DVD Talk
Question about Best Buy/Future Shop Disney Blu-ray Steelbooks [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Question about Best Buy/Future Shop Disney Blu-ray Steelbooks

BuckNaked2k
03-25-10, 09:38 PM
Much to my dismay, I just unwrapped my POTC COBP steelbook exclusive from Best Buy. I found that the bonus disc was in a paper sleeve glue-tacked to the back of the case. Inside the case, was just the standard one-disc tray with the movie.

Now, my Bug's Life steelbook exclusive from Best Buy has a two-disc inner tray, but only one disc (they discontinued the digital copy when it expired, no big whoop).

My question is, has anyone ever popped out one of these plastic trays, or are they glued or fused to the case? If so, was it easy to do, and easy to put back together, or will it destroy the case entirely?

Obviously, I'd like to swap out the plastic trays to permit better storage of the discs.

Thanks.

Kory
03-25-10, 11:29 PM
Popping the tray out is a pretty easy process. If you take any sort of really sharp knife and insert it in between the plastic and the metal along the top (or bottom) edge of one of the corners closest to the spine, and make a slight prying motion, they will pop right off.

The tough part is switching the spines.

Once you have the covers pried off, boil some water. After it's boiling, hold the plastic insert and dip the spine into the water and hold it there for approximately 3.5 to 4 minutes. This will soften the tape/glue that is used to hold it on, and allow you to remove it fairly easily.

Again, take a very thin, flat knife or other object, and gently ease it underneath the edge of the spine. Run it along in between the spine and the case, being careful not to pull on the spine too hard, because once they're bent, they are ruined.

While the adhesive is still hot and soft, peel the rest of it off of the case and the spine. Then to re-apply it to the correct case, I'd recommend buying some high quality double-sided tape (Scotch works fine) as this seems to be of the same adhesive strength and thickness as whatever was holding it on before. cut yourself a piece and apply it to the spine, and then apply the spine to the correct case, and voila, you have switched out your case. I've done it several times and it works great.

BuckNaked2k
03-26-10, 11:25 AM
Thanks Kory. I was with ya until the part about boiling the strip off the spine....

Kory
03-26-10, 12:00 PM
I know it sounds extreme, but it seriously works extremely well.

jjcool
03-26-10, 03:43 PM
Or:
http://www.shop4tech.com/item5658.html

Stick another hub in the case.

BuckNaked2k
03-26-10, 04:30 PM
^ Yea, that might be easier for me, but I'm not sure I need 100.