Southland -- "The Runner" -- 03/23/10

Old 03-23-10, 04:24 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,628 Likes on 2,603 Posts
Southland -- "The Runner" -- 03/23/10

Photobucket

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
The murder of a USC student takes investigators to Compton. Elsewhere, John and Ben attend the funeral of a cop and stop in to visit Dewey at his halfway house. And Lydia decides it's time to confront her mother.

2 more episodes left after this one.

Okay I haven't been around the last few weeks to do threads for episodes 2 and 3, but did anyone here watch U-Boat last week? I know probably most of you think Southland is good, but there isn't much to say about it. However, U-Boat was probably one of the best episodes I have seen from this show.

Loved that the episode focused on Sherman riding alone and dealing with the missing kid, the abused kid and the stalker. Thought the scene with the stalker attacking and murdering the woman that he met earlier was creepy and heartbreaking. Sherman did give him a nice beatdown.

I also liked Cooper being a real hardass on Chickie since her problems with Dewey have obviously affected her.

The stuff with Lydia and Rene has been pretty good with the exception of her weird obsession with Russell. Not 100% certain, but I think Clifton Collins Jr will be introduced in this episode as a new detective.
Old 03-23-10, 09:58 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
Re: Southland -- "The Runner" -- 03/23/10

Ben McKenzie's blog entry on this week's episode

http://www.tvguide.com/Celebrity-Blo...e-1016561.aspx

Southland's Ben McKenzie on His Love for C. Thomas Howell
Mar 23, 2010 10:30 AM ET
by Ben McKenzie

All week I've been trying to come up with a subject for this blog post. It's not that I don't have plenty to choose from as "The Runner" features a new partner for Lydia, the murder of a college athlete, and a trip to desert for John and Ben. Rather, I think I've been a bit overly serious in some prior posts and I want to have fun on this one. So, without further ado, a little love letter to one of my favorite actors, who also happens to work on "Southland." C. Thomas Howell. I love C. Thomas Howell.

I'm sure you have seen him in any number of movies over the years (The Outsiders, Red Dawn, The Hitcher, Side Out, Soul Man, etc.). He's been working consistently for decades, ever since he booked a role on E.T. at the tender age of fifteen. Now he plays alcoholic burnout Billy Dewey, an LAPD officer so reckless and impulsive that he always seems to leave a trail of destruction in his wake. From befriending Tom Sizemore (sorry actor "Timmy Davis") to going on a bender-induced joyride that nearly kills both him and his partner, it's always exciting when Officer Dewey is on screen. His character has been somewhat controversial for fans of the show because he seems to possess almost every quality a cop should not have. Is his character a bit over the top? Yes. Would he have been kicked out of the force a long time ago for such poor behavior? Most likely. The way Tommy plays him, however, I can't help but love the guy. He's like a kid who's had too much caffeine, creating crisis after crisis to fulfill the desperate thrill-seeker inside. Or maybe his behavior is just an elaborate subconscious cry for help; if he can just do something bad enough, he will get himself kicked off the force and be forced to confront his demons.

I understand that some fans of the show (and some real-life cops) object to having a clearly unfit cop in the line of duty, but to me he's the spark plug for a lot great conflict between his fellow officers. And it is a TV show, after all. We are not real cops, nor could we ever be (well maybe Michael Cudlitz, but that's beside the point). I love Tommy and what he does with the role. His passion for the show is infectious, and his manic energy helps drive every scene in which he appears. Watch this week's episode and you will see a terrific actor giving a great performance.
Old 03-23-10, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk God

I absolutely hated C. Thomas Howell as Dewey last season. To me he was a little too over the top playing a drunk Cop.
Old 03-23-10, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 414 Likes on 299 Posts

Any word on the show getting renewed yet?
Old 03-24-10, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk God

Nope. The actors are still contracted until June. So TNT will need to make a decision soon.
Old 03-24-10, 03:43 AM
DVD Talk God

If anyone is curious, episode 3, which aired last week, was Amaury Nolasco's (Rene) final appearance on the show. Clifton Collins was introduced as a new detective in this episode.
Old 03-24-10, 08:40 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
If anyone is curious, episode 3, which aired last week, was Amaury Nolasco's (Rene) final appearance on the show. Clifton Collins was introduced as a new detective in this episode.
With almost no fanfair or explanation. That was a bit strange.

Loving this show. Hope it gets picked up.
Old 03-24-10, 10:21 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 106 Likes on 95 Posts

However Clifton Collins is much better than Amaury Nolasco.

I instantly liked him.

Loved last nights ep. esp the car ride home after the funeral
Old 03-24-10, 12:48 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

I remember this casting change made some headlines last fall. I don't think there was an explanation for Nolasco's departure other than he abruptly left the project.
Old 03-24-10, 01:03 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 106 Likes on 95 Posts

and now I know why I like Clifton, he was in sunshine cleaning..
Old 03-24-10, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

He has been a lot of good stuff including The Shield. I hope Southland gets renewed it is so much better than Dark Blue.
Old 03-24-10, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by BigDaddy
He has been a lot of good stuff including The Shield. I hope Southland gets renewed it is so much better than Dark Blue.
It's a much more realistic portrayal IMO of Police work than Dark Blue and I love how it's shot. I also think it's a better written show than The Closer, even though that is TNT's #1 scripted drama. Nevertheless, Dark Blue is still entertaining and has the production value of a mini feature film.
Old 03-25-10, 11:29 AM

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Did I miss something in that it was already known to Sherman that Cooper is gay (bi-sexual?). On the way home, Cooper very casually mentioned seeing his deceased friend at gay bars (and was ignored), and I couldn't really read the reaction on Sherman's face.

Thos.
Old 03-25-10, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Thos19
Did I miss something in that it was already known to Sherman that Cooper is gay (bi-sexual?). On the way home, Cooper very casually mentioned seeing his deceased friend at gay bars (and was ignored), and I couldn't really read the reaction on Sherman's face.

Thos.
No Ben didn't know about Cooper being gay. I think the only thing he knew about was the pill addiction for his "back problems"
Old 03-28-10, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

i don't think ben ignored it. i think he didn't know what to say. i didn't like that they didn't go into why regina king's partner was replaced. they could've very easily explained it since they had talked about how he called in some favors to get on that detail. just make it like he got promoted to some other gig or something.
Old 03-28-10, 04:38 PM

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

I didn't mean that I thought Ben ignored it. I thought that the look on his face was either, "wow, my partner just revealed to me that he is gay" or "wow, my partner who is a closeted, gay cop who has a pill problem, had a friend who was also a closeted gay cop and committed suicide, probably, as a result."

In any case, I love this show. And I agree with "Deftones", they should have mentioned what happened to Sucre.

Thos.
Old 03-28-10, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
and now I know why I like Clifton, he was in sunshine cleaning..
He was great in "The Stoned Age"