.
Old 10-13-10, 05:50 PM

word is that a DC theatre is getting the ETX conversion, "in town" .... as early as November... to say anymore since the timing is not set in the stone, and is subject to change, but is definately in the works is really really exciting news.
Old 10-13-10, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

You would love to live by me. A local theater i go to has a saturday 'game night'. All the screens are hooked up to the new game systems.
Old 03-01-11, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Giles
word is that a DC theatre is getting the ETX conversion, "in town" .... as early as November... to say anymore since the timing is not set in the stone, and is subject to change, but is definately in the works is really really exciting news.
well the Uptown was rumoured to get the conversion, but thankfully AMC was smart enough to install a Christie dual DLP projector (4K upgradeable) - no ETX surcharges

the theatre that is getting the ETX conversion is actually a screen over at Tyson's Corner (I'm thinking it's going to be the other large screen, auditorium #11) on March 18th

here is a list of AMC's ETX screens:

AMC ETX
Old 03-01-11, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

CineMark is putting a XD auditorium at their Santa Fe Station location here in Vegas. Weird as I thought some of their other locations (such as the Orleans 18 or Suncoast 16) would see it first due to their popularity (and the fact they're located in areas with a population willing to spend more money). One of their first XD locations, the South Point 16 here in town, actually just added a second XD auditorium not too long ago.

Galaxy Theatres, a smaller chain, has what's called DFX (Digital Fusion Experience) in one auditorium at their only theater here in town...

Galaxy Theatres proudly introduces a new, proprietary large-format venue that combines the most cutting-edge audio and production technologies in the industry, delivering a shockingly realistic experience. Developed to rival existing large-format technologies, DFX is a highly sophisticated fusion of Dolby(R) Surround 7.1 that produces 16,000 watts of power to a series of JBL Speakers, Christie Brilliant3D projection with triple flash technology and a towering multi-story high movie screen creating an explosive, larger-than-life movie adventure.

Do you dare to DFX?
I can't find any pictures or reviews of it.

Still no plans for any RPX auditoriums here in Vegas either.
Old 03-08-11, 08:37 PM

Essex Cinemas in Vermont has a large screen.. and it's called... get ready for it... T-Rex (love the name) "Theatre Real EXtreme"

http://www.essexcinemas.com/theatrerealextreme.php

and Carmike Cinemas have "Big-D"

BIG D Now Open in Columbus, GA, Franklin, TN, & Canton, GA

“The BigD –Large Format Digital Experience will feature Bigger Screens, Bigger Sound and Bigger, more Luxurious Seats providing the Ultimate Entertainment Experience”, said David Passman, Carmike’s President and CEO. The auditorium will include a wall to wall giant screen measuring 78 feet wide and 35 feet tall, custom luxury seating, the latest in 7.1 surround sound and DIGITAL projection for both 2D and 3D features. Carmike has launched the Ultimate Entertainment Experience in Columbus, GA at the Carmike 15 in July; Franklin, TN at the Thoroughbred 20 in November; and Canton, Ga at the Riverstone 15. Additional theatre sites participating in the initial rollout will be the Wynnsong 11 in Savannah, GA; the Shiloh 14 in Billings, MT; and the Carmike 14 in Tyler, TX all opening in the near future. Plans for the BigD-Large Format Digital Experience will include approximately 24 more locations by the end of 2011. Whether it be a movie, concert, sporting event, motivational speaker or church service, patrons will find BigD placing them at the heart of the event,” said Dale Hurst, Carmike’s Director of Marketing. Carmike Cinemas has been the leader in Digital Projection and 3D technology since 2006 and is the only national circuit exclusively using DIGITAL Projection in all its theatres showing the newest Hollywood movie releases. So don't delay, buy your tickets now and experience the BIG D!

Last edited by Giles; 01-23-12 at 03:48 PM.