Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

X-Box 360 and E74 Error

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-10, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
X-Box 360 and E74 Error

I've had my 360 for two years and I got the error last Friday. The screen looked like the video feed was having problems and when I turned it off and then on, I got the error.

This is only the 2nd system in all my years of gaming that I've had a problem with a system. My first, the original Playstation, two pieces of the spindle came off but it's probably from extended use and just eventually wore out from placing and removing the many discs I played. It still works, but fear of scratching my discs has prevented me from using it. Other then that, my only other problems came with the Atari 2600 joysticks which kept breaking.

I called MS and they will repair it under warranty but I have to provide the shipping box now. I hope I get my system back instead of a replacement.

I'm also thinking of buying another 360 and wanted some feedback. I could get the Arcade and just connect my hard drive to it. Target has $50 gift card for the Arcade I believe. BB has a $50 gift card for the Elite Forza 3/Halo Wars bundle this week. There is also the Final Fantasy system. Does anyone have any info on the chipset used for the currect models?
Old 03-22-10, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: X-Box 360 and E74 Error

When I sent my system in after getting the E74 error, MS fixed it and sent the same unit back. It's been working like a champ for almost two years now. It seemed to be noticably louder though when I got it back. All the new systems use the same Jasper chip. If you can get an Arcade unit with the $50 gift card from Target I would go that route.
Old 03-22-10, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Glad to know you got yours back. I'll hopefully get mine back.
Old 03-23-10, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 119 Likes on 107 Posts

There are several places on the web that have a list of the error codes. From one it says E74 is a ......AV Cable error.

http://www.llamma.com/xbox360/repair...rror-codes.htm
Old 03-23-10, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by K&AJones
There are several places on the web that have a list of the error codes. From one it says E74 is a ......AV Cable error.

http://www.llamma.com/xbox360/repair...rror-codes.htm

Thanks, I'll try any AV cable, but why wouldn't MS just ask me to try this before sending it in?
Old 03-23-10, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 119 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Gideon68
Thanks, I'll try any AV cable, but why wouldn't MS just ask me to try this before sending it in?

I'm guessing they think most owners don't really check or inquire about the codes or the flashing lights on the 'Ring". I got the "Red Ring of Death" and wanted to know the causes. There is a sequence you do and based on the number of flashes on which part of the power button you can find out where the issue is which 90% of the time is heat related.....around the heat sinks and cpu's. I ended up fixing it myself and still going. I think MS figures the overall majority don't care what codes or flashing lights mean; if it ain't working send it in.