Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Affordable sandman...?

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Affordable sandman...?

Old 03-30-10, 01:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Affordable sandman...?

I'm interested in acquiring all four volumes of the Absolute Sandman series, but the cost (@ $65 on Amazon) is incredibly steep. Anyone know of a reputable source for used comics/graphic novels? Thanks.
Old 03-30-10, 02:22 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Affordable sandman...?

Amazon is usually the cheapest place to get it, but you may get lucky on eBay. Also know that Volume 2 is out of print and it's fetching over $150 in the secondary market. I just sold my Vol 2 for $200.
Old 03-30-10, 04:12 PM
Cool New Member

$65 per volume is affordable given the size and list cost of these oversized editions. If you really want to read Sandman but pay less then there's always the trade paperbacks.

Volume 2 of Absolute Sandman has been reprinted, but it's taking a while to get shipped over here from China.
Old 03-30-10, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Please explain how $65 for a $100 book is "incredibly steep"? I mean what are you expecting.
Old 03-30-10, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want the series cheaper, just buy the standard softcovers. You aren't going to do much better than that price on Amazon.
Old 03-31-10, 04:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Looks like Volume One is out of print now, too. (Or, at the least, is currently unavailable through Amazon.)
Old 03-31-10, 11:55 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Looks like Volume One is out of print now, too. (Or, at the least, is currently unavailable through Amazon.)
Still available at Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Absolute-Sandm...0054522&sr=8-1
Old 04-10-10, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

+1 on the what are you expecting. I mean, it's your money and you could certainly hold out for a Don Martin-kind of deal, but it seems like a long shot to me. (I missed out on Don Martin )
Old 04-10-10, 01:18 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

FWIW, the Sandman absolutes are really nice, with plenty of content, and some of the issues have been re-colored for better clarity. $65 per book is a perfectly decent price to pay, if you ask me.
Old 04-10-10, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I bought volume 1 on Half.com for 50 cents. It didn't have a slipcover but it was in perfect condition.
Old 05-07-10, 10:55 AM

Thanks for the input. I broke down and got Vol 1 from Amazon--friggin amazing production on all fronts. Vol 2 is en route from Hastings for $35 during their recent sale. While GNs are still new to me I'm down for collecting all of Sandman and The Walking Dead, w/ less emphasis on Sin City and a few other horror titles.

I was into Preacher but Vol 3 of the collected softcovers was printed on shitty newspaper stock, unlike Vols 1, 2, 4, etc. Anyone know why?
Old 05-07-10, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts

^ Because DC stopped giving a shit about their soft-cover (and some hard-cover) collections - saving a buck...
Old 05-08-10, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Originally Posted by The Consul

I was into Preacher but Vol 3 of the collected softcovers was printed on shitty newspaper stock, unlike Vols 1, 2, 4, etc. Anyone know why?
Earlier printings of the collections were printed on better paper, I believe.

I never bought any of the Preacher collections since I bought all of the original comics. The comics were printed on nice paper stock up until issue #49, when they started using that awful paper that's rough, off-colored, and makes the colors look muddy.

I'm guessing they save a few pennies per unit printing the books on shitty paper, so they use that on almost everything now.
Old 05-09-10, 11:10 PM

The new recolored editions of the TPB's will start being released in October. They use the same recolored pages from the absolute editions

http://www.dccomics.com/vertigo/grap...vels/?gn=14398
Old 05-20-10, 01:04 AM
Cool New Member

The new recolored editions of the TPB's will start being released in October. They use the same recolored pages from the absolute editions
I have all the paperback trades in good to nearly new condition. The one reason I considered getting the Absolutes was for the recolored pages. I held off because of the cost and they would be too large to display in my apartment. I know that DC doing alternate covers for the recolored trades, but I really like the covers for the 90s trade paperbacks.
Old 06-19-10, 10:19 AM

I was fortunate enough that my local Library carried all the entire Sandman collection. I've been planning to read it all over again, but I'll be using my own copies this time around. $65 sounds a lot better than the $100 I paid for mine. :-p
Old 06-19-10, 05:36 PM
Banned

Volume 2 is back in print.
Old 07-12-10, 07:57 AM

Anyone know why Volume 2 is under review at Amazon?
Old 07-12-10, 09:41 AM
Banned

While this item is available from other marketplace sellers on this page, it is not currently offered by Amazon.com because customers have told us there may be something wrong with our inventory of the item, the way we are shipping it, or the way it's described here. (Thanks for the tip!)

We're working to fix the problem as quickly as possible.
That means that either Amazon isn't packing the orders well and they are arriving with some damage or that there is a problem with the new printing they received.
Old 07-12-10, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts

Half the big hardcovers I get from amazon arrive damaged because they're packaged like shit (bubble packs placed on top, with none on the side, allowing the books' sides and corners to easily get damaged during shipping). The bigger/heavier the book (like Absolutes and Omnibuses), the more likely the damage. I always have to return them, and the replacements aren't packaged any better, I just get lucky that they didn't get dinged up.
Old 07-12-10, 02:56 PM

Amazon packs these books terribly. I have noticed packaging does depend on the warehouse they come out of though.
Old 07-17-10, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well worth the money. For me Sandman is the greatest story every told in comic book form.
Old 07-17-10, 07:30 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Agreed. What Gaiman did in that book is far beyond 95% of all the comics I've ever read.
Old 08-04-10, 08:24 AM

Got all four Absolute editions, one used, the others at modest discounts, plus the Japanese spin-off, the book jacket art, and the mythos evaluation. A headfirst dive into The Sandman. Finished Vol 1 and enjoyed it immensely, though I understand that the horror elements so well depicted in the Dr Destiny story will be lessened in future volumes. Nonetheless a superlative "comic" which someone like Peter Jackson needs to make into a multi-film extravaganza....
Old 08-07-10, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Half the big hardcovers I get from amazon arrive damaged because they're packaged like shit (bubble packs placed on top, with none on the side, allowing the books' sides and corners to easily get damaged during shipping). The bigger/heavier the book (like Absolutes and Omnibuses), the more likely the damage. I always have to return them, and the replacements aren't packaged any better, I just get lucky that they didn't get dinged up.
Originally Posted by MarkHarrill
Amazon packs these books terribly. I have noticed packaging does depend on the warehouse they come out of though.
And here I thought I was just unlucky with Amazon shipping comic stuff. I stopped ordering trade paperbacks from them because their shipping process is obviously not designed to leave the books in pristine condition, almost always leaving creases and bends on the covers. I have a little better luck with hardcovers, just because they happen to be sturdier and less prone to bending.

Amazon needs to rethink how they ship these things. Comic buyers want their stuff in pristine condition, and it looks like they treat them no different than the standard cheap $5.99 novel paperbacks.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.