Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

ANy suggstions for portable dvd player?? (brand, quality, price, etc)

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

ANy suggstions for portable dvd player?? (brand, quality, price, etc)

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-00, 11:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm commuting on a train and need some entertainment. I don't want something super-pricey b/c it'll be just for the commute. I already have a nice home theater so I don't want to splurge on the portable.

However, I don't want a cheap thing that'll break easily, or get hot very fast. (I've read some reviews on other sites) I would like a 7" screen, but do any of you have a 5" screen. How is that?

Thanks for any info.
Old 08-07-00, 11:26 PM

i've got a panasonic dvd L-10 that i got about 2 years ago, it's a bit bulky compared to the ones they have now but it's a great dvd player for train,plane etc. it's got a 5" screen and you could probably get one now for around 400 or so, check ebay. a really nice one with a 7" screen is the new panasonic L-75 i think that's the model. it's got both DD and DTS. i think aiwa and sharp also have portables and they're all around 900-1200.
Old 08-07-00, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've got the Pioneer LC10 and am very happy with this model. It has a 7" screen and can be found for about $900. The baterry tray is kinda thick but the battery last approx 3 1/2 hours. Extra batteries run around $100 I believe.

------------------
Now Playing
Old 08-08-00, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts
I also own the Pioneer LC10. I have used it on plane trips, in the car (with a cigarette adapter), and at work on my lunch breaks. After looking at ALL the different brands, I went with the Pioneer and I was not disappointed. (It's not the most expensive or the cheapest player out there.)
Old 08-08-00, 02:40 PM
AW

The Panasonic DVD-L10 has a 5.8 inch screen. The main difference between this player and the DVD-L55 is screen size (5.8" v. 5") and battery weight (much less for the L55. I think Aiwa or audiovoix currently markets a version of the L10.
Old 08-08-00, 02:52 PM

You might also consider getting a portable player w/o the screen and then buying sony's LCD glasses (can't remember the name). If you do get one with a screen though, I would go with the Panasonic w/7" screen. It just seems to have a nicer picture than all the others
Old 08-08-00, 05:21 PM

Thanks for all the advice guys...keep em coming. I'm sorta wavering now between the Panisonic and pioneer 7" players.

Which one is more durable? Do the batteries last about the same time? Does one get hotter? Does one skip more than another? I gather extra batteries are about $100 a piece. But how long would it take to recharge the same battery if I only use it on the morning commute, then charge it for the night commute?

I know, I know, too many questions. But I appreciate all your help.. THANKS

[This message has been edited by Rupin (edited August 08, 2000).]
Old 08-08-00, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The Pioneer is the best one on the market although the new Sony looks pretty nice.

------------------
MY SHORT BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

"The earth does not belong to people; people belong to the earth. Everything that happens to the earth happens also to the sons and daughters of the earth." -Chief Seattle.
Old 08-08-00, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts
The Pioneer battery last about 3 and half hours and recharges quickly--maybe a couple of hours. The new Pansonic holds a longer charge--I've "heard" 4 to 4 and half hours.
The Pioneer does get a little warm, but the battery holder is good at sheilding you from the heat. I've "heard" that the Panasonic used to/still does? get very hot.

The Pioneer battery cost a hundred bucks; I've "heard" that the Panasonic battery is more expensive. The Pioneer is very durable; I can't speak for the others. The new Sony is more expensive and has pretty much the same picture quality as the Pioneers and and Pansonics. The door on the Sony "seems" pretty flimsy to me. You might also want to check out the Sharp player before purchasing--I've "heard" good things about it. (Sound & Vision has written articles about the Pansonic, Pioneer, and Sharp portables.)

Stay away from the Aiwas--I've "heard" that they suffer from a dead pixel problem.

("heard"=things I've read on the Internet from users)